Pro Wrestling Only

Flair's podcast (WOOOOONation)

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flair just rambles and talks crazily. Hart is very serious and doesn't know how to react to some of Flair's incoherence. Surprisingly, it makes for a fun podcast.

I get the sense that Hart tolerates Flair and kind of looks down on him. Hart still probably doesn't care for Flair, but doesn't think it's worth his time to badmouth or shun him.

I've always found Bret a difficult guy to like.

I haven't listened to the podcast yet, but why?
No sense of humour, genuinely arrogant, generally seems a bit unpleasant. Not a very likable guy imo.

Very focused and serious about wrestling is why he was so great at it, so I dig it. Maybe not the greatest podcast guest, but I can't hate on him for it.

I don't really like that deadly seriousness and don't trust anyone who takes themselves that seriously.

I mean, Flair is the legit GOAT and can still have a laugh or even put himself down on occassion, Bret just can't do it. I also got the impression that Bret kind of looks down on Flair. That's so ridiculous to me that it almost makes Bret a heel to me, like an IRL heel.

Horses for courses, though, I just don't like the guy.

I'm still listening, but Bret is so awkward and aloof on this episode, even more so than usual. Flair is constantly trying to drag conversation out of him and keep things upbeat. I am (or was, anyway) a big Bret fan, but he exemplifies all of the negative stereotypes that have built up for him over the years here.

Also, my face keeps twitching whenever Bret says "workrate" unironically.

EDIT: Wow, Bret didn't even need a shovel for Kevin Sullivan; he's happy to carry that dirt by hand. They should have asked Bret to trash WCW earlier in the episode, since that seemed to wake him up.

I don't really like that deadly seriousness and don't trust anyone who takes themselves that seriously.I mean, Flair is the legit GOAT and can still have a laugh or even put himself down on occassion, Bret just can't do it. I also got the impression that Bret kind of looks down on Flair. That's so ridiculous to me that it almost makes Bret a heel to me, like an IRL heel.Horses for courses, though, I just don't like the guy.

My main beef is that he's Canadian.

I love Bret's dry personality for some reason. He's my favorite wrestler so I'm biased but I just find him hilariously cheesy sometimes albeit unintended. When he did the yes chant at the HOF he was the most awkward but it was funny as hell to me. He's just a dork but I love it. I absolutely hate Lance Storm for most of the same reasons so yea can't explain it

Man, Bret bombed the question on why he's better than Flair. Any of us could have done a better job there.Even Flair did a better job answering it.

Really? I thought his 'overlapping generations' spiel was a diplomatic way to handle it. He didn't come up with it on the spot either - he said something similar on the WWE's Dungeon collection dvd a few years back.

I thought it was hilarious when Flair was reminding Bret that he complimented him on the SummerSlam 92 match and Bret told him exactly when and where that happened. Oh Bret.....

Also, Flair's fine at talking about his own career but his lack of knowledge of others could become awkward in future. Conrad had to interject that Bulldog-Bret was the main event there.

Austin seems to do enough research to at least get by, can't imagine Flair bothering to do the same.

He did seem to imply that Dynamite Kid was a better wrestler than Flair though. As in "more advanced" or something. That was the implication.

I don't think either of them were about to hammer out their honest opinion on who was better. It was a cordial coming together.

Now, if you'd been Frost-Nixoning them..... :P

Cordial is the right word. Did you like the bit when Flair reacted to Bret's rant about Hogan by reiterating that he's happy that the two of them are now friends. There were some awkward as hell moments right the way through.

The one interesting thing about Bret talking about DK was his implication that Calgary was a place where they were innovating offence. I brought this up in the Tag Teams Back Again thread, when they were discussing the Bulldogs.

I was a bit disappointed Flair didn't bring his point up about not being an offensive worker, he talked about that with Angle and on that Terry Funk joint shoot (specifically in relation to Bret), but here it seems like all he wanted to do was push the narrative of them having made up.

Bret always seems to put a great deal of importance on innovation. I can understand that to some extent. In the early 90s I was crying out for something fresh, different and exciting.

Nowadays, a lot of fans in their 30s have grown up with some much innovation that they appreciate a sturdy, old fashioned, doing-everything-simply-and-correctly approach.

I think ironically though, and this is where It might help if Flair had more "book smarts" as Meltzer might say, The guys Bret was painting as tired and working an old style, like Harley (and by implication Flair), probably did more to change the style of work in the US than Bret or the Bulldogs ever did.

I've written at length before about the transition from mat-based wrestling to the heavy bumping, spot and action orientated style that Race and Flair both worked. Ray Stevens would be the innovator, Race and Flair the popularisers.

Flair knows this. He talks about it whenever he mentions Johnny Valentine not running the ropes or Dory sitting in a 45-minute headlock. But he just can't put it together and form a coherent argument because that's not the sort of guy he is.

I wish I'd been sitting in there with them. Ha ha.

------

Untreated, but it's interesting that Flair thinks he couldn't do anything with Jumbo because I thought they had great matches together. Maybe it's because they were technical affairs and Flair doesn't like that style.

I always get the impression he's talking about the Stampede style - quicker, stiffer, with influences from Europe, Puerto Rico and anywhere else Stu could get guys from - and the 'invasion' into a staid, big man style in New York in 1984. He wrote of himself, Davey and Dynamite as stallions coming in to update the WWF style.

I agree that when it comes to specific innovations in offense he doesn't have a lot to fall back on. Owen was much more innovative, for example.