Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 7/27 - 8/2

PhilTLL

So after WM there was the narrative that Roman Reigns won over some of the crowd by the beating he took from Brock, I wonder if Cena getting his nose splattered across his face and finishing the match will win over some of the people who still won't accept him.

By the way, I don't think it's any coicidence or accident that Cena's resurgence this year comes at the same time he's been out of the World title picture. He was the perfect choice to rehab the US title, since then it would actually make sense for him to win all the time and it negated one of his (and WWE's) biggest criticisms that they were too afraid to not have him either be champ or be the main contender for the title at all times. Of course now he's challenging for the title, and if they have him beat Seth at SummerSlam it will render the whole experiment moot.

Speaking of Cena rehabbing the US Title. What makes sense for him dropping it at this point? Hold it through Mania? As much as the world title is still the big belt and more important, winning this will do more to make someone outside of the usual crew.

In a way, Cena probably can't lose the US title to anyone that is currently in the WWE on the main roster in terms of midcarders/upper midcarders. Not since Cena started mowing down all the challengers that came out for his open challenge. You almost pretty much have to have him lose to a new unknown element...someone like Kevin Owens when he first came in. I can actually see this ending up being Samoa Joe, Sami Zayn (I know he already wrestled Cena but he got injured and it is a natural way to write a rematch) or Finn Balor in full monster form.

I actually thought Owens should have won the title from Cena and then started his own US Open challenge as a mockery of Cena. Do that for a few months and then have Sami Zayn make his full-time main roster debut by accepting the challenge and beating Owens for the title. Would have been a great way to go IMO. I suppose they can still do it, but it seems like they've gone into cool off mode with Owens now so they obviously don't have any big plans for him.

In any case I think a heel winning the title next has more mileage in it than a face winning it. To me having a heel win it and build up a lot of heat before dropping the title will do more to get a babyface over than just having the babyface beat Cena.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it was any one of the heels they have now on the roster or even if it was a babyface that they have now on the roster who turned heel for the US title challenge, it won't do as much as if it was a new guy. People would be more impressed by a guy who beats Goliath than they would a guy who beat David after David beat Goliath. You are talking about beating the franchise ace who has been unbeatable in his role as the US champion. Same deal if you beat Brock Lesnar for the world title as opposed to if you beat Seth Rollins for that same title.

NXT is the best. Just a snappy hour of programming with a nice squash-squash-feature-squash-squash-main event structure especially lately. Regal is outstanding as the beleaguered General Manager who has to deal with lunatics like Bull and Breeze while also managing psychopaths like Owens. The commentary team while weak in a lot of areas (Byron is a poor face representative on color) does a good job of not making anyone look like a total joke including the job guys. Elias Sampson is quickly becoming that hidden highlight in the shows where he sneaks in a little something like baiting Jordan while in a Gable headlock and rocking a forearm to the face. Oh Gable... Gable is so good already. And then Dana Brooke is like nailing character stuff now which wouldn't have been conceivable a month ago. She's a great motor mouthed punk. YAP YAP YAP YAP! Main event was probably BAMFs best outing as a poor man's Heavenly Bodies where they worked to their strengths of good ring positioning and feeding the faces. They still aren't captivating working heat though. English and Gotch did their parts but the finish was telegraphed when Aiden had to bounce over towards Bliss. Bliss is a great second and jerk heel too BeTeeDubs and will do well when the top of the women's card clears out shortly.

If they want to "make" the guy who beats Cena for the US title it should be Reigns. Have him win that then go on a big run towards the world title.

Honestly I feel like they should have had him win the IC title when Bryan got hurt and had to drop it. That would have been a great way for him to build up his credibility for a while. Then Reigns and Wyatt could be feuding over the IC title right now instead of having it sit at home in Ryback's suitcase or whatever.

If they want to "make" the guy who beats Cena for the US title it should be Reigns. Have him win that then go on a big run towards the world title.

Honestly I feel like they should have had him win the IC title when Bryan got hurt and had to drop it. That would have been a great way for him to build up his credibility for a while. Then Reigns and Wyatt could be feuding over the IC title right now instead of having it sit at home in Ryback's suitcase or whatever.

Yeah it would be totally great to have the guy who got vilified for "taking" Bryan's spot for Wrestlemania be the guy who takes Bryan's title. That won't totally kill him dead for sure!

Everyone got all up in arms the last time I said it, but Roman Reigns getting the IC title would feel like a big step down for him. The U.S. title would be one thing since Rusev and then Cena have really built it up but the IC title hasn't meant anything in years.

Everyone got all up in arms the last time I said it, but Roman Reigns getting the IC title would feel like a big step down for him. The U.S. title would be one thing since Rusev and then Cena have really built it up but the IC title hasn't meant anything in years.

Then again maybe you use Reigns and a very long reign to make the title mean something again.

Wasn't the plan for the IC title when Bryan won it is to have it be a Smackdown exclusive title? If so, Reigns shouldn't be holding it because he should be on Raw. Well unless the WWE was committed to making Smackdown a strong viable show in its own right after the move tp USA, in which case making Reigns the exclusive franchise ace of Smackdown could possibly work.

I'm actually holding onto hope that they might take that route with Cesaro now. I know it's still too soon to know if the new babyface push will stick, but so far he's had a string of matches with Owens, Rusev, and Rollins on SmackDown. He's starting to feel like a featured performer on the show, and that could certainly keep the "wrestling show" concept as a focal point.

New Day is the best act to come along since the Shield. I'm not just talking trios either. They're like a brief glimpse of light through the depressing WWE fog. I'm chuffed that these guys have sorta accidentally stumbled into something that works and works so well. Big E has finally been able to put forth his personality and is looking like a future star again, the once lousy Woods has miraculously morphed into Memphis Jimmy Hart and even Kofi's finally found something he's good at (obnoxiously flamboyant clapping). They're the only part of the show that guarantee a raised smile. Enjoy them before they inevitably get babyfaced. Positivity!

By extension the PTPs have been hitting it out the park too. Young is legitimately one of the best workers in the world when he's left to go at it. Titus is the hottest hot tag since Bryan a couple of years back and is a great worker in his own right. Now there's a guy that could be a star if the company was arsed with that sort of thing. Only quibble is they got the belts too soon. Their crowd connection needs to grow a bit more.

Apart from all that the best part of Raw was Sasha/Paige. It was their first real attempt to present a women's match as a serious thing and it worked. (Although the presentation outside the ring remains shitty. Is there a heel/face dynamic in the divas division or are they all simply pushed as 'catty bitches'?) Paige is so much better working the aggressive anti hero schick than the blue eyed underdog role they tried to lump her with early on. This was her best performance since the Emma matches. And they're keeping Sasha strong which is a good sign. Charlotte still stinks mind.

Otherwise, Raw was shite.

People who watch to complain don't exist. They aren't real. I refuse to believe that they are. If you think that, name names instead of talking about this boogeyman watcher who apparently just lives to complain complain complain. It should be easy if there as many of these unicorns out there as some seem to think there are. I do think lots of people watch and react honestly to what they see, which is what we want people to do I would think. Other people should stop being concerned with how many of their opinions are positive or negative and instead just be happy they are watching and talking. If you're tired of negativity, a better show would cure that, so direct your anger toward WWE and leave people alone about not loving everything they see.

I have never been to that board because I've never had a subscription to WON/F4W but I pretty much have never heard anything good about it. And that includes on other boards I would also classify as "not very good" but then I'm spoiled because this board is generally snark free most of the times.

I would link to the F4 board if it wasn't a closed board but there are people there clearly as gimmick posters and there to actually deviate from discussion. Thug Nigga was one by name. There is a racist confederate gimmick there (name escapes me) and any complaints I have sent have been ignored.

Ugh, I've had a subscription on and off for years, but never posted at on the board for reasons like that. DC SNIPER comes to mind as obnoxious troll gimmick poster, weirdos like Ed from San Antonio and r*v3rt coming into countless topics to do nothing, but argue/troll about nonsense like late slips.

Don't usually follow NXT. But because I'm a soppy git at heart I had to tune in to see the Bayley fan interaction. Heart warming, organic little moments like that are sorely missed in jaded old wrestling. Full Sail is full of pillocks. NXT would be such a better show with more kid Bayley fans. The match with Charlotte was fine. Liked the counter sequence into the first Bayley-to-back suplex. She should cut out them running elbows to the corner, they look terrible.

I don't get Mojo Rawley. What is he supposed to be, a coked up frat boy? What's there to like about this idiot? Putting him in a tag team was a good idea. I might be the only person to say this anywhere ever but Scott Dawson is really good. He was surrounded by shit so I might be overestimating but he was the glue that held the Mojo/Ryder tag match together. He's like some little Arn/Tully hybrid. Seems like he could be a really useful hand for NXT.

Several of the problems in the 'whats wrong with WWE' thread were addressed in this show. I really liked the Owens empty arena interview where he stressed the importance of regaining the belt for his bank balance.

If you saw NXT tonight you know what fucking time it is.

It's time to get BULL FIT!

😄

NXT rules.

This was fucking great and a highlight of tv this week. One of the most genuinely funny things I've seen from WWE in a long time.