Pro Wrestling Only

[1983-07-29-Houston Wrestling] Jim Duggan vs Ted DiBiase (Street Fight)

Superstar Sleeze

“Hacksaw” Jim Duggan vs Ted DiBiase – Mid-South, Houston 7/29/83, Street Fight

In order to maintain his rule over Mid-South, Ted DiBiase turned to the evil Skandor Akbar and his menagerie of wildmen to destroy his foes. This upset his friend Hacksaw Duggan, who while not a nice guy did not care for Akbar’s brand of evil. He told DiBiase he was going to wage war with Akbar, but they did not necessarily have to come to blows. Duggan tore Akbar’s clothes off to humiliate him and Akbar swore revenge and wanted DiBiase to exact, but he seemed reluctant to attack his former friend. However, in a Duggan match against Kendo Nagaski, he attacked Duggan setting off a red hot feud throughout the territory. Culminating in a loser leaves town match that would send DiBiase to Georgia for a year. I am not sure if this was that Loser Leaves Town, but it sure as hell was a great barnburner. It is a street fight so shirts and blue jeans are in order and don’t expect much in the way of wrestling moves. This was an awesome, intense fight. These were two bitter enemies looking to knock each other the fuck out. Duggan had a series of punches early and DiBiase could not get much started. Duggan tore DiBiase’s shirt and choked him with hit. Only to rip off his own and choke him with that. DiBiase responded with his belt lashing Duggan and punching him in the head with it. Duggan stormed back and the crowd was whipped into a frenzy. Duggan returned the favor with belt lashes and punches of his own. He sent DiBiase to outside and looked to take his head off with the chair. They battled over the chair with Duggan winning and hitting some of the best chair shots for the 80s on DiBiase. Akbar distracted Duggan long enough for DiBiase to sneak attack him and hit a fist drop. He invited Akbar in to wallop him with the chair, but he got walloped! Duggan choked Akbar and as DiBiase came behind Hacksaw; Hacksaw moved and DiBiase hit a chair shot on Akbar. Duggan nailed him with a tremendous right and then nailed him in the head with the chair. Awesome, awesome street fight. I am not a huge proponent of blood, but if there was one missing ingredient it was that. It was nasty, gritty brawl between two wrestlers that hated each other. Just slightly under the awesome DiBiase/Magnum matches a year later, but an excellent start for Hacksaw Duggan! ****1/4

• 3 months later...

Wow this is just awesome brawl. Houston loves them some Hacksaw Duggan. This was just violent and full of hate. Totally out of control. Dibiase takes a big time ass kicking. He's also pretty good at taking it to Duggan. The punches in this thing are awesome. Their is a ferociousness to it. Akbar is a manager that I've always liked. A massive heat magnet. I liked how the finish in this was worked. Great stuff from a great feud. No wonder this was Paul Boesch's favorite feud. 4 1/4*

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Oh yeah, this brawl is awesome! I guess the earliest of what is one of the most famous rivalries from the territory. It does not disappoint. I thought Duggan was fantastic in this. I love his long extended round house punches. They just look devastating. Of course, DiBiase does a great job selling and bumping for him too. Thanks for the storyline surrounding the match Sleeze, it helped with the drama. I'll be watching those promos soon if they are on the set. ****1/4

• 5 months later...

This is such agreat feud. I love Boeschs line of A come as you are fight means you wont leave how you came. Im a sucker for street fights with jeans and cowboy boots, the type of thing that you donmt see much of anymore.

As far as the match goes, I love that there were pretty much zero actual wrestling moves and actually resembled a fight. The transitions were all fought for and it had a real feeling of a struggle. I love Duggans big right hands, and Dibiase was great bumping for him. For the type of match this was, it went about the right length. Greedily I would have liked to see more but Im very happy with what we did get.

****1/4

• GSR changed the title to [1983-07-29-Houston Wrestling] Jim Duggan vs Ted DiBiase (Street Fight)