Pro Wrestling Only

Maple Leaf Wrestling Results

Grimmas

Maple Leaf Wrestling presents Canada Day Super Show: The Canada Cup
July 1, 1983 at Exhibition Stadium in Toronto, Ontario
The show opens with the playing of the Canadian national anthem.
1. Little Tokyo & Tiny Anderson vs Cowboy Lang & Tiger Jackson
A high energy match to pump up the crowd at the beginning of the show. Little Tokyo and Tiny Anderson cheat to gain advantage through out. In the end Tiger Jackson pins the NWA World Minis Champion (Tokyo) with a flying cross body from the top rope.

Winners - Cowboy Lang & Tiger Jackson @ 8:23
Billy Red Lyons introduces Maple Leaf Wrestling President Jack Tunney and former NWA World Champion Gene Kiniski. They bring out the NWA Canadian Title and the Canada Cup. The rules are laid out for NWA Maple Leaf Wrestling. You can win by pinfall, submission, DQ or by a 10-count out on the floor. Matches have a 30 minute time limit, except in the first round of the tournament where it is 15 minutes.
2. Canada Cup First Round (NWA Canadian Title Tournament)
Sgt. Slaughter vs "Big" Stephen Petipas
Petipas does it best and gets a nice nearfall near the end with a body press. However Slaughter gets the win with the Slaughter Cannon as he is clearly the more established wrestler. Petipas kept fighting though and gave Slaughter a tough challenge.
Winner - Sgt. Slaughter @ 12:17
3. Canada Cup First Round (NWA Canadian Title Tournament)
Bret Hart vs Jesse "The Body" Ventura

Hart gets a little shine sequence to start the match, before Ventura uses his power to gain the advantage. After a few minutes of poses and power moves Bret plays possum and rolls up Ventura for the upset win.
Winner - Bret Hart @ 4:53
After the match Jesse throws a few chairs around and leaves to the back looking shameful.

4. Canada Cup First Round (NWA Canadian Title Tournament)
Greg "The Hammer" Valentine vs Wahoo McDaniel
A brutal slugfest between these two hard hitters. Midway through the contest Don Carson came to ringside. Wahoo does his comeback war dance, but is tripped up by Carson which leads to Valentine dropping the Hammer elbow for the win.
Winner - Greg Valentine @ 14:23
Wahoo is pissed and goes to attack Carson post match. Valentine, however, grabs a chair and nails Wahoo from behind knocking him out as Valentine and Carson leave together.

5. Canada Cup First Round (NWA Canadian Title Tournament)
"The Russian Bear" Ivan Koloff vs Rick Martel
This was a fast and furious match worked at a break neck speed. Back and forth quick action leading to Martel winning with a slingshot splash.
Winner - Rick Martel @ 9:32
Bobby Bass, who is smoking a Cuban cigar, The Cuban Aassassin and Chicky Starr come to the ring to salsa music.

6. Bobby Bass & Cuban Assassin & Chicky Starr vs Leo Burke & Rocky Johnson & Ben Bassarab

An old school southern tag match with the Cuban team cheating all the way, lead by Bass' antics. The Canadians were clearly the better team, but Bass hits Bassarab with a mariachi behind the referee's back for the win.

Winners - Bobby Bass & Cuban Assassin & Chicky Starr @ 12:35

7. Canada Cup Semi-Final (NWA Canadian Title Tournament)
Sgt. Slaughter vs Bret Hart
Bret tries to put up a strong contest, but Slaughter is just too much and he gets the win with the Cobra Clutch to advance to the finals of the Canada Cup.
Winner - Sgt. Slaughter @ 6:03
Greg Valentine comes to the ring with Don Carson. Billy Red Lyons confronts Carson to ask what is going on and in response Carson pulls out a manager's license that was signed by Jack Tunney earlier today. Don Carson is officially Valentine's manager.

8. Canada Cup Semi-Final (NWA Canadian Title Tournament)
Greg "The Hammer" Valentine w/ Don Carson vs Rick Martel
Valentine goes straight to working on Marel's leg and that is his focus for the match. Martiel fights valiantly from underneath on one leg. At one point they get to the outside and Martel is thrown into the ring post and busted open. The match seems all Valentine, since Martel's leg is in bad shape and he is bleeding but Martel gets a roll up when Valentine goes for a figure-four leglock which gains him a three count and a spot in the finals of the Canada Cup!
Winner - Rick Martel @ 21:02
9. Killer Khan vs Andre the Giant
These two goliaths go at it in a similar contest to their one from New Japan a year prior. Andre picks up the win after a huge splash.
Winner - Andre the Giant @ 16:21

10. Canada Cup Final (NWA Canadian Title Tournament)
Sgt. Slaughter vs Rick Martel
Martel enters the match with a badly injured leg and his head wrapped up from the earlier bleeding.This is your classic babyface vs heel match with the heel having a big advantage. Slaughter works the cut and rips off the bandages which gets the blood flowing again. He works a little on the leg, but mostly focuses on the neck to set up the Cobra Clutch. Martel takes every advantage he has to attack Slaughter's back. Late in the contest Slaughter hits the Slaughter Cannon, but Martel gets his leg on the ropes. Slaughter goes for the Cannon again, but Martel ducks and Slaughter bumps huge to the floor. This leads to Martel's comeback and him getting the win with the Boston Crab.
Winner - Rick Martel @ 23:12
Rick Martel wins the Canada Cup and the NWA Canadian Title

Legendary former NWA World Champion Gene Kiniski and Maple Leaf Wrestling President Jack Tunny present Rick Martel with the
Canada Cup and the NWA Canadian Title. As photos are snapped, "Nature Boy" Ric Flair crashes the party. He talks about seeing some great wrestling tonight, but notes that the Canadian Title and Maple Leaf Wrestling is nothing compared to American wrestling and the home of the United States Title Jim Crocket Promotions. Ric Flair promises to return on July 26 in Maple Leaf Gardens with 4 of his American wrestling friends and he will show Canadian wrestling fans what true wrestling really is. At this point he slaps Rick Martel as security separates them.
Upcoming
July 11 @ Halifax Forum featuring round robin tournament for the NWA Canadian Tag Team Titles including: Rick Martel/Tony Garea, Ivan Koloff/Alexis Smirnoff & Leo Burke/Stephen Petipas
July 18 @ Oshawa Civic Auditorium featuring the minis
July 26 @ Maple Leaf Gardens featuring Ric Flair and his four American wrestling friends and the minis

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick takeaways:

Tunney takes the midgets seriously as he's setting up a title match with that result. Martel ended up looking like a massive worldbeater given how you did that. Did Bret tap out or pass out? I'm disappointed that the cup wasn't destroyed.

Thanks everybody for the feedback!

Quick takeaways:

Tunney takes the midgets seriously as he's setting up a title match with that result. Martel ended up looking like a massive worldbeater given how you did that. Did Bret tap out or pass out? I'm disappointed that the cup wasn't destroyed.

Midget title match is signed for Maple Leaf Gardens on July 26th! Martel is the man and will be the ace here, plus he will defend the title all across North America.

The reason the Cup was not destroyed is because the Canada Cup will be an annual tournament like the Championship Carnival.

Damn.. I would have thrown my remote at the TV after Wahoo lost. He was ROBBED!!!!!!

Awesome show otherwise.

Wahoo will be looking for revenge and the blood will spill between Valentine and Wahoo.

Damn.. I would have thrown my remote at the TV after Wahoo lost. He was ROBBED!!!!!!

Awesome show otherwise.

I had a floor model TV (no remote) in 1983. :(

Enjoyed this card, good read. Looks like Bret Hart did the possum bit all the way back then, and it worked as usual! Bret and Ventura would have been a fun match. Obviously Wahoo and Valentine was a battle. Really loved Martel vs. Valentine, and a great finals to boot with my fave Martel going over.

Martel gets the attention of the Nature Boy, as I salivate over what could be.

Really good flow, enjoyed it.

Just caught up with your shows. A few thoughts:

Enjoyed the Canada Cup. It was fairly obvious from your championing of Martel that he was going to win the tournament and title, but usually the obvious choice is also the best choice, so I'm glad you went with him. Slaughter was a perfect choice to put him over in the finals and the hot angle with Flair to close the show really capped things off in a big way.

Good follow up on TV to the seeds planted at the Canada Cup. Loved Ventura stirring the pot at every opportunity. It'll be interesting to see who Flair's mates are come the next Maple Leaf Gardens show.

Look forward to reading more.

Awesome!

Also remember half of the card is Montreal talent and half is Toronto talent!

The fact is not lost on me! I'm excited to see the two promotions coming together to run my humble little town. The Metro Centre is about 5 years old at this point, if you need a higher capacity building to run a super card in Halifax. ;)

Keep up the good work!

Awesome!

The fact is not lost on me! I'm excited to see the two promotions coming together to run my humble little town. The Metro Centre is about 5 years old at this point, if you need a higher capacity building to run a super card in Halifax. ;)

Keep up the good work!

Maybe there will be a big event there in the future!

I'm not sure about running in the Maritmes during the winter though.. any thoughts.

Awesome!

Keep up the good work!

Maybe there will be a big event there in the future!

I'm not sure about running in the Maritmes during the winter though.. any thoughts.

It was always a summer promotion, historically speaking. But I don't see any reason why you couldn't run here in the winter. The biggest issue you face, summer or winter, is a logistical one--getting your wrestlers from Toronto down to the Maritimes. I wonder if a one-off show would be able to turn a profit given the cost of bringing in talent. That said, you could run a four or five city circuit to squeeze some extra dollars out of the whole region and offset the cost of flying in talent. The Montreal crew may be less of a problem, as they might consider driving, especially you run a proper loop.

Montreal I only have one touring day per week. I don't figure on making a ton of money on touring shows given the fact that Montreal is the only real big city in the province. Anything else even close is really, really close by except for Saguenay, which I am not running in winter or fall and every second loop in spring/summer. I have a couple of guys who are actually bigger names in Halifax than they are in Montreal, something that was done on purpose. They will be running those shows a lot and in a bigger role than in Montreal.

Montreal I only have one touring day per week. I don't figure on making a ton of money on touring shows given the fact that Montreal is the only real big city in the province. Anything else even close is really, really close by except for Saguenay, which I am not running in winter or fall and every second loop in spring/summer. I have a couple of guys who are actually bigger names in Halifax than they are in Montreal, something that was done on purpose. They will be running those shows a lot and in a bigger role than in Montreal.

You can probably do better than you might think, especially if you run an expanded schedule in the summer. Quebec City is bigger than Halifax and had an NHL-sized arena. It should be a regular stop. And there are a bunch of small cities and large towns with QMJHL teams that have 2,000-5,000 seat arenas and populations adequate to support semi-regular shows. They would be great for summer tours. I believe Ottawa and Cornwall in Ontario were also part of the Montreal territory, but Toronto's expansion plans might be an obstacle to running there! Then again, the 1983 project is about booking, not business. I'm just fixating on how to max out the profits.

Can't wait to see the Montreal performers working the joint shows in Halifax. Nice to see my city being spoiled with joint shows by two big-time promotions.

Maple Leaf Wrestling & International Wrestling

July 11, 1983 at Halfiax Forum in Halfiax, Nova Scotia

1. King Tonga vs. Tony Ricco

Ricco started hot, but Tonga was an absolute buzzsaw after he got fired up and put Ricco away with a thumb spike.

Winner - King Tonga @ 5:14

2. Leo Burke & Stephen Petipas vs Rick Martel & Tony Garea (NWA Canadian Tag Team Title Round Robin Tournament)

A baby face match up with Garea and Martel working subtle heel. Burke gets the win with the sleeper on Garea.

Winner - Leo Burke & Stephen Petipas @ 18:01

3. Ivan Koloff & Super Russian vs Rick Martel & Tony Garea (NWA Canadian Tag Team Title Round Robin Tournament)

A full on southern tag match with Martel working the face in peril. After Garea's hot tag and dominance he is left alone in the ring with Koloff. At this point Don Carson appeared at ringside and distracted Garea. Super Russian gets a chop block from behind leading to Koloff rolling him up for the win.

Winner - Ivan Koloff & Super Russian @ 14:21

4. Rene Goulet vs. Tonga John

Even watch with Goulet countering John's brawling with technical wrestling until he couldn't take it anymore and started brawling with the big Tongan. Tonga John hit a running big boot after Goulet ducked a clothesline for the win.

Winner - Tonga John @ 9:54

5. Gilles Poisson vs. Dave Kochen

The bigger Poisson was quickly subdued by punches from Kochen, but used his weight to elan on Kochen and force a rope break that Poisson took advantage of. Poisson cheated several times to swing momentum back in his way, but Kochen was able to get some momentum going and put on the abdominal stretch for the win.

Winner - Dave Kochen @ 11:33

6. Mr. Saito vs Ben Bassarab

Basarab was a fighting young lion, but gets beat be the Saito Suplex.

Winner - Mr. Saito @ 12:16

7. The Midnight Express vs. Raymond and Armand Rougeau

Armand got himself into trouble chasing Rose into the wrong corner after an early rush and took a vicious beating from the Midnights. Raymond made the most of Armand's eventual tag, but couldn't keep wrestling one on two and the Midnights put away Armand with a combination second rope powerslam/running legdrop.

Winner - the Midnight Express @ 14:48

8. Ivan Koloff & Super Russian w/ Don Carson vs Leo Burke & Stephen Petipas (NWA Canadian Tag Team Title Round Robin Tournament Decision Match)

Don Carson was the difference maker in this one helping the Russians cheat their way to the titles when the Super Russian puts Petipas in the figure-four for the submssion win.

Winner - Ivan Koloff & Super Russian @ 15:01

Ivan Koloff & Super Russian win the NWA Canadian Tag Team Titles

8. Ivan Koloff & Super Russian w/ Don Carson vs Leo Burke & Stephen Petipas (NWA Canadian Tag Team Title Round Robin Tournament Decision Match)

Don Carson was the difference maker in this one helping the Russians cheat their way to the titles when the Super Russian puts Petipas in the figure-four for the submssion win.

Winner - Ivan Koloff & Super Russian @ 15:01

Ivan Koloff & Super Russian win the NWA Canadian Tag Team Titles

Great card overall. Nuclear heat for the finish of that final match. The title tournament + the Midnights v. Rougeaus match makes this an over-the-top good night of tag wrestling. Well done, guys!

Watch it or the Rougeaus will be carrying a copy of the Wade Smeltzer Flaming spectator during their entrances, carefully translated to French by a paid employee of course, only to rip it to shreds. THAT will show you gossip journalists a thing or two.

Maple Leaf Wrestling

July 18, 1983 at Oshawa Civic Auditorium in Oshawa, Ontario

1. Ben Bassarab pinned Nobuhiko Takada @ 8:30 with a roll up.

2. "Outlaw" Joel Deaton pinned Angelo Mosca Jr. @ 3:04 with a big boot.

3. Mr. Saito & Masked Samurai defeated Bob & Joe Marcus when Saito hit the Saito Suplex @ 8:00.

4. Tiger Jackson pinned Lord Littlebrook @ 7:24.

5. NWA Canadian Tag Team Champions "The Russian Bear" Ivan Koloff & Super Russian defeated Tony Garea & Tiger Conway Jr. @ 12:39 when Koloff pinned Conway with the flying knee.

6. The Fabulous Freebirds defeated Rocky Johnson, Leo Burke & Stephen Petipas @ 21:32 after a chair shot behind the referees back.

7. Wahoo McDaniel and Greg "The Hammer" Valentine fought to a double DQ @ 21:09.

8. NWA Canadian Champion Rick Martel made Cuban Assassin submit @ 12:32.

Maple Leaf Wrestling will return to Oshawa on August 20th.