Pro Wrestling Only

Titans of Wrestling #46: WWF June to September 1981

http://placetobenation.com/titans-of-wrestling-46-wwf-june-to-september-1981/

titans46.png

Parv, Pete, Johnny and Kelly celebrate their return to WWF in 1981 by looking at a bunch of stuff from June to September before providing one whole HOUR of bonus content on the difficult-to-find Sgt. Slaughter vs. Pat Patterson matches from the Philly Spectrum.

On the docket tonight:

06-20 SGT SLAUGHTER vs RICK MCGRAW WWF TV

07-11 DON MURACO vs STEVE KING WWF TV

07-20 DON MURACO vs PEDRO MORALES IC TITLE MADISON SQUARE GARDEN

07-25 MOONDOGS vs GAREA/MARTEL TAG TITLE WWF TV

08-01 ANDRE THE GIANT vs MOONDOG REX PHILADELPHIA SPECTRUM

08-01 BOB BACKLUND vs MOONDOG REX WWF TV

08-81 DON MURACO PROMO WWF TV

08-15 GREG VALENTINE vs MUHAMMED SAAD WWF TV

08-15 MURACO SQUASH, RICK MCGRAW INTERVIEW WWF TV

08-22 FUJI/SAITO vs HENNIG/SD JONES WWF TV

09-19 ANGELO MOSCA SQUASH, HITS PAT WITH PITCHER WWF TV

Bonus:

04-18 SGT SLAUGHTER vs PAT PATTERSON PHILADELPHIA SPECTRUM

06-27 SGT SLAUGHTER vs MIL MASCARAS WWF TV CAPITAL CENTER

08-01 SGT SLAUGHTER vs PAT PATTERSON (alley fight) PHILADELPHIA SPECTRUM

Highlights include:

- "... and my name is, Joooooeee McHugh!"

- Kayfabe most successful manager

- Mini-bios for super-obscure jobbers Mohammad Saad and Tom Lynch

- Random discussion of Lord Alfred Hayes and Vince Jr's odd love for him

- Discussion of Masa Saito's career

- And in the BONUS hour ... round up on the Slaughter vs. Patterson series, including comparisons of the Philly and MSG matches

In regards to your discussion of cage matches and escape rules, I understand keeping it out of a blood feud for sure. The one time I see that being a viable stip is when you have the most chickenshit of heels who keeps eluding the babyface until the point they have to lock the guy in a cage to get any kind of match out of him.

I would also like to point out how it is that Marty (a known Titans associate) and Kelly are the only champions of Brainbuster so far. Anyone else think that there is some sort of Titans conspiracy going on here? :)

Johnny Sorow is obsessed with Saad's hair. Johnny must have one of those '70s comb-overs. Wearing that Yamicka all those years probably didn't help. Anyway Saad was totally inline with the style of the time. The man perm was in the mustache was in & Johnny is jealous. Parv you really got to play Poker. You got so much info from Saad's split-second reaction. Great show besides Johnny's racist rant assuming every person with an Arabic name must be connected to Binladen.

Zinkoff, who died in 1985, is one of a handful of either broadcasters or arena PA announcers to be honored by a franchise with a "retired number.". This is by a Philadelphia 76er banner at Wells Fargo arena with his name and a microphone.

Quick research, this was done as he was their PA guy from their inception (former Syracuse Nats) in 1963 through his death, as well as same roll for the Warriors (now the Golden State Warriors) from 1946-1962.

I think I may have been worse when I answered the Plan Nine From Outer Space question right while listening to Brainbuster. I only know of it because of a MST3K spinoff, but it's still kind of embarrassing that it was one of the very few answers I knew that show.

• 2 weeks later...