Pro Wrestling Only

Draft & ongoing booking project interest?

Grimmas

Over the last year there has been some podcasts doing a draft and then fantasy booking cards that go with that. Also, through this subform, there has been some fantasy booking interest.

This is a thread to see if there is interest for some kind of major draft continually going forward booking ongoing project.

Whether we pick from anyone in history, or pick a specific time and go forward with it? Kind of like a wrestling draft and booking D&D game. Maybe post weekly cards here, or whatever. Make trades, random determine injuries and free agency or however it would work.

Let's use this thread to gauge interest and if there is interest to hammer out the idea.

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am tentatively interested depending on how much fantasy booking I'd actually have to write out. The draft part of it really interests me more. I think I'd rather be someone's partner/assistant booker though.

I have a quandary.

If we are using pre-existing promotions (WCCW, WWF, JCP, etc...) then I feel there needs to be some built in talent with the promotions.

For example, if you draft WCCW as your promotion shouldn't you be stuck with Fritz, and all the Von Erichs. For Memphis you have to have Lance Russel, Lawler, Jarrett and so on?

I guess what I am trying to say is, should we pick the promotions we want to run our have a draft on states/provinces, etc you want to form your territory and go from there?

I think we run with real talent but fictional promotions.

JVK Productions (JVP)

Grimmas Championship Wrestling (GCW)

And so on. Will be too confusing and look too weird with real territories. As in, if you're WWF, a guy like Tommy Rich loses value because you start asking "would he get over in New York", etc. Completely changes the context.

I like the idea of using existing territories and having to stick to some semblance of reality. Like if you take over WCCW you can't just go "fuck the Von Erichs, I'm jobbing them out and getting rid of them." Same thing with Lawler in Memphis. Other people may disagree though.

Or you could go the other way, of course, but my thinking goc is that if you do that, all you end up doing is trying to recreate the existing territory.

If I'm WCCW, I need the von Erichs, if I'm WWF I need Backlund or Bruno or try to make a grab for Hogan, etc.

I think reality acts as a weird kind of limiter there.

I've had an ongoing TEW game for like 5 years at this point booking TNA from the beginning all the way until June 2015 where I am in the game now.

I found it a lot more fun to try to stay within the framework of reality and stick to kind of a timeline of when guys became available to pick up. But my TNA game copies almost NOTHING from what TNA actually did except for keeping the starting roster mostly the same and not going crazy on picking up "name" guys.

We would have to come up with a list of workers who were active in 1983 who might be realistically hired.

What this would mean is that certain guys would have to be "region locked". If you're a Mexican-based promotion, you could pick up Gran Hamada, but I don't see a lot of US guys going down there.

For this reason, it might be better to keep it North America with a list of guys who were active in North America. Which means you might be able to draft Mr Saito or Jumbo Tsuruta or Yatsu, but not Giant Baba.

If the majority of the rest of the people involved didn't want to use real promotions it wouldn't be a huge problem for me. I'd still participate. I just think it's more fun to try and work within some kind of realistic framework.