Pro Wrestling Only

The Highest Level of Stupid

Grimmas

WCW beating Goldberg because they felt they had to end the winning streak. I mean, yeah at some point it had to end, but having it become a political trophy for the usual suspects to try to be the first was stupid if not predictable.

WCW beating Goldberg because they felt they had to end the winning streak. I mean, yeah at some point it had to end, but having it become a political trophy for the usual suspects to try to be the first was stupid if not predictable.

I feel bad for Kevin Sullivan every time I hear him tell that story.

Tony Schiavone going into business for himself and refusing to promote the upcoming ECW house show during Mike Awesome's debut on Nitro, thus violating the terms of the deal with Heyman that allowed Awesome to make the jump to WCW. Scott Hudson even tried to set him up ("Doesn't he have some kind of title defense?"), but no, Tony had to stick up for what was right. Ended up costing WCW an additional six-figure payment to ECW.

Master P vs the West Texas Rednecks. Paying a fortune to a really bad rapper to run an angle pitting rap vs country. Not only running said angle in southern America, but giving the heel team an impossibly fun, catchy anti-rap theme song, then wondering why the fans were cheering for the heels. To cap it off, WCW obviously thought "Hmm, we can use this to put one of our underused workers in a prominent TV role. Who on the undercard screams 'urban'? Of course, Brad Armstrong!"

The WWF immediately pulling the trigger on Flair vs Hogan and Road Warriors vs Demolition feuds when both acts joined the company

no way do i agree with the latter, especially. demolition were already on the way down the card - jobbing the tag titles clean was a big sign. had to get whatever value left from them at that point.

i also don't think there was going to be a ton of money in the former regardless of how it was done, just because of sheer timing. that was a peak point for wrestling burnout, combined with all the steroid & sex scandals. WCW brought in hogan at a much better time since that stuff had worn off to some degree.

EDIT: to actually add something of my own here, cutting off the summer of punk the way WWE did. that was the most mainstream press i recall wrestling getting since the attitude era, though i wasn't around for the trump & mayweather stuff. daniel bryan's fate was a similar story but one you can't really blame the company for, given his injury risk.