• 7976 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 05:11 AM

Discuss here.

#2 goodhelmet

goodhelmet
  • Admins
  • 18955 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:32 AM

Does anyone have an opinion about Funaki? 

#3 stomperspc

stomperspc
  • Members
  • 478 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:25 PM

A good shoot style wrestler but not the best.  He came off as super athletic in the Reborn UWF and PWFG matches of his I've seen. He had this realistic intensity and a lot of neat tricks to fill down time.  Unlike some other guys, I am not sure I have seen Funaki totally slow down or stop working in a shoot style match.  Very fluid in the ring.  The problem was he was really just passing through in pro wrestling the first time through so there's just not a ton there.  Had he somehow ended up in RINGS instead of Pancrase maybe he would have enough quality shoot style matches to make a case but the volume just isn't there.  I haven't thought much of anything I have seen him in since his return to pro wrestling in 2009 and that certainly doesn't help his case.  He was still on the right side of 40 then and the fact that he has done so little of note over the past six years isn't good.  His shoot style stuff that I've seen I have found to be really strong, but its hard to make a case for him based on about three years and maybe a dozen or so matches.

#4 GOTNW

GOTNW

save all japan pro wrestling

• Members
  • 1905 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 06:54 PM

To goodhelmet:
I'll consider him just like I will pretty much everyone who worked shoot style. (Has Wellington Wilkins Jr. been nominated yet?)

Analyzing strictly his stuff since returning, I think his biggest strenght is his approach towards matches. I think he's had 1-2 conventionally "great" matches since returning (20-30 minutes, big crowd, ME + I thought it was great) and a coue of very good ones that went longer but he's also had a lot of great matches in different settings. He's really good at incorporating faux-shoot stuff in his matches and has great kicks. Considering you have Regal at #10 I think you should consider Funaki because his pro style work has a simar minimalistic approach. He can have the world's best 7 minute match. I'll make a match listing for recommended viewing when I get back home in a few days if you want to/haven't been keeping up with his work.

#5 fxnj

fxnj
  • Members
  • 524 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:28 PM

Is Funaki the best short match wrestler ever? Was just thinking that he's got the 1989 Nakano match, 1994 Suzuki match, and 2012 Akiyama match to his name. All those are completely different styles yet still amazing and the Nakano match is probably the best short match ever. I also enjoyed the Aoki match from this year even though it wasn't at that level. I'm interested in taking a deeper dive into his work and seeing if he has anything else.

#6 El McKell

El McKell

Actually The Worst

• Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 04:41 PM

1994 Suzuki match

Isn't this a shoot? doesn't really count

#7 GOTNW

GOTNW

save all japan pro wrestling

• Members
  • 1905 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 07:03 AM

It's Pancrase so no.

#8 fxnj

fxnj
  • Members
  • 524 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 07:46 AM

Consensus among big MMA fans seems to be it was a work. 90's Pancrase seems pretty infamous in MMA circles for having worked bouts.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Masakatsu Funaki

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users