Pro Wrestling Only

PWSS 50 - Mr. Fuji the Manager w/ Kelly & Parv

Grimmas

PWSS50.jpg

Click here

Host: Steven Graham
Guests: Kelly & Parv (Titans of Wrestling)

The Titans invade the Super Show for the second part on Mr. Fuji's career as he becomes a manager. We go through all of his charges and talk about lots of awesome footage, including many matches. Why did Fuji wrestle so much? Was he the worst manager every year he managed? Is Bobby Heenan versus Mr. Fuji a missed opportunity? How great of a joke can Steven tell? We will answer these questions and many more on this epic!

I enjoyed this show despite never seeing any of the footage. I enjoyed Steven's joke, but I think it needs a certain audience to get over. I would, however, love to see that Heenan vs. Fuji match. From watching old WWF/WWWF footage, the thing that stands out to me more than anything is how into the shows and performers the crowds were as opposed to today. Even midcard guys would be getting huge responses. But today it's special cases like Bryan where the majority of fans get into one guy enough to get that kind of reaction. Or the big reaction Cena gets because of his circumstances. For whatever reason, very likely the death of kayfabe, wrestling fans seem to have a harder time getting behind what they see.

I enjoyed this show despite never seeing any of the footage. I enjoyed Steven's joke, but I think it needs a certain audience to get over. I would, however, love to see that Heenan vs. Fuji match. From watching old WWF/WWWF footage, the thing that stands out to me more than anything is how into the shows and performers the crowds were as opposed to today. Even midcard guys would be getting huge responses. But today it's special cases like Bryan where the majority of fans get into one guy enough to get that kind of reaction. Or the big reaction Cena gets because of his circumstances. For whatever reason, very likely the death of kayfabe, wrestling fans seem to have a harder time getting behind what they see.

That's one for my joke! Screw you Kelly & Parv!

I didn't realise I would enjoy such a long podcast about Mr Fuji, but I really did.

Re: Fuji still wrestling when he was a manager...I've been spending FAR TOO LONG thinking about this.

1. Maybe this is why he was kept around so long, despite being one of the weaker managers? Managers on house shows are a bit of a waste of money. Managers willing to step in to make up the numbers/cover for no-shows/take the fall to protect their team are probably worth their weight in gold.

2. Was odd 6 man tags/handicap matches a way of protecting (sort of, nearly) money matches? So, stick Fuji in the mix and you can still go back to the normal match-up (either singles or normal tag) further down the line.

3. Fans like to see managers get their comeuppance, right? And it hardly hurt Fuji's heat to get a beating in a house show. So throwing him in the mix would probably lead to a cheap pop or two, and the fans going home happy.

I didn't realise I would enjoy such a long podcast about Mr Fuji, but I really did.

Re: Fuji still wrestling when he was a manager...I've been spending FAR TOO LONG thinking about this.

1. Maybe this is why he was kept around so long, despite being one of the weaker managers? Managers on house shows are a bit of a waste of money. Managers willing to step in to make up the numbers/cover for no-shows/take the fall to protect their team are probably worth their weight in gold.

2. Was odd 6 man tags/handicap matches a way of protecting (sort of, nearly) money matches? So, stick Fuji in the mix and you can still go back to the normal match-up (either singles or normal tag) further down the line.

3. Fans like to see managers get their comeuppance, right? And it hardly hurt Fuji's heat to get a beating in a house show. So throwing him in the mix would probably lead to a cheap pop or two, and the fans going home happy.

Thanks for enjoying.

I think you are onto something. What a great way to cover for no shows on injuries. Heenan was great at that too. Jimmy Hart couldn't do that, but he helped with music. Slick was gone first, so maybe there is some merit to this.

I definitely think Fuji did it for the cash and because he enjoyed working. After about 1986 Bobby wrestled pretty sporadically due to injuries and almost never in the 90's. I want to say Slick did wrestle a few matches here and there (against Hogan once IIRC) and Jimmy won an MSG battle royal but they couldn't work often obviously.

You have to remember that managers other than Elizabeth had long periods where they didn't do any house shows except MSG occasionally. Bobby was doing all the commentary and Prime Time, Jimmy was a real life manager for his guys and did music and Slick..........well who knows.

It's not like Fuji did a lot of work post 86. He'd come in, hit a few chops, maybe do the diving headbutt to the groin and get beat. He didn't really bump or anything. Plus imagine the rib if you accidentally hurt Fuji.