Pro Wrestling Only

Global Force Wrestling

Mad Dog

Oh, Cornette is one of the most maligned names currently in wrestling probably beating out Russo at this point.

Ridiculous statement, but whatever.

He's back in ? Well, good. You got Mantell, Corny & Prichard in the same company. That's not that bad, all things considered.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, Cornette is one of the most maligned names currently in wrestling probably beating out Russo at this point.

Ridiculous statement, but whatever.

He's back in ? Well, good. You got Mantell, Corny & Prichard in the same company. That's not that bad, all things considered.

How is it ridiculous? Current top non-WWE names have openly bashed him. He's made islamaphobic comments in the past.

He also did this whole Kenny King thing which has a lot of poor comments http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2015/1013/602635/jim-cornette-calls-kenny-king-the-biggest-lying-piece-of-sh-t/

I don't care about Twitter feuds and Facebook comments.

The Young Bucks (for instance) would show up tomorrow on GFW and they would all turn that into an angle anyway.

(it's better not to go into the "islamophobia" stuff on this board, although yeah he made some stupid comments in the past (I haven't listened to his podcast in forever), but I would not use the big words either, plus it's a way too complex issue to debate here when talking about Corny and pro-wrestling)

Corny is Corny. He's not gonna change at this point. But with his track record and historian work, to say he's more maligned than Russo today is ridiculous. He's got a lot of heat, yes.

To say that Cornette is viewed as anything but out of touch, on multiple levels, by the current generation of fans seems...wrong?

Phrased that way, I would agree.

And it's true that those "This is awesome", "finishers kick-out galore = great work", "Omega deserves 7 stars next time" fans are what's going on today, so. ;)

To say that Cornette is viewed as anything but out of touch, on multiple levels, by the current generation of fans seems...wrong?

EDIT: To the point of contempt.

Yeah but look at the source. A generation that thinks they invented women's wrestling and jumping off the top rope in the last two years.

TNA killed the product for me a long time ago and there is no going back. However, with the clips and everything I see-they have been going in the right direction for a considerable amount of time. GFW has pretty much burnt every single bridge there is to burn and thus there are no really shocking debuts on the horizon. That was pretty much TNA's bread-and-butter back-in-the-day. With that (and other) gimmicks out the window and with Dixie gone for good--things are really turning around. There is a lot of getting back to basics and I cannot get upset with a company trying its best to create stars after losing Hardys, Drew Mc, Maria, etc. and potentially losing Lashley and ADR. Its a long journey ahead, but aside from minor hiccups--its not all a complete shit storm.

Are they doing anything with Allie right now?

Haven't really done anything with her since Maria left. There was the Sienna feud and now Braxton is doing a savage/Elizabeth angle with her.

GFW isn't as bad as TNA was. There are still problems like shitty authority figures, questionable gimmicks but the worst is the dead crowd. I know why they tape at Universal but GFW will never get on the next level until they leave Universal. It kills the product dead. Now that they are adding in canned heat again, it makes it look even worse. They got good talent but none of them mean more than people like Bruce, Cornette and the Jarretts.

EDIT: To the point of contempt.

Yeah but look at the source. A generation that thinks they invented women's wrestling and jumping off the top rope in the last two years.

No? I don't know what to say other than I assume you are a couple generations later based on your thinking. I know PWO is an older board and all but geeze.

Cornette is one of the most maligned names currently in wrestling probably beating out Russo at this point.

Um...what?

I don't think anybody is as maligned in the wrestling industry as Russo at this point.

I'm not saying having Cornette on the air (or even working backstage) in 2017 is a good idea. I don't think it is, not one little bit. If I was trying to book a product that is looked upon as current, and if I was trying to to bring in younger viewers, the last person I would put on the air is Jim Cornette. His whole on air persona screams old school...which is what he is.

I assume they brought him in because Jim Cornette could cut a better promo in his sleep than most of the guys in today's Pro Wrestling could cut on their best day. But that is more of a sad indictment of the fact that the current generation thinks it's more important to kick out of 100 finishers or to do a bunch of high spots than it is to actually know how to talk. There should be lots of guys around who could fill that role, but there isn't.

The other problem is, Global Force is being run by Jeff Jarrett, Dutch Mantell, Scott D'Amore, etc. These are not exactly guys who have their finger on the pulse of what is hot and trending right now. I'm not convinced these guys still don't think that the key to success is presenting WWE lite.

Cornette hates Kenny Omega, and The Young Bucks, and Kenny King and Joey Ryan, absolutely. He has a lot of detractors. But within Pro Wrestling as an industry, I'd say Cornette has a ton more respect than Russo ever will. Even the guys who think he is wrong about Omega and The Young Bucks (like Meltzer, or Storm & Cyrus, or Austin, or Jim Ross) will give Cornette his due for his knowledge of Pro Wrestling History, his past contributions, and his love of the sport.

At this point, Russo's biggest defender might be The Disco Inferno. I rest my case.

Cornette's podcast has more listeners than GFW has viewers. So he probably is not that hated or the "modern" fan is not as plentiful as you think.

Yeah, the whole "Jim Cornette is desperately trying to stay relevant" talking point is really off base and not particularly well thought out. The last thing he wants to do is be relevant to Pro Wrestling in 2017. That's kind of his whole point when he goes off on the modern product. Cornette has a very loyal and well established fan base that he appeals to. I don't think he cusses out Kenny Omega, Joey Ryan or The Young Bucks because he wants attention from younger fans of the modern product. I think he does it because he hates Kenny Omega, Joey Ryan and The Young Bucks, and he knows there are lots of other people who feel the same way.

How many people do we think listen to Cornette's podcast?

EDIT: 36 puts you in a different bracket.

At one point it was said in the 400,000 bracket as far as MP3 downloads go. Which does not account for his youtube channel and various bootleg Now lets say he is exaggerating by half, that puts it at 200,000, which GFW struggles to get on cable weekly.

Cornette is more relevant than a lot of the guys he slags.

At one point it was said in the 400,000 bracket as far as MP3 downloads go. Which does not account for his youtube channel and various bootleg Now lets say he is exaggerating by half, that puts it at 200,000, which GFW struggles to get on cable weekly.

The bracket is exaggerated multitudes higher on the MP3 front. Though his rants can pop a number on the tube. which makes sense since that is much more searchable then finding a podcast episode and drilling down to the specific thing you want to hear.

EDIT: I'll definitely take the L on thinking he's a brand problem waiting to happen. A second authority figure seems odd regardless in 2017.

The bracket is exaggerated multitudes higher on the MP3 front. Though his rants can pop a number on the tube. which makes sense since that is much more searchable then finding a podcast episode and drilling down to the specific thing you want to hear.

EDIT: I'll definitely take the L on thinking he's a brand problem waiting to happen. A second authority figure seems odd regardless in 2017.

I don't listen to his full podcast every week but I listen to everything he puts up on youtube.

I'm starting to become a fan of Raven's commentary too.