Pro Wrestling Only

1983 Project General Chatter Thread

rainmakerrtv

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that the thing that confused me was seeing that you actually had Cowboy Bob on a loan on your roster (obviously to me lol) and I was originally supposed to swap Orton and Larry Z at the end of the year with MACW. In that case, this is case closed. I'll be able to work out something with rain.

If it's cool with everyone, I'd like to pick up writing Japan again in the new year. Unfortunately, it would have to be a simplified and much less ambitious version than what I did last year... but I figure a little is better than nothing.

If it's cool with everyone, I'd like to pick up writing Japan again in the new year. Unfortunately, it would have to be a simplified and much less ambitious version than what I did last year... but I figure a little is better than nothing.

You get us the Japanese roster you want to work with and we will make it happen. It can be JWA, New Japan, or All Japan... your choice.

Thank you, gentlemen.

I'd like to go with this version of my revamped JWA:

Baba's Corporation:

Giant Baba

Jumbo Tsuruta

Yoshiaki Yatsu

Isamu "Carpenter' Teranishi

Shiro Koshinaka

Mitsuharu Misawa

Hiro Hase (rookie)

Dos Caras

El Canek

Gran Hamada

Tenryu's Gang:

Genichiro Tenryu (World Heavyweight Champion)

Ashura Hara

Mighty Inoue

Animal Hamaguchi

Masa Fuchi

Toshiaki Kawada

Samson Fuyuki

Super Strong Machine

Strong Machine #2 (George "The Cobra" Takano with a new gimmick)

Strong Machine #3 (Shunji Takano with a new gimmick)

Choshu's Army:

Riki Choshu (Tag Champ)

Rusher Kimura (Tag Champ)

Umanosuke Ueda

Tatsutoshi Goto

Anoaro Atisanoe

Sivi Afi

Kensuke Sasaki (rookie)

Black Tiger (Rollerball Rocco)

Kuniaki Kobayashi

Phil Hickerson

Fujinami's Family

Tatsumi Fujinami (Japanese Champion)

Yoshiaki Fujiwara

Kengo Kamura

Shinya Hashimoto

Keiji Mutoh

Masa Chono

Keiji "Thunder" Yamada

Masakatsu "Flying" Funaki

Nobuhiko "Esperanza" Takada

Tiger Mask (Sayama) (Middleweight Champion)

If that's acceptable, then please add:

Antonio Inoki, Akira Maeda, Naoki Sano, Osamu Kido, Yoshinari Ogawa, Takashi Ishikawa, Kantaro Hoshino, and Shunji Kosugi to the free agents list. Perhaps Inoki could work as a Freelancer if enough people are interested...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't jump on this part of things often but I wanted to say how much I love how the project is going. We have some diverse, but very good writing styles going on and I wanted to take the time to show my appreciation for the writers. In no particular order.

LowBlow

I love your combination of realism with the TV setup and announcers with a much better card layout featuring marquee matchups that just didn't happen. And like you said in another thread, you prefer to take established guys and work with them. Seems like more realism for a guy running "the big leagues". I always like the little asides you put in here and there that give hints as to what is coming later too. Your SNME write-ups really are a highlight with the openings being really spot-on. Also like how you write Hogan so accurately despite not caring for him too much. The challengers you put in front of him are way more entertaining than IRL for my money.

SirEdger

You really make Lutte into something close to what it was. I have seen a very small amount and appreciate the level of detail you go into on that front. Your angles always really come off well too. You keep things really concise, but still capture the direction things are going very well. I envy that a lot. The sheer variety of your match-ups really keeps things fresh. I like the amount of NWA integration you use and I think you are the guy who brought this to the forefront honestly. Martel's list of challengers has been impressive and varied, which I like a lot.

rainmakerr

The way you develop your younger wrestlers is really, really good. I also like that you try to find bits and pieces from all over to have a mix of everything on the card in addition to all the rookies and the big midwest names. I really like how you plant seeds with your shows, leaving little breadcrumb trails to follow for the non-casual fan. Your setup is really good with guys like Bock, Orndorff and Zbysko bringing the fans in and the young guys working veterans to learn. Another real big plus is you would have a lot of fans learning about British wrestling and lucha due to the names in their own backyard.

GeneJackson

You get so much out of your TV. And your shows. Everything has this great sense of "it really comes from WCCW" to it. I'm pretty sure Embry is one of the most popular wrestlers in the project due mostly to you. I love how all the different storylines mix and match when they need to as well. Nobody is immune from being involved in somebody else's shit. One thing I always liked about WCCW is the idea that the Freebirds were heels against a lot of people, but against Akbar they were 100% babyfaces. Cheating bastards still, but babyfaces. I get the sense that is the case for you as well.

kevin

I'll come out and say it. At first i was put off by the whole Nation thing you had going in 85. But it grew on me and you use it the right way. One thing I like about your booking is the way the heels will band together into cohesive units and use their numbers on the babyfaces. Then the babyfaces form these loose confederations that may or may not be able to stand in the face of these organized heels. You have the race-baiting from the 80s in the South down too. I'm a big fan of the way you advance your angles because it fits perfect with a Southern promotion. The amalgam of Mid South and Memphis gave you a lot of freedom and in the wrong hands it would have gone wrong quickly. You get it right though.

gordi

You have a great grasp of the Japanese scene at the time. I like how you put Tenryu above Jumbo. It shows you are willing to upset the apple cart as it were and rebuild it a different way. I also like how you use that idea in the kind of matches you present. As JWA it makes sense that you can do these things. No major competition. :) Your detailed show write-ups really capture the way a match goes without killing any enjoyment, which is a hard thing to do. I look at your booking as something like Abby becoming best buddies with Baba and getting in his ear about the kind of matches he ran. :)

spaldoni

So far I really like your focus on midcarders for your shows. Develop that young talent for the future and keep the blue chippers. Your style so far is an amalgam of everyone else's, which is a pretty cool read. You have the right instincts with where your wrestlers are going so far and how to get them there. I would say trust those instincts and follow them on how you write up your shows. Try what you want to try and build on it. This isn't a criticism because I enjoy your shows very much. I thought your Starrcade writing was your best writing because I thought it broke from the norm more. I just think you may be limiting yourself by not exploring the places you want to go.

Edit:

As for me, I'm a carpenter. I look at the nails and screws and the wood and figure out where I want to put it all and why. Then I tell you why in really long-winded ways. I really do envy the terse nature of your angles a lot of the time.