Pro Wrestling Only

Jaguar Yokota

Jetlag

Seen a handful of her matches and enjoyed what I've seen. I've got a bunch of early AJW, so let's assess her properly.

Victoria Fujimi/Nancy Kumi v. Seiko Hanawa/Rimi Yokota - AJW TV 1978

I don't think Jaguar had been wrestling for a very long time at this point, hence her and Hanawa are called Young Pair. This is distinctly joshi from the get-go, which is kind of cool to see that the style was firmly in place as early as 1978. Fast paced, quick in and out tags, momentum changes, hard to tell who's in etc. I enjoyed this more than some of the 90s sprints because the takedowns and throws in this all ruled, the match was fairly scrappy and hate filled and laid out in such a way that the lack of selling didn't stand out in a bad way. Yokota and Yanawa were a pair of vicious pricks, rushing their opponents at the start and always coming out on top when the action spilled to the outside. I enjoyed how calmly they walked back in the ring after sending Fujimi and Kumi headfirst into chairs with no regards for anyones safety. Jaguar did some cool flying headscissors and attacked people's eyes after getting the hot tag which was cool, but hard to stand out in this kind of match. I also enjoyed the Golden Pair's arm work. My favourite thing about this early joshi stuff is that it all feels like a struggle. No laying in holds or waiting for the other guy to hit his offense at all. I also enjoy the whole 70s look with the stylish bathing suits and the colorful flower ring.

Marina Figueroa vs. Rimi Yokota 78/79

Marina looks like a grumpy farmer's wife who's not afraid of hard work. Of course she was great. The match was very short (and apparently clipped) and essentially Marina delivers a rudo beatdown at double speed. Yokota gets two quick comebacks but essentially gets stomped. Not a bad showing at all from Marina, she has a really great chinlock, attacks the nose, uppercut to the throat and stomps the shit out of Yokota's arm, but this was just a squash. Yokota completely ignores the work on her bandaged arm so Marina finishes her with a neat backbreaker hold. One thing I noticed is how silent the crowds for these matches are, makes you wonder what AJW's premise at the time was. Marina Figueroa deserved better than this.

Victoria Fujimi vs. Rimi Yokota late 1978/early 1979

Fujimi wears a karate jacket here and tries working like a Kung Fu/Stan Lane/Kato Kung Lee type which may be my least favourite type of babyface worker. The crowd took some delight it in though and they didn't go overboard. Interesting style for this, as the open with exchanges that feel absolutely lucha (Rimi does neat Negro Casas "stand on your toe and push you" takedown), then things break down and Fujimi takes a bump into unforgiving looking wooden chairs before Yokota does some really solid groundwork. Fujimi removes her jacket for her comeback and wrestles like a standard 70s joshi again which was amusing but I don't care for her stuff at all. The finish felt typically japanese. Nothing much to see here.

Lucy Kayama vs. Rimi Yokota late 78/early 79

This was a solid, basic match between the youngins. I only noticed Lucy Kayama for fearlessly going for springboard dives on a 70s ring with loose ropes, but she was calmed down here. Once again Yokota rushes her opponent at the bell and stomps the fuck out of her leg. It was really nice, intense varied legwork that I imagine would've looked pretty great if these matches had any heat. Or if Lucy had sold any of it. I get US style limb selling and psychology is not what these rookies are going for but watching a few minutes of limb work followed by a payoff of another couple minutes of limbwork with neither section being sold is kind of pointless. I enjoyed it but I wouldn't call it something that's worth going out of your way to see. Good finish here as they scramble for Cobra Twists before Kayama lands a few nifty backbreaker variations and seals it with the gory special.

I think around '81, she turns into a true world-class worker. She's the first worker to truly separate herself from the rest of the pack in a lot of ways, but it doesn't become more apparent for a little while longer. It's neat watching her do stuff as a youngster, though. There's a good match with her and Jackie Sato in 1980 that was the first standout for her in my eyes.

Seiko Honawa/Rimi Yokota v. Judy Martin/Yumi Ikeshita 1979

Martin just dwarves everyone here. I remember enjoying Ikeashita before, but this was kinda lame. Fairly by the numbers heel beatdown without much drama or great babyface comebacks. Martin was kind of awkward and blew a slingshot spot badly at one point. Match got a little heated when Ikeshita used a foreign object. I really like the way Ikeshita carries herself, but her punches weren't great (for someone who throws a few punche). Not much t say about Rimi and Seko in this.

Rimi Yokota vs. Chino Sato 1979

If I remember correctly these two had a fairly noteworthy match in 1980. This was far from that match but I always enjoy finding rookie versions of great matchups. And let me tell, this was really enjoyable. It may have to do with the fact I find heatless technical matches much more tolerable than heatless face/heel matches. This was solid to the core matwrestling, mostly basic holds and throws, but everything was executed nice and smug, with some snap and fight to it. My favourite bit was probably Chino working surfboard variations. Nothing complex but she understood exactly what she was doing. Actually Chino controlled most of the match and did so admirably with cool throws, nice varied legwork and the described smug matwork. Yokota did a nice job selling the leg and fleeing to the ropes, but her eventual comeback was lame. The finish however was really neat. Both girls showed some great timing throughout this.

Rimi Yokota/Nancy Kumi v. Mami Kumano/Monster Ripper "late 70s"

Ahh, the wonderous Monster Ripper. I dunno if she was technically good, but she surely was efficient, aside from having one of the best wrestling names ever. This was the best of the "heels beating up faces" TV matches so far. It was mostly a squash but they kept things interesting throughout. Kumano and Ripper knew how to mix it up aswell as understood how much offense to give the young faces, unlike the previous . Kumi starts this off with a Butterfly Suplex over the rope which is certainly unique, but Ripper runs back in and it quickly turns into an assbeating. I really, really liked Kumano here. She gave a nice understated heel peformance next to the freakish MR, stepping on fingers and and scraping faces with her bootlaces. Once Kumi and Yokota tried to mount a comeback on her she simply produced a foreign object and stabbed the fuck out of their faces and hands. Normally foreign objects/interference spots in japanese wrestling are handled pretty terribly where they just do whatever they want while some really shitty ref distractions is going on, but in this case Kumano was both hiding it well (it was a pretty small thing after all), then strutting around the ring and showing it to Yokota while the ref was distracted with her for a moment. So that was nice. Also really liked the timing on the "heel hits her own partner" spot. Yokota throw some nice punches which had no effect on Monster. She sold well throughout and here comeback spots in this match where noticably better in this bout than previously, but this match was all about Ripper and Kumano.

JIP - Lucy Kayama/Mimi Hagiwara v. Rimi Yokota/Seiko Hanawa (low sound) - Mid/Late 1979

Yokota tries the Masa Fuchi "make the foot touch the head" spot at one point in this. Other than that Seiko Hanawa did the bulk of the work here and neatly so. This was back to grappling and throws and it was good stuff until Yokota and Hanawa got more aggressive attacking Hagiwaras leg and took it to the outside. The legwork went probably too long and Yokota didn't really come alive during it like in previous matches. Hagiwara was fairly impressive (I can't recall a lot of workers who can transition from a victory roll into a gutwrench suplex and make it look good and seamless) but I imagine her screaming selling would really drive you up the wall if the sound quality here wasn't low end. I think Hagiwara is some kind of spiritualist these days which makes me a little disappointed as I'd like to her what a black metal band with her as vocalist would sound like.

Victoria Fujimi v. Rimi Yokota - September 1979

Fujimi wasn't doing any of that Kung Fu nonsense here. In fact, she sort of redeemed herself by being a perfectly formidable opponent for Yokota. She has a really graceful single leg takedown, busts out the neat Gory Special pin and a really beautiful Huracanrana for a kinda chunky girl. On the other hand, she tried an incubatory springboard-style move that got laughs from the crowd. This was mostly action with a bit of matwork thrown in. I liked how Fujimi sold a Guillotine, liked how Yokota refuses to be put into boston crabs. I wonder if this style is the earliest instance of japanese natives working quasi-lucha against eachother. Jaguar at this point while not great had spotless execution (dig that stalling Butterfly Suplex) and the pissed-off intensity that would make her so outstanding later on. She seemed disgusted with her opponent and it reflected in her stomps and eye gouging. I love me a worker with good stomps and eye gouges. This was fairly short and ends with both of them taking turns smashing chairs over eachothers head before getting counted out. After that they walk back into the ring in unisono to insist on getting their hands raised.

• 2 weeks later...

Mimi Hagiwara/Rimi Yokota/Victoria Fujimi v. Tenjin Masami/Masumi Sukizaki/Cheryl Day

Ah, Devil Masami. Cool to see her so young. This was mostly heels bashing the fuck out of the faces. It felt a little like lucha except with real quick tags and girls running in to break up pinfalls. Yokota and Mimi decide to slow things down a little by doing some armwork but they quickly go back to the fast paced action. Amusing blown spot shortly before the finish where Yokota crossbody blocks Sukizaki's back. I imagine there's an indy worker somewhere using that more or less ironically as a signature move. Fujimi was the best worker in the match, mostly due to her fire and more good chunky girl offense.

Ayumi Hori/Rimi Yokota/Victoria Fujimi v. Raquel Rios/Norma Gomez/Yumi Ikeshita (September? 1979)

More of the same I guess. Except this also had Yumi Ikeshita who was hellbent on beating the fuck out of everything she met. Goodness gracious what a beating. This was shorter and one-sided. Yokota kind of blends in with the other girls in these tags. Ikeshita wins this with the most hellish Owen Driver.

Rimi Yokota v. Mimi Hagiwara (December 1979)

This was a damn good matchup. Yokota was in tremendous shape here, especially next to skinny Mimi Hagiwara. Yokota puts in a real beating, working absolutely heelish by biting and pulling hair, but also doesn't forget to show off her holds and put Hagiwara in her place with that beautiful vertical tiger suplex. It was closer to Terry Rudge than Monster Ripper. Yokota really cranks in her holds and delivers some blowaway great legwork, while Hagiwara performed really nicely working underneath. Hagiwara's selling of the leg and graceful comeback attempts were awesome. Can't decide what I liked more, Hagiwara desperately going for a small package only for Yokota to roll through and once again punch the fuck out of her leg, or Yokota calmly briding out of a weak pin attempt from her worn out opponent and continueing the beating. Last cover was thing of beauty. Damn good TV bout here.

• 4 months later...

Chino Sato vs. Rimi Yokota, 1/4/1980

This is a remarkable match. It feels different from the previous rookie-ish matches from the get go as they bitch slap eachother and the crowd gets really excited. Following that it's all over the place: brawling through the crowd, hitting the mat, impact moves and flying. It's distinct in the way it builds; they get more and more uncooperative, refusing the even get rolled on their backs for pinfalls. I wouldn't call it a great match but the intensity they created was outstanding. Chino may have been the better woman as I felt she was quite good at expressing the exhaustion and toll that the match was taking. At one point, Yokota keeps reversing Chino's attempt at a boston crab, so she simple hurls her all over the ring with a giant swing. One of the best uses of that move that I've seen.Yokota was less expressive but her ring work was razor sharp as usual.

Chino Sato/Rimi Yokota v. Hiroko Komine/Patty Steiger, 2/21/1980

Steiger is a big pale redheaded broad that doesn't really look like she belongs in a wrestling ring. Chino Sato has looked really good so far so I'm stoked to see her teaming with Rimi. This isn't much of a match though. A little clumsy brawling, Sato and Yokota work over Komine's leg a little before they easily beat her. It was all good matwork but nothing to write home about compared to the other matches reviewed above. Poor Komine gets a stalling butterfly suplex, giant swing, two powerbombs and a splash all in a row. Talk about overkill.

Ayumi Hori v. Rimi Yokota

Hori was a big girl. This was a back and forth, all action bout that switched between hard slams and holds. No real rhyme or reason to any of it but I remain impressed by how good these girls are at the technical stuff. Hori looked physically awkward but had some really good arm work. Yokota was her usual self.

At this point my supply of early AJW TV ends (for now) and I'll just continue with all the Jaguar I can find online.

Jaguar Yokota & Mimi Hagiwara vs. Devil Masami & Tarantula, AJW 4/1/1983

Devil Masami! After watching this, maybe she's the woman I should be following. Nothing wrong with Yokota, but the focus of this match were the heels and Hagiwara to a lesser extent. Yokota showcases some fun 80s flying offense she gained and not much more. Masami on the other hand beat the shit out of Hagiwara landing rushing headbutts and punting her in the throat with a microphone. Most of heels' attacks were focused on the throat and it was pretty gruesome stuff. After the 2nd fall the faces get real pissed off and even bash the ref in the head with a table. It's really breaking down after that and Hagiwara even tries to disassemble the announcer's rink. Watching these tiny japanese women rampaging like Hansen is pretty funny. Masami gets a big nasty crimson mask but that doesn't stop her from press slamming Yokota out the ring into a bunch of trainees. Three flat falls keep this from being more but it was a fun watch.

• 1 year later...

Jaguar Yokota vs. Mimi Hagiwara (early 80s handheld)

This is some handheld from YouTube without a date. I assume this is early 80s before Yokota lost her hair. A period that seems like one of the best for women's wrestling to me. This match is easy to hate, because it has a bunch of legwork that isn't sold a ton, but there's lots of good wrestling to make up for it. Yokota controlling on the mat and constantly attacking the leg, even reversing Hagiwara's desperation rollups into leglocks, was really great. They make good use of the bigger submissions, with Hagiwara locking in a surprise Scorpion Deathlock after Yokota had controlled her so long that got a big reaction, then move into a finishing run that's as intense and dramatic as in any other wrestling match at any point in history, like a high end lucha title match. They actually build to the big spots well, exhaustion selling kicks in, time limit comes into play and Hagiwara dishes out some insane moves. It's worlds apart from your typical run of the mill workrate match too, as small details such as Yokota taking huge bumps for a posting or Hagiwara following up a piledriver with knee drops to the back of the head add so much to the competitiveness. Is this match a classic, one for your laundry list of all time greats? Who knows, I don't even give a shit anymore. I know the talent on display is incredible.

Jaguar Yokota & Jackie Sato vs. Nancy Kumi & Jumbo Hori (AJW 1981)

Utterly brilliant match. I've seen this before, but after watching a bunch of 70s/early 80s joshi, this kind of feels like the quintessence of the style. And it emphasizes how distinct the girl wrestling at the time was from everything else. So, this is like a lucha trios or one of those french tags: Graceful, unique wrestling. Just the stuff I like so much. Being that it's joshi the pace is fast, and being that it's the early 80s the match is built around cool throws and hard fought submissions. Tons of awesome flying headscissor work too (I don't mean that in the crazed wrestling fetishist way). This project is about Jaguar, but the standout is Jackie (like in almost any match she is in). You can tell she loved this kind of pure wrestling contest and was a total wrestling machine. Damn what a badass grappler. Jumbo Hori also looks really great, with her size advantage and power adding a different dynamic.Yokota looks like motherfucking Jaguar Yokota, doing some stuff vastly beyond the ability of most wrestlers. Hori and Kumi have to fight hard, and there's the sense that they don't stand much chance against the two women who would compete for the top belt the same year. I could see some people having a problem with the sheer speed and number of spots as well as flowing partner-in-and-out structure, but that was the style of the day and how hard they are sprinting here for 20 minutes and doing all this awesome no-bullshit wrestling is endearing to me. It's way better than the joshi sprints from 20 years later that's for sure. Also, the rhytm of the bout was right and there were a number of really well timed spots, proving that they were thinking on their feet as they went. Great match.

• 2 weeks later...

Jaguar Yokota vs. Monster Ripper, 1982

Wicked great match. I have to say, at this point, I think Monster Ripper really ruled. Maybe she's the next woman after Kandori who needs a rediscovery. It may have to do with seeing her against the likes of Yokota or Jackie Sato. But whatever. She was absolutely perfect against Yokota here. I mean just look at this matchup! Yokota is a force that can't be contained. But Ripper is an immovable object. Yokota would launch herself at Ripper and Ripper would just stand there and let her hit a brick wall. Repeatedly. Yokota would go for a submission and then Ripper would throw her off but Yokota would bounce right back. It was the coolest shit ever. Yokota is a total cat with the amazing speed and agility, and the skill. I loved her takedowns. You could argue having her get Ripper off her feet this often wasn't good for the big /little dynamic, but it made perfect sense. Yokota looked like an intelligent wrestling machine getting believable takedowns to get in the match (something that works on a monster as Inoki/Great Antonio told us), and Ripper would crush her anyways. When it was time to go to town Ripper just demolished Jaguar, throwing her around like a doll and dropping her weight on her. Ripper even hit the mat and showed Jaguar the business with some armbar work and surfboard holds. Ripper pretty much gave zero fucks in this match. Also, her resistance to anything Jaguar tried and really effective, unpredictable bumping allowing Jaguar to make smart comebacks picking at her weak spots were immensely fun. And Jaguar just kept coming and coming back at her.

That was easily the baddest match ever to feature someone that looks like Messiah Marcolin in Bewitched. Quite the showcase for how incredible Jaguar could be, and how boss Ripper was in this environment.

• 4 weeks later...

Jaguar Yokota vs. Jackie Sato, 12/16/1980

The rush of great Jaguar Yokota matches continues. This was frickin AWESOME. It was kind of a preliminary to the later, bigger Sato/Yokota title match and mainly served the purpose of building up Jaguar, but for a match that is essentially typical half baked young wrestler gets first taste against the star this is really outstanding. Jaguar was absolutely ferocious. Picture Hashimoto, except lighter, faster, girlier, and replace the brutal kicks with brutal matwork. The wrestling was as tight and on point, while still keeping a graceful note, but the struggle and fighting and wild-eyed determination from Jaguar is what pushes it over the top. People talk about Jaguar having ahead-of-her-time offense, but fuck that talking point. She didn't need any of it. The basic spots, such as boston crabs, body scissors or small package holds were made into holy shit spots here. I mean seriously the technique is flawless, but the timing and defensive use of the moves is stunning. Some might argue that structurally the match was messy and had the kind of meandering spots typical of young wrestlers in big matches, but the focus of the match was Jaguar Yokota sticking it to Jackie Sato with a vengeance and that was present at all times. Sato was somewhat reserved, but a great foil for Jaguar's fury and added a few slick moves to the match. Also, there is some arm work that gets paid off nicely, and the repeated leg attack stuff from Jaguar gets played up later in the match, building to an incredible last 5 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

Rimi Yokota vs. Tenjin Masami (early/mid 1980)

Rimi Yokota vs. Tenjin Masami (early/mid 1980)

Two matches without an exact date. The first is from what seems like a bigger show that had Jackie Sato taking on Chabela Romero in a bloody match in the main event, the second takes place outdoors in the middle of a field at night with only crickets making any noise. Well, the first match is a good example of the downside of watching early AJW. A bunch of cheating, outside interference and chaos due to Masami's heel posse being at ringside. It mpsumay be fascinating at first to watch girls in jumpsuit get thrown around but it gets tiresome very quickly. Also, the match was booked to go to a 30 minute draw and that was too bloody much for these two especially Masami. Masami controlled with a bunch of eye rakes, and while Yokota sold with dedication, the match just wasn't exciting The highlight was easily Masami assaulting Yokota with a lemon. A lemon! Monthy Python warned us about this! To be fair, they don't teach you how to fight lemons in wrestling school. The lemon got a big reaction too. Actually, I faintly remember Mami Kumano attacking someone with apples in a previous match. Maybe it was their gimmick. The acids in these fruits will melt your teeth away sooner or later! The second match was slightly better I guess but it was just a short, basic houseshow-ish match, with Masami working the throat about, Yokota controlling on the mat some and then a quick Cobra Twist finish.

• 3 years later...

If I'm still here regularly by the next time the GWE poll is done, she'll be very, very, very high on my list.  I have a lot of Rimi/Jaguar Yokota matches on disc, and I've been cataloguing old AJW on Youtube, though they're unlisted (I hate getting strikes).  If anybody is wanting to watch Jaguar in AJW, I have a playlist in the works here:

You're doing the lords work. I used this chance to rewatch the famous Yokota/Asuka match from 1985.

I remember the initial sprint sequence blowing my mind, and its still a great sequence. I remember I had never seen anything like those snapmare bridge ups before, and now that we're watching old French pro wrestling, everyone is doing them. There's also a weird leglock which we've seen in France and nowhere else, so you have to wonder how much influence Kiyomigawa (the japanese worker touring France then) had on them.

After that, it's a long section of legwork. Jaguars holds were great, but Asuka just blows it all off. Gotta say, Asuka has to be one of the worst megastars in wrestling. At least Jaguar looks somewhat concerned. Even Asukas kicks were mostly just laughably bad. Then she put that Takada-like noodle leglock on her opponent.

The finishing stretch has no rhyme or reason to it, but it still stands out as they just bust out one reckless dangerous bump after another. Yokota getting thrown around was harrowing, so were all the piledriver spots. The finish has Yokota taking this massive flat face down bump off the top rope and getting up immediately to hit a suplex for the win.

This match may have created the joshi trainwreck sprint formula. It's either terrible or great, depending on where you stand. I still enjoyed huge parts of this thanks to it being the 80s and neither girl doing anything silly on offense.

23 hours ago, Jetlag said:

You're doing the lords work. I used this chance to rewatch the famous Yokota/Asuka match from 1985.

I remember the initial sprint sequence blowing my mind, and its still a great sequence. I remember I had never seen anything like those snapmare bridge ups before, and now that we're watching old French pro wrestling, everyone is doing them. There's also a weird leglock which we've seen in France and nowhere else, so you have to wonder how much influence Kiyomigawa (the japanese worker touring France then) had on them.

After that, it's a long section of legwork. Jaguars holds were great, but Asuka just blows it all off. Gotta say, Asuka has to be one of the worst megastars in wrestling. At least Jaguar looks somewhat concerned. Even Asukas kicks were mostly just laughably bad. Then she put that Takada-like noodle leglock on her opponent.

The finishing stretch has no rhyme or reason to it, but it still stands out as they just bust out one reckless dangerous bump after another. Yokota getting thrown around was harrowing, so were all the piledriver spots. The finish has Yokota taking this massive flat face down bump off the top rope and getting up immediately to hit a suplex for the win.

This match may have created the joshi trainwreck sprint formula. It's either terrible or great, depending on where you stand. I still enjoyed huge parts of this thanks to it being the 80s and neither girl doing anything silly on offense.

Thanks!  I have another two matches in the process right now.

I really, really like that match and I still think it's great, and it was the first Jaguar match I've seen (I mean well it was rated ***** by Meltz, it's probably a lot of people's first Jaguar match).  But yes, it gets ruined by Lioness Asuka.  The Nagayo/Masami match is definitely the best match of the night.

Unrelated to her wrestling matches, I think this may be the earliest footage of Jaguar training as part of the AJW dojo I've seen so far.  It's from November 1986 (she retired in February) in Saipan, and it's one of those travel trip things they'd show on the old AJW TV shows every once in a while.  It's kinda neat, you can she they're working on a judo hip toss and you can see a much skinnier Aja Kong grappling with another student.  Akira Hokuto is in it also, but she already graduated and has been on TV for a year, but she did the best out of the long jumping competition (which is OMG dumb, some girls seem to get hurt).  And yep, that's Akira Hokuto in the thumbnail.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...