Pro Wrestling Only

Often forgotten periods of a wrestlers career...

Sidebottom

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Union. Sid as a face after WrestleMania 13. Heel Mike Tenay. Sable's association with the Oddities.

When was it that WWE hired a bunch of '90s guys to wrestle dark matches? I remember D'Lo Brown being one of them, and I think that Too Cold Scorpio and one of the Godwinns were in that group, too.

Stephanie and Shane co running RAW in late 2008. Shane just sorta disappears and Steph is GM for a while. No one ever talks about this era. This all eventually led to the Orton legacy storyline and Trump bought the show and then we got actors running the show every week

The Union. Sid as a face after WrestleMania 13. Heel Mike Tenay. Sable's association with the Oddities.

When was it that WWE hired a bunch of '90s guys to wrestle dark matches? I remember D'Lo Brown being one of them, and I think that Too Cold Scorpio and one of the Godwinns were in that group, too.

Gangrel was hired for the new ECW but never made it out of OVW.

Godwin was hired but just worked dark matches tagging with Ray Gordy.

Scorpio unfortunately got saddled with the Flash Funk gimmick again and never made TV but he worked Helms on European tours. He made the Raw Reunion show in 2007 as Funk after he was released.

D-Lo actually made Raw and had a mini fued with IC Champ Santino before quietly getting released.

Tatanka of all people got a one and a half year run on Smackdown out of all these guys.

Just watched Pat Tanaka as "El Gato" in WCW at Great American Bash 96'. Pretty decent match considering the crowd is dead (at one point Konnan hits him with a powerbomb to the arena floor) and almost makes me wonder if the crowd would've been more enthused if they had just brought him out as Tanaka.

Recon & Sniper from The Truth Commission being called Apocalypse. Also Ron & Don Harris being called The Grimm Twins, Jason & Jarrod Grimm.

They once had a match against the Hardy Boyz on Superstars (who went by the name of The Jinx Brothers) in a period of the Hardy's career that is forgotten.

"Hollywood" Bob Holly in early SMW, portraying a movie star gimmick complete with shades, a mullet, a terrible mustache and a Bret Hart inspired pink singlet.

The antithesis of what he would later become.

Damn shame, too. A neon-wearing D-list actor called "Hollywood" Bob with a thick hick accent could have been all kinds of awesome.

Everything about that gimmick was glorious cheese. It's just too bad he didn't transition right over into the WWF with that. We didn't get to see a glimpse of that personality again until the Big Shot stuff and Crash.

All the Backlund talk on the board recently reminded me that Bob returned to "manage" Kurt Angle for about two weeks back in 2001. So there's that. Plus they were trying to have Kurt adopt the Chicken Wing as his submission finisher at that time, which THEN reminded me...

Of that time when they were trying to push the ankle lock as Batista's new submission finisher. I want to say it was around 2009 or so. It was definitely before the big heel turn against Rey, when it was just kind of dropped.

Terry Gordy getting like 2 months(?) in WWF in 1996 as The Executioner, and quickly being fed to The Undertaker then disappearing, as basically a small add-on to the Mankind vs. Undertaker rivalry.

How long did Brad Armstrong last as Arachnaman before Marvel threatened legal action against WCW and the gimmick was dropped?

Pez Whatley having at least one match in UWF-i is pretty goddamn random.

FMW had that weird little window where they had some sort of relationship with the WWF. Shawn Michaels did a guest referee spot, and they also ran a Vader vs. Ken Shamrock match.

"Hollywood" Bob Holly in early SMW, portraying a movie star gimmick complete with shades, a mullet, a terrible mustache and a Bret Hart inspired pink singlet.

The antithesis of what he would later become.

Damn shame, too. A neon-wearing D-list actor called "Hollywood" Bob with a thick hick accent could have been all kinds of awesome.

Everything about that gimmick was glorious cheese. It's just too bad he didn't transition right over into the WWF with that. We didn't get to see a glimpse of that personality again until the Big Shot stuff and Crash.

All the Backlund talk on the board recently reminded me that Bob returned to "manage" Kurt Angle for about two weeks back in 2001. So there's that. Plus they were trying to have Kurt adopt the Chicken Wing as his submission finisher at that time, which THEN reminded me...

Of that time when they were trying to push the ankle lock as Batista's new submission finisher. I want to say it was around 2009 or so. It was definitely before the big heel turn against Rey, when it was just kind of dropped.

Don't remember the ankle lock thing for Batista, but he did have a brief run using the clothesline as a finish. I think it was Jericho he KOed on RAW, and they kept it up for a few weeks in summer 2004 when he faced Edge and Jericho at Summerslam for the IC title.

The Executioner was cool just because at one point Dok Hendrix interviewed Paul Bearer, Mankind, and the Executioner. A Freebird reunion! And he even got a Jakks figure with that gimmick.