Pro Wrestling Only

Hiroyoshi Tenzan

Grimmas

*points at Grahm Crackers' post*

That. I did like their one tag in the 2000s project but seriously. How many opportunities did both get to do something worthwhile and not take advantage of? I would take NOAH Kobashi on his most overbearingly bad day over both.

• 2 months later...

I love Tenzan. If my list was based on hairstyles, entrance themes, outfits and sounds one makes before mongolian chops he'd be a top ten candidate. He doesn't really have a case for being a top 100 wrestler ever, though he has produced plenty of memorable stuff against superior workers (trilogy vs. Kawada, two G1 matches vs. Akiyama, the G1 match against Shibata, IWGP match vs. Tenryu, 1997 G1 match vs. Hashimoto etc.).

The reason Tenzan has been surprising people once or twice per year with a great match or two that they weren't expecting is because he isn't very good.

He has a charming charisma about him and ended up being a pretty big star, but he won't be within 1,000 miles of my list.

• 6 years later...

Honestly, I feel like even Nakanishi has more dynamic performances than Tenzan does and got over the "big powerhouse" style way better than Tenzan did. People love the guy and he has his bright spots, but if you can ONLY get a "it's alright, I guess" quality from working with the God-King of carry-jobs Osamu Nishimura, you are not a very good wrestler. I appreciate more his tag stuff but there's honestly not a lot there worth really checking out. His singles stuff is even more barren but he tends to work best in short bursts of action where he can get all of his stiff shots without tiring out or gassing up. Those matches are executed rarely super well but there's some strong work when he's paired off with great talent that can take the reins. Top 100? Very doubtful. Even a NJPW only list would be somewhat debatable.