Pro Wrestling Only

[1988-08-29-WWF-Summerslam '88] Demolition vs Hart Foundation

Grimmas

I haven't seen this match in years, but I'm going through old SummerSlams and this was a huge surprise.

This is the period where Jimmy Hart left the Harts and was giving information to Fuji and Demolition before this match, so Demos have Fuji and Hart in their corner. It pays off well at the beginning, because Demolition ends the shine sequence the way the Hart Foundation always used to with the kick in the back while the opponent is running the ropes.

After the first face in peril, we get a second where Demolition whips Bret face first into the turnbuckle busting the cane in half and Bret hitting the post as well. Demolition than become the Andersons and destroy Bret's shoulder with submissions, punches and slams. It's really a great face in peril beat down.

Bret finally makes a hot tag, after some fun teases, and Neidhart is a great hot tag just hitting dropkicks and slams and then a freaking assisted slingshot plancha! Holy shit. There are some real nice nearfalls for the Harts, but a distraction and a mega phone shot gives Demolition the win.

I LOVED THIS! It told a great story and used the storylines coming into the match. Both teams looked great.

There's a lot to love about this match. It's so, so much better than the Summerslam 1990 match. In context it's even better than that. Between the stage and the rare match with the Hart Foundation, Demolition really sell for them and make them feel like a threat. I think it's the first time chronologically that Ax begged off and he did it because Bret was presented as something more at the time and because the moment warranted it. It's part of the versatility argument. i'm sure I'll have more to say later.

• 4 months later...

WWF Tag Champs Demolition w/Jimmy Hart & Mr. Fuji vs Hart Foundation - Summerslam '88

This is a battle between the two best in-ring generals of the WWF Tag Division: Ax & Bret. However, Bret proves that his will is indomitable and this is most definitely a Hart Foundation match. Demolition's trademarks of their opponents needing to double up, their early strength advantage, aimless beatdowns are nowhere to be found. Instead they are replaced by Bret and Anvil having their way with Demolition until Bret runs his shoulder into the post giving Demolition a focused attack.

The beginning of the match is only interesting insofar that it sets the mood that the Hart Foundation is in control and the Demolition have no strength advantage. Anvil eats a knee while running the ropes ala the heel Hart Foundation. That is a short heat segment, before Bret's shoulder eats the post. Bret is a great sympathetic face in peril as the Demolition is relentless on his shoulder. This is the best Demolition control segment so far because their focused attack and being very active in it. Bret gets a clothesline for the false hot tag and then a boot to the face on a charge. Anvil is hot tonight! He dropkicks and slams Demolition at will clearing them from the ring. In my favorite spot of the match, Bret slingshots Anvil over the top rope onto Demolition on the floor. Anvil gets a running powerslam for 2. They do the Anvil slingshot into the corner and that only gets 2. A Bret backbreaker gets 2 and Ax saves. Fuji is on the apron and takes about 7 Anvil blows without flinching until Ax can finally hit Bret with Hart's megaphone. Way to make Anvil look like a chump, Fuji.

Besides Fuji no-selling all of Anvil's punches, this was way better than I expected because I always thought Summerslam '90 match kinda sucked. The beginning could have been helped by using some of Eadie's touches. It was a blase shine, but the heat segments and the finish run was great. However, the heat segment and the stretch were all very entertaining and worked well. So far this was the Anvil's best performance. In a very weak in-ring year for the WWF, this is a match of the year contender. ****

• 2 years later...

People seem to forget that Jim Neidhart was just as good as Bret when they were a tag unit. This was babyface Hart Foundation by the numbers and it's predictably good stuff. Bret gets worked over and Neidhart gets the tag and clears house. Judging by the crowd reaction Neidhart got during this, you would think he would be the one to be the breakout megastar of his team. The Hart Foundation get some convincing nearfalls from some innovative double-team moves, including one where Bret slingshotted Anvil from the inside the ring to outside onto his opponent.  Fun match, with a good finish which sees Jimmy Hart using his megaphone to score the victory for his team. ★★★¼