Pro Wrestling Only

The NBA Playoffs are pro wrestling

goodhelmet

Everyone wants to talk about how the NBA needs to redo their conferences and I figured the best way to do it is separate kinda like MLB & NFL did and not go by just East & West

The current geographic works in terms of travel.

I don't think people have issues with the Conferences/Divisions. There's always a cyclical nature of come being stronger than others, so very few talk about strength of schedule.

The issue is:

67-15 Golden State Warriors (.817)

60-22 Atlanta Hawks (.732)

56-26 Houston Rockets (.683)

56-26 Los Angeles Clippers (.683)

55-27 Memphis Grizzlies (.671)

55-27 San Antonio Spurs (.671)

53-29 Cleveland Cavaliers (.646)

51-31 Portland Trail Blazers (.622)

50-32 Dallas Mavericks (.610)

50-32 Chicago Bulls (.610)

49-33 Toronto Raptors (.598)

46-36 Washington Wizards (.561)

45-37 New Orleans Pelicans (.549)

45-37 Oklahoma City Thunder (.549)

41-41 Milwaukee Bucks (.500)

40-42 Boston Celtics (.488)

39-43 Phoenix Suns (.476)

38-44 Utah Jazz (.463)

38-44 Brooklyn Nets (.463)

38-44 Indiana Pacers (.463)

37-45 Miami Heat (.451)

33-49 Charlotte Hornets (.402)

32-50 Detroit Pistons (.390)

30-52 Denver Nuggets (.366)

29-53 Sacramento Kings (.354)

25-57 Orlando Magic (.305)

21-61 Los Angeles Lakers (.256)

18-64 Philadelphia 76ers (.220)

17-65 New York Knicks (.207)

16-66 Minnesota Timberwolves (.195)

It's the the Thunder out and the Nets in with 7 less wins.

Last year was worse. The Suns at 48-34 would have tied for the 3rd best record in the East. The Hawks had 10 less wins and got the 8th spot. The Warriors in 2009 had 11 more wins than the 8th place Eastern team (and more than the 4th through 7th seeds as well).

It's not hard to fix: best 16 make the post season, then "seed" them in a straight 1-16 fashion. That will make for some horrid first round match ups, but those are the breaks.

There's talk that the NBA is headed in that direction. The tough part is getting enough buy-in from owners. It likely will come with the Anti-Tanking measures.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Anti-Tanking...we're not even touching on "pro wrestling" at this point, mostly or otherwise, but is there any compelling reason for the NBA to continue weighing lottery numbers? It may have served a purpose at one time, but we've reached the point now where it seems it'd be more conducive, if you want to eliminate tanking, to just give everyone one Ping Pong ball/envelope and be done with it.

Kareem is clearly Jumbo Tsuruta. Both star rookies; both aces for number two organisations; neither able to draw by themselves. Both enjoyed success by buying into a fast break offence and both became grumpy captains. Jumbo was even a hit with the ladies when he was younger. Oh, and they were both accused of being boring.

Come to think of it, Jerry West is a bit like Kawada. Never able to win the big one; forever jobbing to the team in green and white; both struggling with inner demons. Finally got over the hump with the help of a 7 footer, but when they won the crown it was a fizzer.

OK, Taue as Wilt is a bit of a stretch.

This is fun!

Rick Barry is a heel Owen Hart. Negro Casas is Isiah Thomas. Rey Mysterio started off as Nate Archibald then morphed into Russell Westbrook when he got on the PEDs.

Barry was too good to be Owen. Barry was also the most hated guy "inside" the game, while Owen was just about the most beloved guy by everyone in the business.

Barry almost is Shawn Michaels. Shawn didn't jump promotions like Barry did several times. But he was a dick, walked out on his team, sat out to get his way, badmouthed everyone, feuded with teammates... was incredibly talented, worked his ass off when he wanted to, and while "great" wasn't as great as he thought of himself.

Barry was too good to be Owen. Barry was also the most hated guy "inside" the game, while Owen was just about the most beloved guy by everyone in the business.

Barry almost is Shawn Michaels. Shawn didn't jump promotions like Barry did several times. But he was a dick, walked out on his team, sat out to get his way, badmouthed everyone, feuded with teammates... was incredibly talented, worked his ass off when he wanted to, and while "great" wasn't as great as he thought of himself.

HBK would absolutely have resorted to wearing a wig for an entire year if his hair got to that point while still performing. So there is also that.

I think Barry was much much much better at basketball than Michaels was at pro wrestling though. And for a longer time. I was trying to think of a good HBK. Personality wise, Barry is probably a good choice. But HBK was really great as a young guy then had pockets of being great then was fucking terrible for like 8 years but most people were convinced he was still great. Bret Farve feels like a better HBK comparison.

The Barry-Owen comparison was more about their promos.

Jordan has got to be Hogan, right? Biggest star in league history, fake media image, no respect for teammates or the boys in the back, scandal plagued, bald... Jordan was vastly more successful with his outside business ventures, mind you, and his only heel turn as such was as a GM or in his HOF acceptance speech.

Pretty sure Owen Hart is Bobby Phills.

Not fully comfortable with Bobby, given his recklessness / stupidity in the incident:

http://a.espncdn.com/nba/news/2000/0112/285010.html

Head on with a minivan as well, with it being a miracle that he didn't kill other people. :(

Hank Gathers was player beloved by his teammates. Tragic death. Still remembered today. Exciting "high flying" type of a team.

That would be a more fitting Owen, despite the lack of NBA time.

I want to make a Duncan is Fujiwara comp but I need to watch more Fujiwara. I would base it on "people who actually watch the footage know how good they are." but I've only really just begun digging into Fujiwara.

Duncan is a first ballot Hall of Famer who every insider and non-insider has in their Top 10 of greatest players of all time. Five titles, two MVP's, 15 All-NBA teams.

Fujiwara has exactly zero of those things.

Some fans think he's the best, or one of the best, workers of all-time. I don't know... it would be a bit like if some hardcore NBA fans championed Robert Parrish as the best basketball player of all-time. I'm sure we could come up with a logical explanation for it, build a really good argument for it, and what not.

Then the overwhelming majority of people, be they players or folks inside the game, or reporters or other harcore fans, or experts in analytics... would laugh their asses off at us.

Fujiwara is like that.

The people who champion Fujiwara's work might just be right. They can make a logical argument for it, and back it up with a whole lot of stuff. Some folks might find it compelling, especially if the sunk their teeth into his work.

But the overwhelming majority of folks would laugh their asses off. Or go, "Who in the fuck are you talking about?"

I don't know who Fujiwara is, but he's not Duncan.

He's probably closer to some underrated player like Sam Jones or Walt Fraizer. Clyde was probably too big of a star for Fujiwara to be, though New York has a lot to do with that.

Pretty sure Owen Hart is Bobby Phills.

Not fully comfortable with Bobby, given his recklessness / stupidity in the incident:

http://a.espncdn.com/nba/news/2000/0112/285010.html

Head on with a minivan as well, with it being a miracle that he didn't kill other people. :(

Hank Gathers was player beloved by his teammates. Tragic death. Still remembered today. Exciting "high flying" type of a team.

That would be a more fitting Owen, despite the lack of NBA time.

I thought about Gathers, but went with Phills because Gathers didn't make it to the league.

Not a comp to focus on or analyze. It was meant as "hahaha that was fucked up but it made me laugh" :)

My major problem with Hogan as MJ is that MJ was the biggest star in the world AND the best worker in the world. Not just in a "working effectively to please the casuals and bring them back for moret" way but in a super hardcore way as well. MJ was Flair and Hogan combined only he was a bigger star than Hulk and a better worker than Flair. He was Fast and the Furious 7 and Citizen Kane.