Pro Wrestling Only

Exile on Badstreet #8 = Stardust Memories (The Life & Times of Dusty Rhodes)

KrisZ

Rhodes.jpg

Kris is joined by Will (Good Will Wrestling) & David Bixenspan (The Trade Marks) to discuss the life and times of “The American Dream” Dusty Rhodes and how much of an amazing man he was. We go over the amazing career of Big Dust spanning from his debut to present day….and the amazing matches and promos that we can remember. I hope this show does Big Dust some justice.. RIP Dream.

http://placetobenation.com/exile-on-badstreet-8-stardust-memories-the-life-times-of-dusty-rhodes/

This has become my favorite podcast on Earth. Please keep making it so that we can keep enjoying it.

That promo that opens the show where he's saying that "Elvis is on the line", talking about how they're gonna meet up is so haunting today.

Seventeen dancing go-go bears, now and forever.

Love the idea that "Hard Times" is the Pro Wrestling Promo equivalent of an album cut or Side B track of an artist picking up more notoriety than when it was first released on an album or on the radio thanks to being in an uber popular movie years later.

Most likely due to the timelessness of the "hard times" portion of the promo that went beyond getting fans to watch him exact revenge on Flair at Starrcade, and a then, what, 25 year (now almost 30) old promo suddenly feels as relevant as it was back in the fall of 1985.

Kris didn't prepare for this show so it only went 3 1/2 hours. ;)

LOL! Yeah, but like every great historical overview (and I'm mostly talking history classes is various grades schools and colleges/universities as well), the bulk is on the older stuff, with the last 20 or so years crammed into the last 30 minutes (or the equivalent for books and classes).

Granted Dusty was done in terms of an actual regular on screen presence after his 2000 WCW run, and even then was a primarily a commentator on Da Mothership, WCW Saturday Night and PPVs, for most of the mid-1990s before his heel turn, but still his last 20 years did get the usual short shrift.

Two hours into this and it's fantastic! When I saw that it was nigh on four hours long I did worry, but it has held my attention throughout and the podcast is nicely broken up with some classic promos to the point that time is flying by when listening to it. Huge congratulations for putting this together so soon after his passing as the depth you go into on Dusty's career is fascinating and I've learned so much already.

BTW, going back to what I said about the "Hard Times" promo, maybe its just the overall sentiment that I get from various corners of the internet that because "history is written by the victors" that takes an extra critical look at any official WWE production, and the fallout from it, usually from the bad perspective, to the point where, while yeah there are points where the official "history" is laughably out of touch with reality, anything that is said or done is looked at with a whole grain of salt, even if it isn't warranted.

Okay, I know most likely I'm hearing way too much into it, but I don't know, for some reason it seemed the discussion of how "Hard Times" became a "hit" long after the fact seemed to be tinged with a little too much anti-official WWE "version" of history somehow. Despite how I said it seems to be a thing of sorts, especially with film makers like Quentin Tarrantino choosing soundtrack songs, to use an obscure B-Side or album track and all of a sudden the song gets found years after its original release.

But, like I said, its probably just me hearing "what I want to hear" based on a lot of anti official WWE historical products I've seen and heard since they've been focusing on the history of the industry with their projects.

BTW, going back to what I said about the "Hard Times" promo, maybe its just the overall sentiment that I get from various corners of the internet that because "history is written by the victors" that takes an extra critical look at any official WWE production, and the fallout from it, usually from the bad perspective, to the point where, while yeah there are points where the official "history" is laughably out of touch with reality, anything that is said or done is looked at with a whole grain of salt, even if it isn't warranted.

Okay, I know most likely I'm hearing way too much into it, but I don't know, for some reason it seemed the discussion of how "Hard Times" became a "hit" long after the fact seemed to be tinged with a little too much anti-official WWE "version" of history somehow. Despite how I said it seems to be a thing of sorts, especially with film makers like Quentin Tarrantino choosing soundtrack songs, to use an obscure B-Side or album track and all of a sudden the song gets found years after its original release.

But, like I said, its probably just me hearing "what I want to hear" based on a lot of anti official WWE historical products I've seen and heard since they've been focusing on the history of the industry with their projects.

Not to speak for Kris or Will but I meant it as being proof of how good Dusty was week to week that it didn't stick out as amazing in context.

I agree with what Bix said. I was listening to Dusty Rhodes week in and week out back then... and he had to contend with tons of great talkers week in and week out (Flair, Arn, Tully, Valiant, etc.) not to mention great promos by Savage in WWF, Bock in AWA that it only stands out in retrospect especially when we are exposed to horrible script written promos on a weekly basis. You could say the same thing about the "Violence for the sake of Violence" promo or the "View from Behind" promo.

Random sidebar - but Kris has said he's taking requests here at PWO and on Twitter for future show subjects, so I thought I'd pitch the idea of a Puerto Rico timeline, similar to the in-depth discussion we've gotten for Crockett. It's cool if it's crammed into one show or whatever if need be. I just feel like there's PLENTY of potential "meat" on the matter though.

The Colon/Hansen series, Chicky Starr & the Sports Shop, the Abby/Colon love-hate link that features more turns than a combined Sting & Lex Luger comp, and on & on.

There's a wide range of guys that got (arguably) some of the best stints of their career there. Cases could be made for the Sheeps (as Dylan has mentioned), Savio/TNT, Steve Strong, Miguel Jr., etc.

An entirely extra area of discussion could be dedicated to the stars that came in for short stays - whether it be a Funk, Savage, Hansen, Martel, Konnan, Sheiky Baby, Atlas, or whoever.

A spotlight on the insane, chaotic style... the die-hard fan base... and all the specialty stipulation matches, gimmicks, etc.

Could even maybe talk up some of the bookers that were there - and their respective strategies to draw fans, although that one might be a little trickier to track than some of the other stuff. I know Dutch has documented some of his time there in shoot interviews though.

Absolutely loved this.

But did Will (or someone) fell asleep in the first 30-40 minutes? I could've sworn I was hearing someone snoring or doing some very heavy breathing for a long while. It was very distracting and very funny :lol:

i was probably just breathing directly into the mic. I have a headset and when I lift the speaker, it is literally right under my nose. I usually mute myself when not talking but not this time.