Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 6/8 - 6/14/15

...TG

I can't believe that Kofi is such an effective heel after languishing in the same face spot for 8 years.

I can believe it. A few years ago when Kofi was doing a main event program with Randy Orton, there was a discussion here or on WCMB about if Kofi could have pulled off a serious vibe to his character. Someone then linked to a promo he cut in the indies before he joined the WWE. He was a heel in that clip and he actually showed a good aptitude to convey a serious urban menace. I was surprised but ever since then, I've been waiting for him to do a heel run in the WWE just to see if he could do that on the big stage. The character he has now isn't the same as what I saw but he's effective, definitely.

I can't believe that Kofi is such an effective heel after languishing in the same face spot for 8 years.

I can believe it. A few years ago when Kofi was doing a main event program with Randy Orton, there was a discussion here or on WCMB about if Kofi could have pulled off a serious vibe to his character. Someone then linked to a promo he cut in the indies before he joined the WWE. He was a heel in that clip and he actually showed a good aptitude to convey a serious urban menace. I was surprised but ever since then, I've been waiting for him to do a heel run in the WWE just to see if he could do that on the big stage. The character he has now isn't the same as what I saw but he's effective, definitely.

Weird he was doing the faux-Jamaican gimmick before he joined WWE and essentially kept his name. I'm pretty sure sure they didn't let developmental wrestlers pick their gimmick names like they do now.

So on NXT tonight we had Bull Dempsey lose to Tyler Breeze because he was too blown up from chasing him around the ring to fight back, and then later a backstage segment with William Regal where he ate a bag of Dorito's while Regal was talking, then Regal told him he had a problem and took his Dorito's, so Bull pulled a Hershey bar out of his tights and started eating it.

Seems to me like either Vince or Kevin Dunn must have some hand in writing NXT now........

I know a lot people will probably disagree, but I thought they've been handling Rollins' first reign as champ decently (for them.) RAW's main event's ending was incredibly awful. Mercury/Noble are fine as Stooges 2k15, but there is no reason Mercury should have pinned Seth essentially clean. If you "need" to have Seth pinned, have Ambrose hit him with the title after he comes over to get it. Do you think they'd let Brisco or Patterson pin Hunter in a similar manner during his feud with Vince during the summer of '99?

I think the nature of the Rollins push is different to the HHH one though. HHH was pushed as more of a tough guy who ultimately outsmarted everyone to position himself into the top spot. He was the catalyst for his own success, rather than being a chosen champion.

The Rollins push is more akin to the Rock in 1998 - the talented, but vainglorious Corporate champion who needs protection to ensure he keeps his title. Can I imagine Patterson and Briscoe rolling up the Rock after a ringside distraction from Stone Cold? Absolutely.

How is MITB going to go down? Are they going to pull the trigger on a Reigns heel/tweener turn (given that he's set to win the briefcase) and cash in on Rollins or Ambrose?

Two Scenarios:

1) Ambrose wins the title, Reigns cashes in there and then and wins, turning heel. Triple threat for Summerslam.

2) Rollins retains through nefarious means, Reigns comes out intending to cash in, Ambrose prevents this from being successful, alludes to the fact that he was cheated out of the title. Reigns doesn't turn (yet) cashes in for a title shot against Rollins at Summerslam, Ambrose is inserted into the match also - triple threat.

I can't see any of this ending without a triple threat at the #2 PPV of the year.

The Rollins push is more akin to the Rock in 1998 - the talented, but vainglorious Corporate champion who needs protection to ensure he keeps his title. Can I imagine Patterson and Briscoe rolling up the Rock after a ringside distraction from Stone Cold? Absolutely.

I can't. Would Rock do it? Probably, but he wouldn't be put in that position.

So on NXT tonight we had Bull Dempsey lose to Tyler Breeze because he was too blown up from chasing him around the ring to fight back, and then later a backstage segment with William Regal where he ate a bag of Dorito's while Regal was talking, then Regal told him he had a problem and took his Dorito's, so Bull pulled a Hershey bar out of his tights and started eating it.

Seems to me like either Vince or Kevin Dunn must have some hand in writing NXT now........

I love Dempsey, but in all fairness he probably saved his career by going the comedy route. Kevin Owens, Samoa Joe and even Rhino and Baron Corbin are all doing the serious big guy ass kicker gimmick on the same show.

NXT was fun this week. I'll give the Zack Ryder/Mojo Rawley team a chance. I think it's probably the best possible use of both guys at this stage.

Joe finally made his wrestling debut against a job guy. Match was about what you would expect from Joe vs. a job guy.

Is the new girl who wrestled Becky anybody I should know? She showed potential.

It's amazing how great New Day is on a weekly basis. How could they not let Big E or Xavier talk for all of this time? Who else on the roster has hidden skills like that?

Big E has always shown a great personality and ability to talk; but they limited that to Twitter and sideshow YouTube videos and such.

How is MITB going to go down? Are they going to pull the trigger on a Reigns heel/tweener turn (given that he's set to win the briefcase) and cash in on Rollins or Ambrose?

Two Scenarios:

1) Ambrose wins the title, Reigns cashes in there and then and wins, turning heel. Triple threat for Summerslam.

2) Rollins retains through nefarious means, Reigns comes out intending to cash in, Ambrose prevents this from being successful, alludes to the fact that he was cheated out of the title. Reigns doesn't turn (yet) cashes in for a title shot against Rollins at Summerslam, Ambrose is inserted into the match also - triple threat.

I can't see any of this ending without a triple threat at the #2 PPV of the year.

I think you are forgetting about a certain former WWE champion who would have a legitimate gripe against Rollins and is the prototypical A-list act who is absolutely pencilled in for Summerslam- Brock Lesnar. There will definitely be a triple threat but it won't be Ambrose in there. Honestly with that in mind, I hope Reigns doesn't win the MITB and instead he finds his way in the match from the get go anyways. I keep seeing stuff on the internet about Reigns cashing in a surprise as payback and I am at a loss thinking it is such a bad idea. Rollins pulled it off because that is his character. Reigns though? He is supremely gifted athletically and he knows it. He's a guy who is going to stand in your face and punch you in the mouth like a real man. If he wins MITB he absolutely has to go the RVD route and announce that he fully intends to cash in advance for a shot at Summerslam. Having him cash on Rollins after a match is a punk move and something that should be beneath him. Even if you want to turn him heel, he can do that while challenging the champion in advance. Just have him turn heel in the MITB match with brutal actions that goes beyond the normal level of competition.