Pro Wrestling Only

Undertaker and Sting to work Summerslam

Strummer

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone really cares at this point ? Taker has been glue factory material for at least two or three years now. Sting… well… This is some "dream match" from fifteen eighteen (edit : forgot we are in 2015) years ago. If SummerSlam gets the Mania treatment of nostalgia matches with old fucks who can't work anymore, this is no good. Yeah, I'm not grumpy at all, but really… It's like announcing Blackjack Muligan vs Bruno Sammartino for SummerSlam 91 or something.

The dumbest thing ever was to retire a perfectly healthy Michaels to build up the streak. If that wasn't dumb enough, they killed the streak and jobbed Taker to Lesnar. Now they expect people to care about a guy who has looked like ass for years?

What? Shawn Michaels WANTED to retire. That was his idea. He was going to be finished wrestling either way.

As long as they give Sting a WWE win, I'm fine with it. Taker at Summerslam is interesting. The Nation is going to have 1 hell of a time at Summerslam, that the Nation should do a simulcast reaction show. Will and his crew from the watching perspective and a few members of the Nation who were there for the live perspective.

Summerslam feels totally up in the air right now. I'm going to it live and have been wondering what it's gonna be for months now, with not much certainty in sight prior to this Sunday. Battleground and the next night’s RAW feels like it should reshuffle the deck and put a lot of people into new feuds with a five week build prior to SS. But I could also see them using the show to blow off certain things that are already getting stale (Reigns-Wyatt, Rollins-Authority, Rusev-Ziggler, New Day-PTP).

Alvarez was also cryptically predicting that a guy who “hasn’t been gone from the company but also hasn’t been on TV” will interfere in the main event. Only he made it sound like it wouldn’t be Taker? So maybe Sting, to continue the idea of him as vigilante who’s always getting in the Authority’s way? Still, seems odd that you’d have two gothic guys with the same gimmick both do run-ins in the main event. Regardless, does it seem fair to say that Summerslam is shaping up to be some variation of:

Lesnar vs. Taker, possibly for the belt?
Rollins vs. Sting, in some kind of revenge angle with stips?
(I could also see this being some combo of Rollins/HHH/Kane vs. Sting/Reigns/Ambrose?)
Reigns vs. Wyatt part deux?
Rusev vs. Ziggler in a stips match that gets their valets involved?
Owens vs. Cesaro for the US title / to save this show?
Ryback returns from staph infection to face Miz or some other lame challenger(s)?
Nikki vs. Charlotte, or triple threat trios tag among the whole division?
Part 3 blowoff of New Day vs. PTP?

With five weeks to go, still seems really unclear where they’re going with the show. Hard to say what’s happening with a number of big guys: Cena, Reigns, Ambrose, Orton, Jericho, and Sheamus are all question marks. It almost seems like they’ll need some kind of multi-man stipulation match just to get the younger midcarders on the show. Or else Neville, Barrett, Harper, Dallas, Miz are all left out in the cold.

I could see Undertaker trying to redeem the Wrestlemania loss and that generating some interest, but as a Summerslam main event, not a Wrestlemania match. Undertaker should wrestle Cena at Wrestlemania. It would mean way more than a match with Sting or a rematch with Brock. I don't even think there's anything inherently wrong with running a fuck finish in the rematch if they want to do it but would rather not beat Undertaker again before Mania, as long as they are wise about how they pull it off.

If Sting is going to work Summerslam, he needs a guy who can bump all over the place for him. Since Heath Slater is not booked at the level needed to make it work, I guess Seth Rollins would have to do.

A way to sort of salvage some stuff they've done with Rusev lately would be for Lana to turn on Dolph and reunite with him. It would be a swerve that wouldn't make a ton of sense, but would probably get them both back on the right track. Add the Cena-Owens blowoff, let Jericho and Neville do their well-received match on a bigger platform in a way that might help Neville and give Cesaro the biggest win of his career to date over Randy Orton and there you have a card that isn't really great, but I've seen worse lineups.

Undertaker should wrestle Cena at Wrestlemania. It would mean way more than a match with Sting or a rematch with Brock.

I think you're almost certainly right, but this seems like a match that they'd be wary to book because Cena would get booed out of the arena.

My hunch is that WrestleMania 32 will be Undertaker's retirement match and they'll book it exactly like Shawn's.

Undertaker coming back to get his win back from Lesnar might be WWE's way of ensuring Lesnar remains a heel. I would imagine WWE would prefer Lesnar to remain a heel considering he's not around often and they typically use Heyman to get all of Lesnar's angles over, particularly in Lesnar's absence.

To be fair, I don't think the Streak should have ended anyway. Honestly, it should have been 20-0 & The Undertaker retiring.

I also don't think Brock can be a heel the way WWE would want. He's booked to be a dominate ass-kicker that doesn't take any shit and doesn't need to talk because he just destroys. That's going to get over & get cheered. You can't just do a 180 now & make him a chickenshit or have him start getting worked over by normal people.

You would think the one-thing Vince McMahon would have had big plans for would have been the Streak of The Undertaker. His admittedly favorite wrestler, wrestling yearly at his marquee show & holding onto the longest, most legitimate streak in pro-wrestling history (arguably?)...and he just ends with a whimper in a match that didn't need to happen.

I don't think Brock should have lost to John Cena at his return. I don't think he should have traded wins with Triple H and I certainly don't think he should have had a Wrestlemania match with The Undertaker, let alone ended the Streak.

If the reports from a few weeks ago are still to be believed where Triple H insists on shoehorning himself onto the show, I hope they just do Rollins and Triple H vs. Taker and Sting, and get all these clowns out of the way in one match. I have no interest in any of the hypothetical singles matches being banded about for Taker or Sting.

It also means we could get Reigns vs. Lesnar for the title, which is something I'd be happy to see.

From a storyline persepctive, how do they even present Undertaker vs Sting? With part timer matches, you need to have at least one guy on TV to build it.

I almost feel the best way to do this is have the announcers flat out admit "you wanted to see this, so we're gonna give it to you!" No storyline, just a shock announcement. No real need to be subtle about things, just get it out of the way.

There seems to be a very clear split in fans who want to see Reigns/Lesnar II and those who shit on the idea of that match and act like Rollins/Lesnar is the match they want to see.

Most of the people I've seen calling for Reigns/Lesnar II are kind of lapsed old school fans (myself included) while younger fans who are way more into WWE like the posters over at WF act like they really want to see Rollins/Lesnar.