Pro Wrestling Only

NWA On Demand

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watched Al Perez vs. Dick Murdoch and it was a fun little short match. I'm too tired to watch anything longer right now but the JYD, Duggan, Tito Santana vs. Butch Reed, Volkoff & Darsow 6 man tag is going to be the first thing I watch tomorrow.

Here's a workaround for people noy able to get Harley vs Andre to play.

Ackerman click on Flair vs Wahoo let it start playing. Hit the discover tag it will give you about 5 matches including another Flair/Wahoo not listed but their is another thumbnail 4 Andre/Race click on it and it plays

Quick and dirty thoughts from what I've seen:

- Andre vs. Tank Patton is a fun little bout centering around Patton's loaded cast. Andre doesn't do much that's new, but he's still mobile and works smart, and the big payback spot at the end is cringe-worthy.

- I have new respect for Gino Hernandez as an in-ring worker. I didn't really like him at all on the World Class set, but he actually managed to drag a decent match out of Ox Baker through bumping, selling, running, and sheer willpower. If he can do the same to Ivan Putski he'll be a true miracle man.

- Want to see others' thoughts on Lothario & Mascaras vs. the Funks. It's 2/3 falls and 25+ minutes. It's not one of the true high-end Funk tags but I still thought it was really good. Jose's already past his prime in 1979 but he does throw awesome punches and knows how to sell. Mascaras actually works a short FIP segment, which is amazing in and of itself.

I loved the Andre/Race match. It was so smartly worked, and told a basic story. Both guys were real good here. The finishes and big moments throughout the match were built to really well. Even the little things like Andre leaning on Race was just good storytelling. In the 4 1/4*

Pretty sure Landel/Ito-R&R is new/

Thoughts so far:

Gino Hernandez vs. Jose Lothario (Fence Match/Texas Death Cage Match/Whatever): I'd seen this before (it aired on Boesch's Best of Texas Wrestling show on SPN/Tempo in the early '80s so it was in circulation but not widely seen or pimped) and remembered really enjoying it but not quite as much as I loved it this time. It's a really good use of Lothario as he's clearly past his prime but the match is one where he can get by with what he's still great at: Punches, selling, and shining. Makes me want to see more actual Texas Death Matches from Texas because I feel like something was lost in translation in other territories There are multiple spots where Gino looks close like a valiant babyface for beating the count and while it works in context, I feel like it would be a little less disconcerting if I was more familiar with what these fans expected of a Texas Death Match. Awesome finish with Lothario getting too greedy neck cranking Gino from a front headlock and getting crotched on the top turnbuckle. It was the one spot where it looked like no human man could have answered the count for the next fall. Go watch this.

Terry Funk & Dory Funk Jr. vs. Jose Lothario & Mil Mascaras: So this popped up in the suggested matches, I had been looking forward to it anyway, and I was in the mood for more Lothario, so I watched it next. I'm not at all with Pete on this one as this is super disappointing and not just relative to how great it looked on paper. This was just super listless except for the occasional brief exchange like Terry and Lothario brawling. The Mil-Funks matwork was much, much lazier than you'd expect even though Mil isn't working AJPW. You'd think Mil would let the Funks have more than he gives them. At least I saw Lothario wrestling with hair for the first time in my life, but this was not the best use of half an hour.

"Terry Funk vs. Wahoo McDaniel" (Actually Terry Funk vs. Wahoo McDaniel and Wahoo McDaniel vs. Gino Hernandez): So the match does actually happen, but it's about three minutes long. Great while it lasted with an awesome pre-match and finish, but still, this was maybe the most exciting match on paper so I was annoyed, even if it wasn't at Bruce Tharpe or anything like that. So then Gino Hernandez comes out and this is either a triangle match of some kind or we went from the semis to the finals of a tournament, and it's for a shot at Harley Race's NWA title. And good lord, Wahoo-Gino was fantastic. Amazing intensity, great heat, super selling, brutal chops from Wahoo, great use of blood for drama...this is just a tremendous hidden gem. Gino is my new favorite wrestler, I want to see a lot more, and I'm angry he had a rep for not being very good.

Ric Flair vs. Wahoo McDaniel (the one that's not the rematch): It's been so long since I've watched Monsters of the Mat or the Mid-South set that I can't remember which of these I've seen (this one also has new commentary since ostensibly it didn't air at the time, can't remember if the Monsters of the Mat match had any). But anyway, this is tremendous. Really super fast paced and non-formulaic for a Flair touring title match, exactly the type of violent battle you want from these two. Will get to the rematch soon enough but I loved this. Wish we had these two beating the hell out of each other in the Carolinas.

Harley Race vs. Andre the Giant: Of the new matches we knew about in advance, this has been getting the most attention by far. We knew it would be at least a fun, interesting spectacle but how good it would actually be we had no idea. Well, it's awesome. All of the best Andre matches by reputation are with him as a heel (usually in Japan, but also the twilight stuff where he carries his end with facials and mannerisms), but this is a great match with babyface Andre. He actually works holds better than anyone did in that disappointing tag match and the match is never remotely boring even though it's Andre going half an hour.

Tons of cool memorable spots.

Love Harley hitting the falling headbutt and selling it like he hit The Rock. Every big move sounds like a gun went off. The first fall finish is just awesome, as Harley manages to slam Andre on the floor, which looks and sounds nasty. He gets counted out and barely answers the bell for the second fall. Harley works over Andre's back and even puts him in a bearhug. Somehow, it works, and eventually leads to Andre body scissoring him, turning him over, and pounding him. Awesome looking splash wins the second fall for Andre.

Finish was lame but it's not like we had any reason to expect a real finish in this match. Considerably better than I even hoped for, it's a crazy dream match and you come for the star power but the work was great, too.

I've gotten my ~$10 worth already.

Of the 40 matches I say at least 10 matches have never been seen.

I think it is more then that, I have watched five matches so far, pretty sure

Harley Race v. Andre

Wahoo McDaniel v. Terry Funk/Gino Hernandez

Bull Ramos v. Nick Kozak

Guerreros v. Dr. Death/DiBiase Bandelleros Death Match

Are all new, lots more stuff on there which I am pretty sure is previously unavailable, I am guessing it is closer to 50/50 new stuff and previously out there stuff.

Looks like by looking at the DVDVR Mid-South set, the 7/12 match was the match on Monsters of the Mat, so I guess the rematch was previously unavailable

The 2nd one is what we have on the set. So either Tharpe has his dates wrong or the Mid-South set date is wrong.

Oh, I also watched the 2 Ring Battle Royal last night. I was really wanting to come in here and pimp it last night but it wasn't that good. It was shot really well, probably the best job of shooting a 2 Ring Battle Royal I have ever seen. But it lacked any real drama at the end which left me feeling pretty disappointed with it.

The Buddy Landell vs Butch Reed shoe shine match wasn't much,Now the post match was tremendous fun and made me pop.I think the date on this is 12/7/84.

This is the card it's from. I think or the 2nd, and the 2nd one is more likely.

12-7-84 Houston
Ernie Ladd beat Magnum TA (Cage match), Ted Dibiase & Hercules Hernandez beat Rock
& Roll Express, Hacksaw Duggan beat Steve Williams, Butch Reed def. Buddy Landell,
Terry Taylor beat Adrian Street, Hector & Chavo Guerrero beat Jose Lothario &
Shawn Michaels, Tim Horner beat Dale Veasey, Pvt. Terry Daniels beat Jack Victory

12/27/84 Houston

Butch Reed won a 2 ring battle royal, Hacksaw Duggan & Rock & Roll Express beat
Ted Dibiase & Steve Williams & Hercules Hernandez, Butch Reed beat Buddy Landell,
Kerry Von Erich beat Gino Hernandez, Brad Armstrong beat Ernie Ladd, Kamala beat
Billy Jack Haynes, Hector & Chavo Guerrero beat Jose Lothario & Terry Taylor, Iceman
King Parsons beat Jack Victory, Terry Daniels beat Dale Veasey, Tim Horner beat Rip
Oliver

I figured the Bandaleros Death Match was the Mexican Death Match we have from Power Pro since they use the bandaleros heavily in that. Interesting to see that it's another new match.

Before I go to sleep:

Dusty Rhodes vs. Mark Lewin (Brass Knuckles Title): Holy shit this was violent. Throwing each other into tables, Dusty putting everything into his punches, blood flowing within seconds, brawling into the crowd and aisle, just total madness. Unlike Wahoo-Funk I had no problem with this having a short, abrupt ending, as the one here was awesome and a perfect fit: They're fighting on the apron, get tangled in the ropes, and Dusty Bionic Elbows Lewin right in the soft spot in the back of the fucking head. He's knocked silly, Dusty drops an elbow for good measure, and it's academic. Wild, crazy sprint of a brawl and definitely a must-see.

The Champion/The Nightmare/FFS It's Moondog Rex Under a Mask vs. The Man That The Ring Announcer Repeatedly Called"Captain Redneck, Big Dick Murdoch" (non-title match): Is this the match on the DVDVR set? Because I thought that was the title change but this has the same punch spot with the referee we all loved. This is all Murdoch and as such it's a lot of fun. Really not sure if this is new, but it's all action and well worth watching regardless.

I just watched Kamala & Kareem Muhammed vs. Jim Duggan & Bill Watts. It was really nothing at all but it was a fun way to spend 5 minutes and the post match has a really funny fan moment. There is this big tall guy in the crowd who is waving this orange trucker hat at Duggan for a long time and finally the fan tosses the hat into the ring and Duggan puts it on. At which point this grown man starts going nuts high fiveing his buddy and celebrating.

• Loss unpinned this topic