• Please log in to reply
2325 replies to this topic

#41 Grimmas

Grimmas

a Wrestling Feminist

• Members
  • 7728 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 03:45 PM

A couple of days late to the party but Andre vs Race felt epic. I wonder if it was one of those matches that people in the arena talked about for months, but that has been lost in time. The only thing that I have watched so far is that and the Dixon vs Von Erich stills with the terrible Boesch commentary.

Maybe it's because I'm in the UK and the servers are in the US, but the player started and stopped several times. It's annoying because when it stops, it dies, and I need to rewind or ffwd a few seconds to get it to restart. If this is a common occurrence I may have to think about unsubscribing.

They added in an extra pound (a dollar and a half) on taxes as I'm in the UK but still feels like good value.

Now I'm at that point in time when I may be in "I have too many streaming services" territory:

WWE Network: about 11 USD (incl. taxes) but hard to unsubscribe when the library is so large.

UFC TV: I paid for the entire year when they had their Xmas promotion. I think it works out at about 7 USD a month.

NJPW World: about 9 USD after forex fees have been accounted. Addition of new "old" footage has been almost non existent, and I don't particularly care about their new stuff, so this may be the one to go... but lately I have been using it quite a bit.

NWA Classics: about 10 USD.

Let's see how Classics does - Tharpe mentioned they have footage to keep going on for years and at this point it covers a gap that the WWE Network should (but doesn't) provide.

CZW and Smash both have streaming services too.

#42 pantherwagner

pantherwagner
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 1192 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 04:08 PM

A couple of days late to the party but Andre vs Race felt epic. I wonder if it was one of those matches that people in the arena talked about for months, but that has been lost in time. The only thing that I have watched so far is that and the Dixon vs Von Erich stills with the terrible Boesch commentary.

Maybe it's because I'm in the UK and the servers are in the US, but the player started and stopped several times. It's annoying because when it stops, it dies, and I need to rewind or ffwd a few seconds to get it to restart. If this is a common occurrence I may have to think about unsubscribing.

They added in an extra pound (a dollar and a half) on taxes as I'm in the UK but still feels like good value.

Now I'm at that point in time when I may be in "I have too many streaming services" territory:

WWE Network: about 11 USD (incl. taxes) but hard to unsubscribe when the library is so large.

UFC TV: I paid for the entire year when they had their Xmas promotion. I think it works out at about 7 USD a month.

NJPW World: about 9 USD after forex fees have been accounted. Addition of new "old" footage has been almost non existent, and I don't particularly care about their new stuff, so this may be the one to go... but lately I have been using it quite a bit.

NWA Classics: about 10 USD.

Let's see how Classics does - Tharpe mentioned they have footage to keep going on for years and at this point it covers a gap that the WWE Network should (but doesn't) provide.

CZW and Smash both have streaming services too.

I have no interest in those, though - I only mentioned the ones I am paying for.

However it's interesting that now there are a lot of players competing for our dollars... at some point some of those services may have to merge or cease to exist. There may be soon an oversaturation of the already thin indy market and the bar of what we are supposed to pay has been lowered time and time again.

#43 Bix

Bix
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 6237 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 04:54 PM

They added a bunch of Osaka Castle Hall matches in anticipation of the return show this past weekend and the batch included the Liger-Sano match from 9/89 that we never had complete before. So that's something.

#44 dawho5

dawho5
  • Members
  • 2500 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 04:59 PM

I am liking NXT less and less and I can see myself unsubscribing to the Network after I hit all the stuff I want to.  If Mania next year has the lineup I expect instead of Reigns vs. Lesnar 2 and NXT continues to go downhill I'm not sure it takes a long, long time.  I'd miss the Becky Lynch and Sasha stuff as well as the Vaudevillains, Itami when he returns and Breeze, but I am finding more and more that modern wrestling goes away from a lot of the things I value in wrestling.   NWA Classics seems a lot more up my alley in terms of the wrestling they have available, especially if they start putting together full cards and footage from feuds that my not have been available before. 

#45 Grimmas

Grimmas

a Wrestling Feminist

• Members
  • 7728 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 06:24 PM

As for companies teaming up I found out that CZW and Smash share the site service. Wouldn't take any effort to over a discount if you have both.

#46 shoe

shoe
  • Moderators
  • 9061 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 02:35 AM

I have no idea if Landell/Ito vs. RNR Express was already available but it was a pretty fun little match. I really kind of liked Landell & Ito as a team.

I just watched this and thought the same thing. This was formula Rock N Roll, but the heels especially Landell really enhanced the formula. Both guys were great at stooging. Landell had a great rope running spot. Landell's sell job of  Ito's headbutt was gold.This looks to be new.3*

Here's the card it's from

5-25-84 Houston
Hacksaw Duggan & Terry Taylor beat Butch Reed & Krusher Darsow (Texas Tornado Barbed 
Wire match), Magnum TA beat Mr Wrestling II, Hector Guerrero no contest Jose Lothario,
Rock & Roll Express beat Buddy Landell & Masao Ito, Barry Orton beat Lanny Poffo, Mark 
Ragin beat Pat Rose, Tony Torres beat John King

#47 goc

goc

A disgrace to Joe Blanchard

• Members
  • 7360 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 02:46 AM

Well the Barry Orton/Poffo match & the Mark Ragin vs. Pat Rose match are both up so hopefully we'll get that awesome sounding main event and the other two matches. I would really love to see a full Magnum TA vs. Mr Wrestling II match.

#48 shoe

shoe
  • Moderators
  • 9061 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 04:33 AM

Kerry Von Erich vs Gino Hernandez  12/27/84

This was a really good match.In some earlier Gino we saw this opportunistic young punk who wasn't afraid to throw hands. Here he's morphed into this charismatic, big bumping, stooging  heel who's a heat magnet. This was 2 rings and they used them. Gino did some cat and mouse spots. It was a fun back and forth bout. By the end Keryy's bleeding. 3 1/4* I think this might be new.

This is the card it's from.

12/27/84 Houston
Butch Reed won a 2 ring battle royal, Hacksaw Duggan & Rock & Roll Express beat 
Ted Dibiase & Steve Williams & Hercules Hernandez, Butch Reed beat Buddy Landell,
Kerry Von Erich beat Gino Hernandez, Brad Armstrong beat Ernie Ladd, Kamala beat 
Billy Jack Haynes, Hector & Chavo Guerrero beat Jose Lothario & Terry Taylor, Iceman 
King Parsons beat Jack Victory, Terry Daniels beat Dale Veasey, Tim Horner beat Rip 
Oliver

#49 shoe

shoe
  • Moderators
  • 9061 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 04:43 AM

By looking at things, and to make it easy for them to remember what's uploaded. I wouldn't be surprised to see full cards up every 3 months. For example ,the whole 1/7/79 card has been uploaded. 4 of the 10 matches from 12/27/84 has been uploaded.Half of the 1/6/81 card has been uploaded. This is just speculation on my part.

#50 Zoo Enthusiast

Zoo Enthusiast
  • Members
  • 1128 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 06:30 AM

They added a bunch of Osaka Castle Hall matches in anticipation of the return show this past weekend and the batch included the Liger-Sano match from 9/89 that we never had complete before. So that's something.
When are they going to add an English menu? I thought that was something they were going to offer. I'd probably sub if they do, but I just don't like NJPW enough to sub at this point with them not having set-top apps or English menus.

And no, I don't want a fucking Chromecast.

#51 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 10166 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 06:40 AM

I wasn't quite as high on Dusty vs Lewin as others. I thought the first half was excellent, everything to the point that Dusty came back out to the floor to fight back. Even that moment was good but I didn't feel Dusty's comeback and the finish, in a brass knuckles championship match, was really dumb to me. Why was the ref stopping Lewin? That said, the execution of the elbow from the apron in was awesome. 

I enjoyed Guerreros/Landell vs Lothario/RnR quite a bit. I thought it was balanced well, that the heels played into the shine like champs. The ring positioning on the heat on Morton was good. Tons of attitude from the heels. And I liked the chaotic finish where it looked like the Guerreros were going to take it. I could have used a bit more Landell. They were keeping him away from Lothario to start but that really stopped mattering as the match went on.

#52 PhilTLL

PhilTLL
  • Members
  • 574 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:42 AM

Is a chromecast worth purchasing? Somebody give me the nuts and bolts on how it works. 

Chromecast is a little thumb drive size thing that connects to an HDMI port (and USB or AC power) and receives streams that you "throw" from other devices like Android and Chromebook. For example you pick a show on Netflix using your phone, then you click that little window icon and share it to the Chromecast (as opposed to something like Roku, which has its own apps and remote control).

#53 W2BTD

W2BTD
  • Members
  • 852 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:45 AM

I can't help you with the recording question, but I can tell you that the Chromecast is a very hit or miss product, especially depending on your WiFi/home network setup. The device can not be hardwired, so you are at the mercy of your wifi. Plus the Chromecast itself is a very temperamental device that randomly will lose connection even when picking up a strong signal. 

I don't have a great network setup and my internet speed is sketchy sometimes, but even when I get desperate and put the router literally inches from the Chromecast to get it to function, the picture itself is still a little choppy and never smooth.

Check out the public reviews on various sites, they are all over the board. People either hate the thing or absolutely love it. Mine collects dusts. Can't get it to work, and doesn't work well even when I do.

#54 goodhelmet

goodhelmet
  • Admins
  • 18951 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:49 AM

Thanks for the info guys! 

#55 shoe

shoe
  • Moderators
  • 9061 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 12:38 PM

Ric Flair vs Wahoo McDaniel 7/12/85

I believe this has never been seen. This was just a battle. The announcing put their history together so it made sense for this World Title Match to seem more personal. This was gritty. Both guys with brutal chops. Flair's 1st sell of the job was tremendous. His whole body gyrated from the force. Wahoo is 1st to bleed. Not to be outdone, Wahoo takes a bite out of Flair's forehead and spits the plasma out and Flair's bleeding. That was disgusting. I loved this match. A perfect example of non formula Flair. Their wasn't long heat and shine segments. This was just a fight. 4 1/4*

This was the card it was on.

7-12-85 Houston
NWA champion Ric Flair beat Wahoo Mcdaniel dq, The Guerreros beat Ted Dibiase 
& Steve Williams, Hacksaw Duggan beat Kamala COR, Fantastics beat Dutch Mantell 
& Tom Prichard, Ray Candy beat Frankie Lane, Al Perez beat Larry Higgins, Olapido 
beat Carl Stiles

#56 shoe

shoe
  • Moderators
  • 9061 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 02:25 PM

Jake Roberts/Duggan vs Nightmare/Lord Humongous 10/11/85

Jake was the star of the match. We don't get a finish. Jake was great at the start with teasing the DDT, he was great as FIP. He was a great rag doll gaining tons of sympathy. It was great watching him punching the mask of Humongous. Then selling the damage to his hand. Totally dug the eye poke to get seperation,      

The card it was on

10-11-85 Houston
Butch Reed beat NWA Champion Ric Flair dq, Hacksaw Duggan & Jake Roberts beat 
Humongous & The Nightmare, Ted Dibiase beat Bob Sweetan (Taped Fist match), Dick 
Murdoch beat Al Perez, Hector Guerrero beat Steve Williams, Fantastics beat Dutch 
Mantell & Eddie Gilbert, Dick Slater beat Steve Constance, Wendell Cooley beat El 
Casario

#57 goc

goc

• Members
  • 7360 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 03:02 PM

I bet Steve Constance took a real beating that night.

#58 shoe

shoe
  • Moderators
  • 9061 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 03:11 PM

Magnum TA vs Butch Reed 8/31/84

I think this is another one that has never aired. This was for the NA Title that TA holds. Ernie Ladd is in Reed's corner. Sonny King was the original ref but Ladd complains and it turns into Lothario. This was a pretty basic match. TA gets the shine early. He works the arm with some basic work. Reed gets heat by working TA's neck. Reed's big cut off was a nasty knee to the stomach. They build to a comeback. Belly 2 Belly and a ref bump. Foreign objects, and a ref reversal. 2*

This is the card it was on.

8-31-84 Houston
Magnum TA beat Butch Reed, Hacksaw Duggan beat Hercules Hernandez (Coal Miner's 
Glove match), Terry Taylor beat Steve Williams, The Fantastics beat Midnight Express,
Sonny King beat Buddy Landell, Jose Lothario beat Krusher Darsow dq, Ernie Ladd beat 
Art Crews, Adrian Street beat Rick Mccord, Brickhouse Brown beat Hans Schroder

#59 goc

goc

• Members
  • 7360 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 03:17 PM

I also watched that the other day and I bet that felt like a pretty flat main event in the building after some of that undercard. I think I've watched all the Butch Reed stuff now except for the 6 man tag I said I was going to watch 3 days ago...

#60 sek69

sek69

Winnipeg Arena's gonna be on fire

• Members
  • 10272 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 05:50 PM

So from what's available, has anything come up to disprove my theory that Mil Mascaras is like an inverse Hulk Hogan in terms of effort put forth outside his home country? 95% of the US based matches I've seen him in were underwhelming and probably most of his quality Mexico stuff was in the era before footage was widely available.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users