Pro Wrestling Only

The best non ROH indy matches of the 2000s

jpchicago23

Partly inspired by Kris' podcast and the thread at dvdvr. What are the best indy matches that didn't happen in ROH? A few I've seen are:

Necro Butcher vs Samoa Joe IWA MS 6/11/05

El Generico vs Eddie Kingston- Chikara Sea of Lost Souls

Danielson vs Hero- PWG

My favorite non-ROH indy matches from the early 2000's are:

7/21/01 Danielson vs. Ki (ECWA)

9/14/01 Ki vs. Red (UCW)

11/30/01 Ki vs. Eddy Guerrero (UCW)

6/7/02 Ki vs. Danielson (JAPW)

Obviously Joe vs. Necro as well. Liked the 10/05 Dundee vs. Lawler Virginia match as their last match where Dundee could still do a little bit of stooge bumping.

Making my way through early PWG right now and a few matches have stuck out to me as great so far,

Bad Ass Mother 3000 - Day 2 (08-30-2003) Frankie Kazarian vs. Christopher Daniels

Tango & Cash Invitational - Day 1 (01-24-2004) Excalibur & Jonny Storm vs. American Dragon & Super Dragon

The Secret of the Ooze! (08-14-2004) Super Dragon vs. Samoa Joe

The Next Show (09-04-2004) Chris Hero vs. Super Dragon

I second all the ones Tim mentioned. A few more from later in the decade off the top of my head:

* El Generico vs. Bryan Danielson (PWG - 07.29.07) - This match, especially watched together with the tag title match and Danielson/Necro match that proceed is, is my favorite thing PWG has ever done. The match is not incredible, but its a good multi-match story with the right payoff.

* Jimmy Jacobs vs. BJ Whitmer in an I Quit match (IWA-MS - 03.01.08) - Their best match against one another. Appropriately violent and out of control.

* Bryan Danielson vs. Naruki Doi (DGUSA - 09.06.09) - Easily my favorite Doi match ever. Like the Generico match,this is a really great Danielson match where he plays to his opponent's strengths in a really entertaining way.

I'm not propping it up as an all time classic or anything but I really like BLKout vs. Order of the Neo Solar Temple from the 2008 King of Trios. You have this joke team getting serious and giving this hard hitting team a run for their money before just getting the absolute shit stomped out of them.

Listed these in the star rating thread -

CM Punk vs. Chris Hero: IWC - 3/22/02

Chris Hero vs. Roderick Strong: IWA-MS - 9/30/06

Super Dragon vs. TARO: Revolution Pro - 11/29/03 (Mask vs. Mask)

Samoa Joe vs. Chris Hero: IWC - 11/13/04

Punk/Hero and Hero/Strong are *** matches at best, but are worth watching even if they are kind of short. Dragon/TARO and Joe/Hero i think are two great matches which i rate at ****. Can't decide which is better as their both about of the same quality.

Make sure you track them two down if you have not yet.

LowKi vs. Homicide 7/7/01 (JAPW)

AJ Styles/Christopher Daniels vs. Super Dragon/Davey Richards 3/18/06 (PWG)

The Messiah vs. Supreme 7/22/00 (XPW)*

*Not everybody's cup of tea, but it's one of the better US death matches I've seen, and probably the best thing XPW ever produced. Which isn't saying much at all.

I remember loving Danielson & Claudio vs. Quack & Jigsaw from Chikara 9/13/09 (and I generally loathe Chikara).

The Finlay-Sami Callihan matches from Evolve were great.

Among tournament stuff, I really dug the '08 BOLA, which featured Danielson, Ki and Hero among others.

Phil, TomK, Tim and I saw a great trios with Claudio and Negro Navarro on one side and Quack and Solar on the other that happened in a banquet hall in Delaware. I wish that existed on tape.

Phil, TomK, Tim and I saw a great trios with Claudio and Negro Navarro on one side and Quack and Solar on the other that happened in a banquet hall in Delaware. I wish that existed on tape.

Is this a 2009 match that was put online by the promotion that ran it and shortly later taken down? Or am I thinking of something else? I know there was a great trios match in 2009 with a crazy line up like that that was online for a bit, by the promotion, then taken down.

Is this a 2009 match that was put online by the promotion that ran it and shortly later taken down? Or am I thinking of something else? I know there was a great trios match in 2009 with a crazy line up like that that was online for a bit, by the promotion, then taken down.

Yep, that's the one.

I remember really loving one of the CM Punk vs. Brent Albright matches from OVW but I can't remember which one it was.

Can I go as late as 2011? If so I'm throwing out Mike Quackenbush vs. Eddie Kingston and Sara Del Ray vs. Ophidian from the 12 Large Summit.

A lot of my favorite non-ROH indie matches, non-PWG for that matter as well, come after the turn of the decade so assuming those are out of the running:

-A second for Danielson/Claudio vs. QuackSaw from Chikarra. Maybe the best Chikarra match I have ever seen.

-Ibushi vs. Generico vs. Jigsaw vs. Nick Jackson from Chikarra. As far as indie spotfests go I still think this holds up as a completely zany one.

Oh well, guess I didn't have much to add off the top of my head :P

The timing isn't because of Thatcher surprisingly, BillThompson can carry that. So here are some hot ones:

-Sami Callihan vs. Finlay II EVOLVE 2012: I know I am in the minority here but I thought the second Callihan vs. Finlay match in EVOLVE was better than the first. Truly felt it was a bit of an indie classic.

-Eddie Kingston vs. Mike Quackenbush from High Noon is the quintessential big indie title match for me. The Kingston lead in promo is one of my favorites of all time. Plus the whole 12 Large tournament has some little gems and it is just a well booked tournament.

-El Generico vs. Sean Waltman from Chikara 2011. Has a special spot in my heart since I was there for it. Was shocked to see the match even happen let alone be as HOT as it was.

-Hero vs. Hidaka from EVOLVE 2. Long epic grapply match.

-Super Smash Bros vs. Young Bucks from PWG Death to All But Metal. Favorite tag between.

Here are some up to the present day then, I would rate every one of these matches at least ****,

Pro Wrestling Bushido: La Jaimica (10-16-2011) Timothy Thatcher vs. Fit Finlay

All Pro Wrestling/Vendetta Pro Wrestling: Terror Dome ’12 (10-20-2012) Chris Masters vs. Timothy Thatcher

Sacramento Wrestling Federation: Ring Warriors Revenge (10-06-2012) Oliver John vs. Timothy Thatcher

All Pro Wrestling: Gym Wars (01-05-2013) Oliver John vs. Timothy Thatcher

Supreme Pro Wrestling: SPW Arena (02-17-2013) Jeff Cobb vs. Timothy Thatcher

EVOLVE Wrestling: 34 (09-13-2014) Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Timothy Thatcher

Combat Zone Wrestling: Dojo Wars #9 (09-10-2014) Joe Gacy vs. Drew Gulak

Combat Zone Wrestling: To Infinity (04-27-2014) Biff Busick vs. Drew Gulak

Beyond Wrestling: Secret Show (04-13-2014) Timothy Thatcher vs. Biff Busick

Independent Wrestling Association Mid-South: Derby Madness ’14 (05-01-2014) Kongo Kong vs. Danny Cannon

Organization of Modern Extreme Grappling Arts: Chaos in Cameron (04-26-2014) Briscoe Brothers (Jay & Mark) vs. Hardy Boyz (Jeff & Matt)

EVOLVE Wrestling: 33 (08-10-2104) Biff Busick vs. Drew Gulak

PREMIER Wrestling: Kratos vs. Dutra (11-22-2014) Joe Graves vs. Timothy Thatcher

EVOLVE Wrestling: 31 (08-08-2014) Timothy Thatcher vs. Drew Gulak

WestCoast Wrestling Federation: WCWF Arena (01-11-2014) Timothy Thatcher vs. Dave Dutra

World Wrestling Network: A Wrestling Odyssey (04-04-2014) Timothy Thatcher vs. Drew Gulak

World Wrestling Network: Mercury Rising ’15 (03-28-2015) Timothy Thatcher vs. Chris Hero

EVOLVE Wrestling: 38 (03-08-2015) Drew Gulak vs. Chris Hero

EVOLVE Wrestling: 37 (01-10-2015) Timothy Thatcher vs. Roderick Strong

EVOLVE Wrestling: 40 (03-27-2015) Chris Hero vs. Biff Busick

EVOLVE Wrestling: 40 (03-27-2015) Tommy End vs. Timothy Thatcher

And some international indie stuff,

Wrestling Martin Calderon: Mania No. 1 (08-24-2014) Kortiz vs. El Brazo Jr.

Consejo Mundial de Luchadores Internacionales: Arena Coliseo de Monterrey (03-02-2014) Charles Lucero vs. Silver Star

Big Japan Pro-Wrestling: Korakuen Hall (01-02-2014) Koji Kanemoto vs. Kazuki Hashimoto

International Wrestling Revolution Group: Arena Naucalpan (02-02-2014) 911 vs. Golden Magic

Kana Produce: Fukuyama Big Rose (03-08-2015) Hikaru Shida & Syuri vs. Konami Takemoto & Kana