Pro Wrestling Only

Otto Wanz

Grimmas

Doesn't look like much of a worker and got pretty bloated toward the end of his run (actually was a fairly athletic dude before the mid 80s, who did a neat Santo headscissor), but he was in a handful of spectacular bouts. Of course it's hard not to have a spectacular match when you are facing guys like Murdoch, Slaughter or Vader, but I like the style and big match atmosphere Wanz brings to these bouts, and his willingness to get demolished deserves a lot of credit. I was surprised to see how good he looks in early matches, against lesser opponents and on smaller shows, making his popularity understandable. He has quite a bit of footage available so I think it's not insane to consider him.

I would actually be interested to see Parv's thoughts on Otto. He was a big star/ace in his own universe, and had a certain aura about him with those crowds that added to his matches. There are probably guys with as little or less footage available in full that Parv seems to be advocating for, and Otto on paper strikes me as the sort of guy who he might be impressed by.

I think it's great if you get over the terrible VQ. I think it was one of DLJ's last matches and he acts like such a dipshit in it thinking he has it all with his athleticism, but ends up falling on his ass. There is also a clipped match of theirs from 1978 on YouTube where Wanz busts out a lucha roll up among other things.

Wanz's AWA title win over Bockwinkel:

Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODgn2FDrRAw

Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I64cz57SWbQ

One of the most surprising match results, well, ever.

As an aside, I found someone uploaded my Bockwinkel-Zbyszko feud comp I made about ten years ago looking for this. Cool to see it up there.

• 7 years later...

Anyone going to bat for Wanz this time around? 

Right now, he is on the outside looking in, but I'm impressed with what I've seen from him so far. Effective territory ace who did all the basics well (absorbing a beating, making a fiery comeback, brawling).

Three recommended matches

vs. Nick Bockwinkel (AWA, 8/29/1982)

vs. Sgt. Slaughter (Graz, 7/9/1983)

vs. Bull Power (Vienna, 6/30/1990)