Pro Wrestling Only

Ricky Marvin

Grimmas

I just recently watched him vs. Tiger Emperor (Kotaru Suzuki in a mask) and it was certainly one of the best junior matches of the decade. Heck, it may be the best Michinoku Pro style singles match I've seen. He seems like an ultra-talented dude who is hurt by by being stuck in dark period for juniors, but I def. have to check out more of him before I can assess him properly. So far what I've seen is he has top notch execution on spots, no-nonsense offense, great base and knows how to play the music between the notes.

Huge and underrated talent who looked great everywhere he went. Unfortunately everywhere he went felt like down periods and dead promotions. He's like a Jamie Dundee/Eric Embry/Derrick King type who you want to see turned loose in a bigger spotlight but never really got the opportunity. He did have some main events in AAA that probably did good business, just not really at a time when people on message boards were talking about AAA as a place to see great workers. Ditto a lot of his stuff in NOAH. Carrying Kotaro Suzuki in years of meaningless undercard matches is not an ideal showcase.

• 5 years later...

He has had a heck of last five years as he has moved into the touring lucha indy scene and is consistently one of the best performers on the small shows which end up on youtube. Just had a classic with Black Terry. Kind of reminds me of lesser Rey Jr., spectacular high flyer in his youth, tremendous veteran as he got older

• 8 months later...

I always get bummed out about Marvin because he's a dude who could've been a awesome get for a place like TNA's X-Division or whatnot: through he still had great success in Japan, it felt like he was always gonna get to a certain point and get stuck there. He was great as a tag champ but never managed to capture a big singles title, and that's namely because he was always one of the best, but never THE best. He was never Marufuji, KENTA, Suzuki tier in terms of popularity or in terms of versatility: I've never seen him carry a average act to a great showing, and that's a essential feature of champions in general.

Great in the ring, mind you. Unlike many Jr guys he got stuff like pacing, selling, and telling a story. He was never the type to randomly no sell stuff and he was probably one of the few guys who could wrestle on the mat nearly as well as he could nail fearless lucha sequences. He just did better generally in tags than singles due to the variables mentioned above but I could see him being a rogue option given he's still putting out very good match content when he's at his best.