Pro Wrestling Only

Global Force Wrestling

Mad Dog

These shows are going to live or die based on how well the minor league teams promote them so the actual cards don't matter too much. That said, its disappointing (although not necessarily surprising) that the cards lack any imagination. They are totally bland. I am not suggesting they run big time gimmick matches on throw away house shows, but there is nothing on these cards to suggest Jarrett is going to do more than simply present a straight forward wrestling show with mediocre talent. That's probably not going to cut it. Maybe the television tapings look completely different, but I wouldn't bet on it.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there are ways to spin this, to highlight that they're giving local talent a chance, or that they're making grassroots efforts to find the next big stars, or something, but yeah.

I do think it is wise to have a base talent and fill the rest of the card out with locals. Keeps costs down and gives local guys a shot of making the roster.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We interviewed Jarrett at The Tag Rope a month back and he was really pushing the idea of using TV as a way to boost GFW's online presence. Not sure if he will hold true to that statement, but if he uses the TV and house shows to boost an online streaming service or to hook up with Hulu somehow then he's doing things right I think.

TV is still where the money is though. Meltzer keeps harping on about how the old wrestling model where you use TV to promote your live and PPV busines is no longer viable, you need TV money to operate now.

Sorry to respond to such old posts, but I had to say something.

Meltzer is the very last person I'd take seriously about technology. :) He is somewhat famously known for his lack of skills in that dept.

Imagine if GFW had somehow gotten on Netflix, with all of the promotional backing that comes with that. That would be a huge deal IMO.

Of course, as we know by now, something like that probably won't happen.

But my point is, traditional TV doesn't necessarily have to be the be-all and end-all anymore - and it's becoming less and less important with each passing year.

However, if GFW's idea of an online presence is expecting people to go on their website or look up videos on YouTube, that won't get them anywhere. They need something big, like a Netflix deal.

• 2 weeks later...

They drew probably 500 (conservative estimate) last night. Matches were not much to speak of, but the crowd was pretty engaged all the way through. Show ran 2 hours, including an intermission. Probably half the crowd lined up after the show to pay $20 to get in the ring with JJ (unfortunately absent from the meet and greet pre-show) and Jim Duggan for a picture.

Matches were:

Cabana vs Daivari's brother (this was strictly schtick, obviously)

Sonjay Dutt vs PJ Black

The former Rosita vs a local woman wrestler

A three-way with two local guys and Matt Cage

Magnus vs Ciampa (this was really good but they blew the finish, possibly because of the shitty little ring - rented from Hornswoggle, who was in attendance and got a plug for his show in a month)

Anderson/Gallows vs OI4K (Bullet Club were the most over thing aside from Duggan)

There was also an Eric Young run-in angle with JJ about the King of the Mountain. No Karen appearance. And of course a Duggan/Daivari interaction with all the normal Duggan stuff.

I had fun, but it was live wrestling and was with one of my buddies, so of course I did.

I guess I'm just struggling to see the reason behind running these shows separate from TNA anyhow. If Jarrett's just going to do business with TNA, then it might as well be TNA. The cards themselves aren't all that different from what you get with TNA. I guess you could say they've got a little more local indie flavor to them, but really - the better local indies offer more of that, usually with better settings, more vocal & loyal crowds, and no six-sided ring that's set out in the middle of a baseball field.

I was really hoping that Global Force would present something different, especially back when it was getting some buzz and even offering alternatives like the English commentary for Kingdom 9. But it's already looking bush league.

For my money, there's better indie wrestling in the area. If TNA or Global Force comes to town, I'm still more inclined to see something like Booker's local promotion than any of this stuff. Sure. They aren't going to have the well-known names and faces from TV, but the action is almost always better, the stories are fun and easy to follow, the characters are clearly defined, and there's none of this "shooty invasion" horse shit to suffer through.

Maybe they'll get things on track. Maybe there's some ace in the hole with all this "merger" talk. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

• 2 months later...

I watched the trailer they put out & it's pretty impressive and I'm glad someone is trying something new. I just have to question 2 things:

1) Where are they getting the money for all this? And how quickly will it run out? Which ties into point 2...

2) Are there really enough fans that would invest their time in following something like this? To me (and admittedly I'm nowhere as far in the loop on current stuff as I used to be) it appears most fans nowadays either only follow the major groups or if they follow indies it's more from a workrate perspective. I'm not sure where Jarrett is sensing this huge market of fans that would be interested in a reality-based product that focuses on personality profiles of the wrestlers moreso that the in-ring. If the talent roster and matches themselves aren't enough to draw interest or curiosity I'd be surprised if many fans are going to invest the time to get plugged into the personality profile aspect enough to then care about the in ring. It just seems like a bit of a backward approach. Most fans are going to be interested in a list of talent or a list of matches that catch their eye moreso than taking the time to learn about a bunch of random wrestlers & then cultivate a level of interest in seeing them perform.

But other than that I hope them success.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I think Jarrett is trying to have GFW ready to soak up all the TNA fans when they collapse at the end of the year.

Give this man his own psychic hotline, because he absolutely nailed it - almost two years before it actually came to pass!

I was always under the assumption the real plan was to be ready and waiting to snatch the TV deals (particularly international) if and when TNA went under, hence having a good few weeks in the can ready to air right away. Turns out I underestimated Jarrett's ability to get back in control!

• 1 month later...

Was FORCED out of the TNA thread.

Is Global Force Wrestling the Worst Wrestling Promotion of All-Time? Food for thought. Not many good matches. The company's title was won by someone not in the company anymore and don't think he ever lost it. Patron was suspected to be an abuser before winning the title and escalated shortly after winning. Eli Drake is a 9th tier Cali indie wrestler. He's the champ.

Oh, Cornette is one of the most maligned names currently in wrestling probably beating out Russo at this point. Now he's an authority figure in the company.