Pro Wrestling Only

[1985-12-27-Houston Wrestling] Jim Duggan vs Buzz Sawyer (Dog Collar)

Superstar Sleeze

Hacksaw Duggan vs Buzz Sawyer - Mid-South 12/27/85 Dog Collar Match

Due to the out of control nature of the previous match and Buzz Sawyer's moniker of Mad Dog, it was only logical that they would have a Dog Collar match. I liked the dog collar posturing from Buzz Sawyer early only to have him running after Duggan balls up the chain and gives him a good thwacking and he realizes there is nowhere to run. Again, an argument with the ref is Duggan's downfall as Sawyer comes rushing in with the chain. He rakes the chain across the forehead as the crowd chants for Duggan. Sawyer is raking the chain across the open wound in a gnarly moment. Now Duggan cant get away from Sawyer and finally Duggan just lets out this bellow that is so primal and horrific wearing the crimson mask. He opens up a can of Lawler-esque whoop-ass. Duggan hits a clothesline and is so proud of himself gives the crowd the thumbs up! LOL! I love the 80s! Buzz tries to run, but the chain restrains and Duggan is taking so much glee in tormenting the Mad Dog. Is he taking too much joy in this beating? Duggan looks to drag him back in from the outside where he is beating his ass, but Buzz in desperation clobbers him with a chair to win the match in a shocker. Duggan was absolutely dominating, but definitely needed to put Sawyer away earlier he lost sight in his bloodlust, which is a great story. Buzz Sawyer just looking to survive hits him with a chair wins and gets the hell out of Dodge. Neither here nor there in terms of rating the match,. but the commentator sounded like he was narrating a golf tournament and dude he was bringing me down! Excellent brawl not at the level of their crazy brawl, but still a definite Mid-South classic. ****1/2

• 1 year later...

This is a dog collar match and it's a fight. They're brawling in the ring, outside the ring. Big chain shots. One of my favorite spots is when Duggan is about to make a come back and Sawyer cuts him off with a chain right into Duggan's cut. A very nasty spot. Both guys are a bloody mess. The crowd is taken aback by the violence that it takes a bit for them to start rallying for Duggan. The chain shots to the body were great and you could believe Sawyer was internal bleeding. The finish was violent to a violent match. 4*

• 9 months later...

Yeah, this was a really great violent and intense match. I'm with you on the commentary, I thought it was really bland. If JR had been calling this thing, I think it would be even more remembered by some. He even mentioned that the fans were sitting and he didn't feel like chanting Duggan, then he said, "I guess they are ready for him to comeback now" or something like that. Not good. Anyway, I loved the action and thought it was great follow-up to the previous classic. Sawyer really sold the beating well and yes, great story of Duggan getting lost in the beatdown only to lose to chair shot.

• GSR changed the title to [1985-12-27-Houston Wrestling] Jim Duggan vs Buzz Sawyer (Dog Collar)
  • 3 years later...

This match had great punches, creative uses of the chain, and a hell of a lot of blood. Duggan knows how to sell like a big man, bellowing like a wounded lion and staggering all over the place so that even people in the cheap seats could get a look at him and get behind his eventual comeback. Speaking of comebacks, Duggan's one here was magnificent. He would no-sell Sawyer's chain shots and power up and pummel Sawyer into the corner with rage. Sawyer was also great here, putting on a fantastic cowardly heel performance. Man, this made me want to live in an alternate reality where this is the Jim Duggan we got when he went to WWF. The guy could have been a babyface that could rival Hogan's popularity.★★★★