Pro Wrestling Only

[1982-12-25-WCCW-Christmas Star Wars] Ric Flair vs Kerry Von Erich (Cage)

Superstar Sleeze

NWA World Heavyweight Champion Ric Flair vs Kerry Von Erich - Christmas Star Wars 12/25/82 Steel Cage match, Michael Hayes Special Guest Referee

They had two different gimmicks to establish in this match plus they needed to get Kerry's revenge in, needed to have a championship style match and run the one of the biggest angles in the history of pro wrestling. I think that was the biggest hindrance to this match was they were trying to accomplish so much in one match. With three lesser men, this would have been a clusterfuck. In the hands of Flair, Kerry and Hayes, they still manage to present an excellent match even if it is at the level of the first Kerry vs Flair bout.

Unlike David, Kerry does not have to worry about disqualifications and he goes after Flair's leg immediately in retribution. Flair establishes he has nowhere to run due to the cage. Something I have noticed in watching five Flair vs Von Erich matches already is that he does not take many walks to break rhythm. He does beg off or back into a corner, but is not powdering as much as I remember from him. He definitely fight back more at this point with more hair pulls, tight-pulling and eye-raking to set up his chops and short knees. The other gimmick gets established early and often that is even if there is no disqualifications, Michael Hayes will not let one wrestler beat the other senseless in the match to the point where they can defend himself. So Hayes is very forceful in pulling the men off. This is a more logical and better approach than the fucking Kinski performance a year later. Hayes was introduced to the territory in mid-October as a friend of the Von Erich, but he has been even in actions.

Kerry Von Erich grabs the sleeper and a huge pop happens because they remember that was the move that should have won him the first fall. Flair becomes incensed at getting his ass kicked, but Kerry is looking CLAW. They did a good job establishing the cage as nowhere for Flair to hide, they did not tease going into the cage. Regardless, when Kerry sends Flair head first into the cage and grates his forehead it gets a huge pop. This is Flair in his element bleeding and hollering. The verbal selling here is just top notch. Hayes throws Kerry off, but he still signals for The Claw and the crowd is pumped! Flair goes to his best weapon kicking Kerry in his bad leg and he takes Kerry to school. Kerry is pushing Flair off as a last ditch effort and throws him into the cage. It is around this time that it feels haphazard. They want to get Kerry's revenge in on Flair because he is not going to win the title tonight, but at least he will get his licks in. Yet, Flair is still trying to work in a championship style and perpetual motion. Again, trying to accomplish too much.

Flair finally applies the figure-4 and when it is reversed we get some really classic Flair selling. He is so great at selling the struggle and then upon reversing it, just wow! Kerry Von Erich is just beating Flair senseless now and it does not look like the champ has a chance to survive. Hayes is trying to keep thing somewhat safe by pulling Kerry off. CLAW! Flair drapes his leg over the rope and Hayes pulls him off to big BOOOS! That was lame. One thing to keep Flair safe another to force a rope break. While Hayes and Kerry get into it, Flair hits a high knee sending Kerry into Hayes. Flair and Hayes go at it and Hayes decks Flair. Kerry won't take the pin and Hayes pulls him by the hair on top of Flair, but Kerry won't take it. Again Flair gets a high knee that makes it seem like Kerry shoved Hayes out of the cage. So the "Guardian of the Gate" (TM HHH), Freebird Terry Gordy has had enough of Kerry's shit and blasts him with the steel cage door! With that shot the Freebirds vs Von Erichs begins! Flair covers Kerry and Hayes comes back in counts a quick three even though Kerry had kicked out.

The match actually continues, which I think is all for the better because we get some amazing staggering Kerry selling. You really get a sense of how much Kerry is hurt. I am not sure you would get the same feeling if it was Kerry knocked out, Flair pin and then Von Erich brothers swear revenge. Here you get to see Kerry's injury plus how sadistic Flair is in this situation. I love Kerry flailing around in the cage trying to get away from Flair and try to mount a comeback, but he is just too injured. Kerry is able to get a last resort Discus Punch, but he collapses and David Manning has not choice, but to call it. The announcer is worried about a concussion and the Von Erich brothers are worried and pissed. It was a great finish to keep Kerry looking strong and really show how much the Freebirds cost him the match. The world famous angle and the finish stretch ensures this match's place in history. There is never a boring moment in this match, but early on there is just too many things going on for this to be considered on the level of the first Flair vs Kerry match. I still think it was an excellent heated championship match. I have just slightly below the Flair/David match. ****1/2

• 6 months later...

I think one reason for the match continuing was so that the 'birds could get out of the arena alive. I think you're dead on on a lot of things, but do not think this was as good a match as you do. Both Flair and Kerry getting frustrated with Hayes as the ref and that costing them valuable momentum multiple times seemed out of place to me in a NWA World Championship match though. That aspect of it just seemed wrong and out of place. I'm of the opinion that there ought to be more of a sense that momentum switches are earned through the actions of the wrestlers involved in matches like this. Here it seems like you have the X-factor of Hayes sticking his nose in, deservedly or no, and that takes a lot away from the match.

• 2 years later...

"Sadistic" is totally the right adjective for Flair here. I loved his cutthroat presence in this match. His vocal selling was really fantastic. The closing of the cage door onto KVE's head looked and sounded so damn brutal. I agree with the idea they had to let the match continue. I was surprised they made it out alive anyway because the heat was incredible. If the match had stopped there, then it would have been over the birds ha. I have it below the Flair/David match too, but for the moment and greatness of the selling from both guys - add in the energy - ****1/2 for me too.

• GSR changed the title to [1982-12-25-WCCW-Christmas Star Wars] Ric Flair vs Kerry Von Erich (Cage)
  • 2 years later...

Man, you could tell Kerry Von Erich wasn't the brightest just by his promo. We've got a shirtless Michael Hayes as a second referee and he's brought out Terry Gordy to watch the cage door. He initially plays it straight down the middle, breaking up grapples when they refused to let go. Kerry gets a sleeper locked in early, but Flair is able to counter with a back suplex. To the surprise of no-one, Flair gets juice as Kerry slams him headfirst into the cage multiple times. After an excellent punch sequence, Von Erich teases the Iron Claw. Flair goes for a Figure Four, but eats steel once again for his trouble as the crowd cheers on. Seriously, Kerry Von Erich was Beatles at Shea Stadium levels of beloved here. Kerry's assault continues until he misses a knee drop and displays some brilliantly convincing selling that leads to Flair successfully locking on the Figure Four. Flair gets a chance to show off his selling chops when Kerry turns over the submission. Hayes shows his true colours once Kerry argues with him about a call and it ends up with Gordy slamming the cage door into Kerry's brain, making him even stupider in the process. Kerry lands a discuss punch on Flair once the Freebirds are out of the ringside area, but Kerry collapses because of his injuries and the referee awards this to Flair. This dragged in places and Kerry did look like a diva constantly complaining, but this had nuclear heat and it made the Freebirds the most hated men in Texas. ★★★★