Pro Wrestling Only

Adrian Street

Grimmas

This is going to be one of those "What are your criteria?" things where some people might look at this and think Adrian is a ridiculous nominee but I think he at least deserves a fair discussion. If I were going to make a list of "Top 100 characters in wrestling" Adrian Street would be on it. And pretty high up the list. It is going to be hard to point to any great Street matches to help his case though.

I liked his matches with Rip Rogers in 1986 CCW although none of them were really any better than "fun TV match." My favorite Adrian Street match is him teaming with The Bullet against Robert Fuller & Jimmy Golden. It's a bunch of comedy and schtick so that's not going to have a lot of mileage for some people but this was EASILY my favorite match from 1986 CCW.

Streets best match is the match v Saint from WOS. And that is great .

That is a great match, but if that is the best he has he is not top 100. I liked his performance a lot, but there is a high bar to pass to get on the list.

The Breaks match is great. I love how he starts cocky and playing the mind games but as the match goes on Breaks is just unrelenting and dogged and you can see the toll on Street with his physical appearance and body language. Then, after he's forced to submit he goes back to the prancing as a feign.

It's a very strong performance.

I'll watch that tag later.

• 10 months later...

I couldn't justify voting for Street. Just don't see him near at that level. Fun enough character, though a bit broad for my tastes. Not that I expect subtlety in wrestling, but I think it takes a certain kind of performer to pull off this character well, and Street was just too hammy. I did enjoy when he would drop the shtick and just go on the offensive though, as that provided a neat contrast. Where Street suffers for me though is that his matches too easily just became drowned in shtick. I'm not a great matches guy, but I am a good matches guy, and I haven't seen too many good Street matches. The list may begin and end with the Breaks match actually (which is really quite good). Some of his stuff was actually difficult to get through. It could be a case of not having enough footage, or not having the right footage, as he was obviously a talented grappler, and could lay in some nice touches to his matches, but on the whole I won't be rushing to seek out more of his stuff.