Pro Wrestling Only

[1981-10-19-WWF-MSG, NY] Bob Backlund vs Greg Valentine

Superstar Sleeze

WWF Heavyweight Champion Bob Backlund vs Greg Valentine - MSG 10/19/81

Huge kudos to the Titans especially Pete to get me to watch this in short order. This bad boy did not disappoint.

"Anything you can do, I can do better." - Bob Backlund's motto. Whether it is out-brawling Patera, out-powering Hogan or in this match out-slugging Valentine, Backlund's game is to prove he is better than his opponent at their game. It is this attitude that truly makes him a world heavyweight champion (I acknowledged it was not recognized as a World title, but damnit Bob is my boy.).

In this match, there a countless of examples of Valentine executing a move and Backlund absorbing the move and then dishing out the same move but with even more impact and ferocity. This is established early with Valentine getting three early takedowns. Backlund fires back in rapid fire those three same takedown. Anything you can do, Hammer, I can do better and don't you forget it, pal!

The crux of the match centers around Valentine and his full court press to apply the figure-4 on Backlund. He begins by weakening the knees. There is a great spot where Backlund gets a monkey flip out of a half crab. Anytime, Backlund looks to turn the tide, Valentine comes crashing down with a thunderous blow. Valentine tries 8 million ways to apply the figure-4, but he can't wrangle the ever-scrappy Backlund. This is just perfect pro wrestling. You can feel Valentine's frustration about not being able to apply this hold and simultaneously you feel Backlund's desperation to avoid this hold at all costs. The figure-4 becomes everything and you are totally invested in this struggle between these two competitors. Valentine tries a different tact. He turns the match into a slugfest. Against pretty much anyone else, Valentine could bully his way to victory with his vicious forearms, but not against our hero. Backlund gives as good he gets with equally vicious elbows, fists and headbutts that must have inspired BattlArts, The dynamic switch between stand up and ground really feels like you are watching BatBat match take place in early 80s WWF in MSG. It is crazy. Valentine bullies him into the ropes and goes back to the legs. He applies the figure-4 and Backlund immediately flips to his stomach. GREATEST SPOT EVER! Bow down at the altar of Bob Backlund! Again Valentine stymied switches to slugfest and this ends with a BACKLUND PILEDRIVER~! Only two for Bob, who misses the leg drop and hurts the injured leg. BattlArts headbutts from the knees ensue and they just beating the shit outta each other.

Then we get the finish. Valentine hoists Backlund up for the airplane spin, but hits the ref. Backlund ends up on top, a groggy ref counts to three, Valentine is up first and because they wearing the same trunks and have similar builds the ref hands the title incorrectly to the Hammer thus the title is held up. I get that they are setting up for a rematch and this is creative, but I didn't dig it. It is just kinda lame. I can't really explain it. It is just lame in my eyes. It knocks the match down just a peg. Still one of the all-time classics of the Backlund era, an absolute pleasure to watch and guide on how to sell the importance of a hold and a match. Terrific performance from both wrestlers. ****1/4

Rewatch: Really enjoyed the body for all the same reasons I mention above. I think one thing I didnt mention was how I liked the constant double knockouts. Whether it was from headbutts or a suplex, the double KO spots really made this feel symmetrical and like these two are equals. Backlund was great at selling the leg throughout. The finish is fucking terrible. It is one of the all time worst finishes and I cant believe I was so charitable before. This is the Seth/Bray of the 80s, so bad. Knocked the down the rating slightly. 

At the time, that finish was more acceptable in that the WWF sold the idea that "The referee's decision was ABSOLUTELY FInal" and could not be reversed or changed. Once Valentine's hand was raised, there was no reversing it. Holding up the title was the only thing that could be done to right the wrong. Restarting the match was not an option. The ref's mistake was a huge deal at the time because of the finality of his call of that or any match.

• GSR changed the title to [1981-10-19-WWF-MSG, NY] Bob Backlund vs Greg Valentine