• 7725 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 06:17 AM

Discuss here.

#2 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5071 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 07:26 AM

Possibly, but not definitely, 100 wrestlers currently active I'd rather watch.  Easily makes top 100 of modern stars I'd want to hear about as he's apparently an all-time dick.

#3 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11315 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 07:33 AM

blackadder-gif.gif

#4 Grimmas

Grimmas

a Wrestling Feminist

• Members
  • 7725 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 07:38 AM

blackadder-gif.gif

Mr. Bean???

#5 Dylan Waco

Dylan Waco
  • Moderators
  • 10163 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 07:41 AM

Better than Takada.

#6 cheapshot

cheapshot

The chap they call Allan.

• Members
  • 1036 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 07:41 AM

Bob had a fun career overall. Worked WWO, JCP as a job guy, SMW and WWE.

If you'd said in 1994 that he would headline a PPV eventually I would of scoffed at you; but in fairness he carved out a good run in WWE as "Hardcore" and is most famous for that, and bounced back well after the New MX deal as Bodacious Bob. No chance of making a Top 250, never mind 100.

#7 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5071 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 07:50 AM

Hey now.  Getting a title match beneath the Rumble is not headlining!

#8 GOTNW

GOTNW

save all japan pro wrestling

• Members
  • 1885 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 08:53 AM

Better than Takada.

Yeah, at breaking his own neck maybe.

#9 Eduardo

Eduardo
  • Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 01:25 AM

I really dug him on Velocity when I was in high school. Simple solid worker who I enjoyed watching. He had some fun matches, especially tags. Also I liked that Cody Rhodes stole some of his spots, but yeah, nowhere near a top one hundred worker. 

#10 JRGoldman

JRGoldman
  • Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 12:01 PM

I think Holly is a great example of how execution doesn't necessarily make for a great worker without other things to back it up. Everything Holly did looked perfect, but his matches were always still rather middling. 

#11 kjh

kjh
  • Members
  • 3122 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 07:30 AM

Bob had a fun career overall. Worked WWO, JCP as a job guy, SMW and WWE.

If you'd said in 1994 that he would headline a PPV eventually I would of scoffed at you; but in fairness he carved out a good run in WWE as "Hardcore" and is most famous for that, and bounced back well after the New MX deal as Bodacious Bob. No chance of making a Top 250, never mind 100.

Actually Bob was Bombastic and Bart was the Bodacious one. Agree with all here that he's not a serious candidate, but wouldn't be the worst person to fill someone's list out with.

#12 SomethingSavage

SomethingSavage
  • Members
  • 825 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 11:10 AM

I actually like a lot of Holly's matches & especially his character work at times, but nah. There's no reason why someone with the internet - meaning instant access to SO MUCH footage at their fingertips - couldn't easily comprise a list of 100 guys better than Bob. He just doesn't have the consistency or the overall output of "great" matches to make a list like this one.

The lifespan & length of Holly's career gave him plenty of chances to have memorable matches. One COULD argue that he didn't ever have a sustained push near the top, so he wasn't "allowed" to have the great, big epic style matches. (I've seen that discussion spring up recently, which is why I mention it.) But, in reality, Holly worked & functioned on EVERY level of the WWF/E cards over his time with the company. That means he worked with a wide, WIDE range of opponents - which could & should have equated to more memorable matches.

I like enough of his stuff, but the quantity of high quality work just isn't there.

#13 Superstar Sleeze

Superstar Sleeze
  • Members
  • 2997 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 07:29 PM

Is Bob Holly the most mediocre wrestler of all time? I cant think of one great Bob Holly match, but on the flip I cant think of one shitty match. Is he the definition of an average pro wrestler? Also whats the best Bob Holly match of all time?

#14 Jimmy Redman

Jimmy Redman
  • Members
  • 2337 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 08:05 PM

I feel like the one vs RVD on WWECw is a strong possibility. It's famous for the big gash on his back but it was also a great match.

#15 Eduardo

Eduardo
  • Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 09:17 PM

I've seen some pretty fun Bob Holly matches on Velocity. Also MNM-Haas/Holly feud was good. Thinking there probably is a better wrestler to dub the most mediocre of all time. 

#16 Exposer

Exposer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 2198 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 03:51 PM

Holly-JBL matches in October 2004 are awesome brawls. Ditto to the Hass tags vs MNM. He has plenty of good matches on Velocity. I don't subscribe to the great match theory so I'm a fan of Bob. I don't find him mediocre at all. Very solid worker who usually looked pretty good wherever he worked on the card.

#17 EricR

EricR
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 738 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 02:04 AM

I remember the two Stevie Richards matches from 2005 being awesome. 

#18 Bierschwale

Bierschwale
  • Members
  • 1058 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 07:36 AM

The Lesnar title match is GREAT. 

#19 iamthedoctor

iamthedoctor
  • Members
  • 703 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 01:07 AM

Is it wrong to enjoy Bob Holly more as Bob Holly than Hardcore Holly?

#20 joeg

joeg
  • Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 02:46 PM

I was always a fan. He easily had one of the best dropkicks of all time and he worked very,very snug. Those two things alone were enough for me to enjoy the sort of 3 to 10 minute mid card match he was usually in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users