1983 Project General Chatter Thread

1811 replies to this topic

#21 goc

goc

A disgrace to Joe Blanchard

• Members
  • 7421 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 12:14 PM

I will not be writing any shows until my first TV taping on Monday, July 4th. If I were a booker hired in the middle of the Southwest weekly loop I wouldn't have time to really change any of the cards or finishes so I'll just wait until the first TV to "take over"

#22 peachchaos

peachchaos
  • Members
  • 1003 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 12:34 PM

Bruce Hart is drafted to All Star but still booking in Stampede?

Yep. Stu has decided to pass the torch to Bruce a bit earlier than expected and Bruce has agreed to do his booking on the road. He will still appear in Stampede from time to time. We're outsourcing our TV production to a company in Vancouver to make it all look a bit more professional and will be moving tapings into a local studio in Calgary sometime in the next few months.

#23 goc

goc

• Members
  • 7421 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 11:22 PM

I like to have a general feel for what a guy is capable for if I am going to be booking him to do anything important, so this project has put my stupidly over-sized wrestling collection to good use. I even broke out my small supply of Atlantic Grand Prix and decided to put this episode up on youtube:

Man Mountain Mike (Mike Shaw) & Rick Patterson vs. The Alaskan Bear & Paul Peller

AGPW International Heavyweight Champion The Super Destroyer (w/Bobby Bass) vs. Sgt. Ryan O'Connor
The Great Malumba vs. Mike Steele
AGPW European Heavyweight Champion Killer Karl Krupp (w/Hans Herman) vs. T.G. Stone in a non-title match
Ronnie Rich & Ron Starr vs. Sweet Daddy Siki & Lenny Montana

I thought I would share this in case anyone has some of these guys on their roster and wanted to take a look at them. I get a kick out of it EVERY time the announcer says "Grand" in the Grand Prix Wrestling.

#24 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 10262 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 06:22 PM

This thing is going to make everyone delay GOAT voting for two years.

#25 Jimmy Redman

Jimmy Redman
  • Members
  • 2338 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 08:27 PM

Ha I was just thinking the same thing, looking at new posts and realising that GWE talk has died since this idea began.

#26 Grimmas

Grimmas

a Wrestling Feminist

• Members
  • 7890 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 08:31 PM

Voting is due for GWE at WrestleMania in 2016. No extensions.

The Smarkchoice poll was in 2006 and the idea is for a new poll to happen every ten years.

#27 Jimmy Redman

Jimmy Redman
  • Members
  • 2338 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 08:33 PM

I don't think it was a serious fear of an extension as much as a comment on the difficulties some people will have multitasking between now and then.

#28 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 10262 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 09:41 PM

Also a comment on the sheer amount of effort you guys are putting into this, yes. I think there's some real merit in this with the research and what not that's been done. That said, we've been in sort of a weird state the last few weeks where instead of a broad range of stuff, we've had two major threads (art and star ratings) that have had a thousand posts each, the Cena discussion, and then almost everything else is this.

#29 goc

goc

• Members
  • 7421 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 11:24 PM

Also a comment on the sheer amount of effort you guys are putting into this, yes. I think there's some real merit in this with the research and what not that's been done. That said, we've been in sort of a weird state the last few weeks where instead of a broad range of stuff, we've had two major threads (art and star ratings) that have had a thousand posts each, the Cena discussion, and then almost everything else is this.

I tried to atone for my sins with offerings to youtube. And by making a new recap in the Southeastern thread.

#30 Grimmas

Grimmas

a Wrestling Feminist

• Members
  • 7890 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 04:56 AM

This game might push Rick Martel up my list and Valentine from all the watching I am doing.

#31 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11324 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 06:28 AM

GWE is my priority.

#32 Grimmas

Grimmas

a Wrestling Feminist

• Members
  • 7890 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 09:58 AM

My first show will be Wednesday and most people are having a big show on Saturday. So things are about to get rolling!

#33 dawho5

dawho5
  • Members
  • 2790 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 06:17 PM

Has anyone else gotten a promotion they knew almost nothing about and found that it was way more up their alley than I imagined?  I did some looking into Montreal and it seems like they have a very AWA vibe as far as babyfaces go.  Once the heels go past a certain point and the blood feud is on, the babyface is okay to turn heel tactics around on them.  It seems like the house style was a pretty fast-paced brawl with some cool spots and technical wrestling thrown in to keep it interesting.  They also seem to like their heated brawls in feuds, see the Rougeaus vs. the Garvins.  In speaking to others about this, they have seen French language footage of the match I saw with no X-ing out of the bloody face of Ronnie Garvin.  So basically I am not making big leaps by building feuds into hate-filled brawls where the faces will take the law into their own hands if it comes down to that.  My plan is to use blood sparingly on TV to make it a big deal, but house shows I am thinking there ought to be a bloody, hate-filled brawl in Montreal once every few weeks.  What a great way to keep 3000 fans showing up at the Paul Suave Arena every Saturday evening and get as close to 18,000 as possible into the Forum on my big shows.  I see Abby making some appearances in 1984, no way the idea of a Hansen vs. Abby bloodbath doesn't sell tickets.

#34 JHawk

JHawk
  • Members
  • 918 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 07:20 PM

Aside from a handful of guys, I've never really followed who was on the actual WWA roster.  I like that I have a handful of their core guys but am basically looking into working with completely fresh rosters.

#35 Grimmas

Grimmas

a Wrestling Feminist

• Members
  • 7890 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 07:45 PM

Toronto wasn't a real promotion so there is that. I tried to follow the spirit of my home town though.

#36 Boon

Boon
  • Members
  • 1256 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 05:35 AM

Whoever is the chosen as the next champion, I'd like them to come into Southeastern for a week so my audience can get familiarise with them before taking the strap.

#37 Grimmas

Grimmas

a Wrestling Feminist

• Members
  • 7890 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 07:42 AM

I am so pumped to unleash my first card on you guys on Wednesday. Some cool surprises setting up future shows and lots of awesome wrestling!

Who will be the NWA Canadian Champion find out Wednesday!

Plus, I plan on making the Canada Cup a yearly affair ala the Championship Carnival/G1 Climax.

#38 rainmakerrtv

rainmakerrtv
  • Members
  • 1434 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 08:01 AM

Canada Cup sounds awesome.

#39 Grimmas

Grimmas

a Wrestling Feminist

• Members
  • 7890 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 08:23 AM

Canada Cup sounds awesome.

I'm trying to steal as many ideas as I can from hockey.

#40 rainmakerrtv

rainmakerrtv
  • Members
  • 1434 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 08:49 AM

As a fellow Canadian, I applaud you for that. Poutine and Timmies for the backstage catering!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users