Pro Wrestling Only

Where the Big Boys Play #72 - Superbrawl II

Hey everyone. Long time listening to WTBBP, 1st time post on this. (I 'll try and be more frequent but I don't want to use up my appearance like WCW done with Luger...)

Anyway,I'm moving away from the Jesse/JR debate and gonna give my opinion on the Rude/Steamboat match.(As asked by Parv!) For me 1st of all Pillman/Liger just edged MOTN but US Title is a really close 2nd. I have it ****1/4 Ending made sense if a little cheap,I agree with Chad's with the Ninja. But for me Rude was just amazing from the second he walked out. Brilliant performance and took the match up a notch. Rick Rude 92 is as good as any1 in the 90s IMO. Don't think he really had a bad performance? Matches maybe,but performances? Not 2 many.Pity Vader came in then Jake Roberts then Sid cause Rude should of had a heel run as champ.Steamboat also is the perfect Babyface to Rude so it's a natural feud.

Also quick sidebar, any1 up pick up on what The Z man said when walking out? Said something along the lines regarding Jessie Ventura and his Harley??!! Bit random I thought.

So where do other people go on Rude vs Steamer on this one, because I was blown away by it this time and thought it was a MOTYC at ****3/4, legit great match.

I have it at ****. Going that high seems insane with that finish making your babyface look stupid.

This was a crazy PPV Event for the simple reason that NWA/WCW as far as I know rarely came to Wisconsin and I don't think there was ever a WCW TV taping or PPV in Wisconsin before SuperBrawl II. Milwaukee is a great city to book these events for simple fact that you draw ppl from Chicago which is about an hour south and you draw ppl from Green Bay to Madison to Minnesota to Indiana and Milwaukee has rich wrestling history. I was about 10 I think when this show happened but didn't go because if you didn't pay attention to local flyers you would not know when they were in your town and my parents were cheap and divorced.

Re-watched this after listening to the podcast yesterday.

Steamboat vs. Rude was a match that was laid out really well and executed really well but didn't connect with the crowd enough to bring it to the next level. Steamboat's early arm work gets no reaction, even with Rude's excellent selling. The sleeper spots worked okay for me and Steamboat's reversal into his own got a reaction but an upper echelon match for me needs to combine a great layout, great execution, and a great crowd reaction. 2 out of 3 certainly isn't bad.

Are you talking about the main event? I dunno, I think Jesse was in an awkward position there. You can't have your top color man shitting all over both of your main eventers, whether they're babyfaces or not. And if he did his usual routine, whether it be "Hogan's an egomaniac" or "Warrior's a lunatic," it'd look like he was favoring the other guy. I think he did as good of a job as possible. And he threw in that Richard Belzer line just to show that Jesse was still Jesse.

One thing that really worked for Jesse in the WWF that didn't in WCW was the shoot conflict he and Hogan were constantly in. There was an edge to his anti-Hogan commentary that came off as truly personal and real. He didn't have that with Sting or any other WCW babyface, and at times it came off as though he was slagging on them because he was a Heel and that's what heels do.

Just got around to listening to this today. I don't know if it's the fact that you're covering a really strong show, or that there seems to be so much debate over the quality of four matches (Liger-Pillman, the two Dangerous Alliance tags, Steamboat-Rude), but the quality of analysis for those matches makes this your best podcast so far. A really enjoyable listen, and so much to think about. Watched this event late last year but will rewatch parts of it again.

Phenomenal stuff. Thanks!