Pro Wrestling Only

Fritz Von Erich

Grimmas

Fun worker and one of those guys who got the best out of Baba. There's also a JIP match vs. Joe Blanchard on YouTube which is a couple minutes of in your face greatness. He genuinely looked like a terrifying nazi assbeater and his style makes you take stuff like The Claw seriously even 50 years later. If there was more footage he'd probably be a lock.

I really like Fritz in ring, and think he's certainly worth consideration. Big, nasty convincing tough guy, really like the way he works his big offensive weapon (the Claw) into matches. As Jetlag said, his matches with Baba are a load of fun, and Fritz is great in them. I love the way he'll stalk the ring like a vicious bully one minute, but the moment Baba is on offence he'll cower away without it seeming forced. Even old man Fritz in his retirement match with Bundy is fun, as he's still got the size and an aura that suggests he's not to be messed with. Might well make the lower part of my list.

• 5 years later...

I was the Fritz high vote in 2016, think I had him as a top 40 guy. Don't think he'll be so high this time, but I want to try and watch/rewatch as much Fritz as possible to see if he's still a top 100 guy. I think he's hurt by volume of footage, but I love everything I've seen. He's so fun in his AJPW matches, just a nasty vicious bastard.

There's 2 matches against Jumbo, one in 75 and one in 79, that I loved when I watched them. The earlier one is Fritz brutalising Jumbo in front of Baba before their match the following week, and it's a mugging. The later one is Fritz putting over a more experienced Jumbo. I'm also high on old man babyface Fritz. Like, I really like his retirement match against Bundy where he's this big, aging crotchety old guy taking it to a young punk.