Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestling board games

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the results of the tournament I ran. Dijak got upset in the early goings. Adam Page is surprisingly tough. Moose had a tough road through the tournament. He survived Mr. Touchdown hitting the Extra Point twice and Uhaa Nation really had him on the ropes. But Moose came through and is the winner. Storyline wise there was $50,000 and a shot at the TV Title on the line. ACH is my current champ.

Round 1:
Donovan Dijak d. Ricky Stark
Pretty Peter Avalon d. Shane Hollister
Uhaa Nation d. Jaka
Juan Francisco De Coronado d. QT Marshall
Adam Page d. Dalton Castle
Mr. Touchdown d. The Hobo
Chris Dickinson d. Shynron
Moose d. Steve O'Reno
Quarter-Finals:
Pretty Peter Avalon d. Donovan Dijak
Uhaa Nation d. Juan Francisco De Coronado
Mr. Touchdown d. Adam Page
Moose
Semi-Finals:
Uhaa Nation d. Pretty Peter Avalon
Moose d. Mr. Touchdown
Final:
Moose d. Uhaa Nation

I've played Filsinger's Champions of the Galaxy since its' inception in 1986. I've been involved with the wrestling stats side of Legends of Wrestling since the first set. I know of one other board member not mentioned so far, but that's for him to share. I haven't actively played in over 10 years, but I enjoy being involved on the creative side.

I think the game Winged Eagle is mentioning is the Superstar Pro Wrestling Game. It came out of New York in the early 80s through 1988, when the NWA edition was the last to be released. They originally did full sheets of paper with wrestlers names on it. As legal issues began, they moved to cardstock half sheets for the wrestler cards. At first, they used goofy names like "Nikita Kooloff" and "Terry the Tailor", then they left the names blank so "you and your friends can become wrestlers". Based on the movesets, it was pretty easy to figure out who was who. Their last set was a NWA set with pictures of Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, Dusty Rhodes, etc., so they must have struck up some agreement with JCP. I've never found a big online presence for SPW, aside from a few articles on Board Game Geek and a computer simulation. I played it religiously before the Filsinger products, and I still have all of my sets.

That's the one! LOVED that. Would play that for hours. That NWA edition was incredible fun for this guy as an 8 year old.

I should add, PeteF3 just put out a great JCP bootleg set last week you can use with Filsinger Games. You should give it a look.

http://filsingergames.proboards.com/thread/15498/presenting-legends-jim-crockett-promotions

In addition, I'm beginning to work on a Memphis year by year set, starting when Jarrett broke off from Gulas in March of 77 until Jarrett formed the USWA. A LOT of work with research, wrestling stats, doing the art for the sets...so even if you arent a fan of the actual game, but Memphis rasslin, check it out when I finish.

Great to hear more support for the year-by-year bootleg sets--Chad and Tim are working on doing the same for the AWA. I'd eventually like to see one for as many conceivable promotions as possible. Memphis in particular sounds like a beast to tackle--just trying to re-create Tim's '77 WWWF set with Crockett was a different animal because of the greater turnover and amount of "stuff" happening.

Great to hear more support for the year-by-year bootleg sets--Chad and Tim are working on doing the same for the AWA. I'd eventually like to see one for as many conceivable promotions as possible. Memphis in particular sounds like a beast to tackle--just trying to re-create Tim's '77 WWWF set with Crockett was a different animal because of the greater turnover and amount of "stuff" happening.

That's why I am trying to do it in six month intervals instead of a year. I agree, a yearly one is tough to tackle

I just posted a little teaser on the Filsinger Games board about the AWA set. Trying to determine if I start with 1980 or 1981. I'm leaning towards 1981 when Verne retires, but there's not a ton of turnover between 81/82 and 83, so I might start with 1980 so you can have a Verne LOW card for about a year and a half.

With the AWA, they ran less frequently than other promotions, so it's a little easier to review the results. I agree that Memphis will be a tough project, but I'm sure you'll do an awesome job, UKW.

• 2 weeks later...

I just posted a little teaser on the Filsinger Games board about the AWA set. Trying to determine if I start with 1980 or 1981. I'm leaning towards 1981 when Verne retires, but there's not a ton of turnover between 81/82 and 83, so I might start with 1980 so you can have a Verne LOW card for about a year and a half.

With the AWA, they ran less frequently than other promotions, so it's a little easier to review the results. I agree that Memphis will be a tough project, but I'm sure you'll do an awesome job, UKW.

Can't wait to see the AWA stuff CO.

I'm redoing a bunch of art. Just did Lawler, Dundee, Rich, Lance & Dave. I'll post them here, maybe if anyone is interested, send them an early teaser set for the Memphis stuff. May turn them on to Toms official stuff

So, since a few people have seen this, I thought I'd throw this out.

There are a lot of Memphis fans on the board (who love old school stuff). I also think Filsinger Games has the best wrestling product out there and if given the chance, many old school Wrestling fans may like.

Like I said in a previous post: I'm putting out a "bootleg" set which chronicles Memphis history beginning when Jarrett broke away from Gulas in March of 77.

I'm doing the stats, art on all of them. So I'll throw this out because I believe in the Filsinger Legends product: the first five people that sends me a message, I'll send them a preview copy of the Memphis legends bootlegs set I'm working on...free of charge. Yep, free.

That'll include Jerry Lawler, Plowboy Frazier, The Bicentennial Kings (Phil Hickerson & Dennis Condrey), Leroy Brown, Porkchop Cash, Bill Dundee, Tommy Rich, Bob Armstrong, Rick & Robert Gibson and Rocky Johnson.

You know, what the hell...I'm feeling generous, so I'll throw in a Jerry Jarrett commissioner card and a Lance Russell/Dave Brown announcer card.

All free, so you can't beat that.

If you want a sneak peak at some of the art:

http://filsingergames.proboards.com/thread/15528/history-memphis-1977-1989?page=2&scrollTo=204003

I prefer the Filsinger Games Legends of Wrestling. You can do mishmash teams, six man's, etc. It's a much more flexible system for booking. The biggest disadvantage is they only release guys that sign up for it. So some guys have said no. With that said they do have some absolutely huge names in the game.

Wrestling's Finest feels more like wrestling. There can be some absolute drama in the matches and guys tend to feel like themselves. Stan Hansen feels like he's just mauling guys in there. It doesn't have the flexibility. Tag teams are pre-made and the system is complicated so you can't bootleg guys or teams you would want.

With Filsinger you can bootleg really balanced cards as you learn the system.

I'd go Filsinger then Wrestling's Finest. I prefer the flexibility at the expense of the feel of the game.

Filsinger's Indy games are amazing. They literally have almost every big indy name out there. If that's your thing it's a good avenue to explore.

For some reason I'm on a wrestling simulator kick this weekend......

I remembered having a PC wrestling simulator called TNM back in the late 90s. I googled it, and whaddyaknow, it's still around! But Jesus Christ, for TNM7 and all the plugins, it's $65. Yes, $65! When I had TNM back in the day, I think it might have been free....

The website also appears to have last been updated in 2012, so I wonder if the sim makers even support the product any more. I also couldn't find an email address for customer support to inquire about a demo or trial period.

I wasted a good chunk of time on TNM back in the day. Interesting to see that the product is still out there.