Pro Wrestling Only

"The Magnificent" Don Muraco

Grimmas

I liked his presence walking to the ring, especially when Graham managed him. Anything else worth checking out I may have missed?

The big problem with Muraco is that his prime is not on tape. There are clips against Brisco where he looks great and some promos, but yeah...

I love the Snuka feud

I love the Backlund feud (both of them)

I love the Steamboat feud

I love parts of the Pedro feud

His biggest issue is lack of footage of his prime.

Favorite two Muraco matches I've seen are:

Bob Backlund vs. Don Muraco [Texas Death Match] (Madison Square Garden, 9/21/81)

Junkyard Dog/Ricky Steamboat vs. Don Muraco/Mr. Fuji (Landover Cap Centre, 8/17/85)

Both were on my ballot for SC's 50 Best WWF/E matches. Texas Death was in my top 10, the tag near the bottom of the ballot, but still very entertaining.

Muraco won't make my list, but I haven't seen him have tons of lousy matches or anything. I realize this is faint praise that we aren't supposed to be using, but he's a better candidate than many of the other workers who have threads. Is the backlash people holding the gassed-up tie-die era of "The Rock" against him?

I wish we had more, longer matches from his Florida run. I love the one we have with Windham, just for his intensity.

Actually the one thing you DON'T want out of Muraco is a longer match.

We had a good discussion on him on Titans #51.

He's better in shorter matches, where he can let his charisma and intensity carry things. The LAST thing you want is for him to go much longer than 10-15 mins, because that's why you get the bad Muraco who sits in holds and is lazy as fuck.

Favorite two Muraco matches I've seen are:

Bob Backlund vs. Don Muraco [Texas Death Match] (Madison Square Garden, 9/21/81)

Junkyard Dog/Ricky Steamboat vs. Don Muraco/Mr. Fuji (Landover Cap Centre, 8/17/85)

Both were on my ballot for SC's 50 Best WWF/E matches. Texas Death was in my top 10, the tag near the bottom of the ballot, but still very entertaining.

Muraco won't make my list, but I haven't seen him have tons of lousy matches or anything. I realize this is faint praise that we aren't supposed to be using, but he's a better candidate than many of the other workers who have threads. Is the backlash people holding the gassed-up tie-die era of "The Rock" against him?

No, the backlash comes from the fact he was an obviously gifted guy who wrestled dull-as-shit matches a lot of the time. Need a nap? Watch the Steamboat feud.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

I wanted to renominate him because @Grimmas has been threatening to make a case for him for like a decade now. 

I also just watched a tag with Muraco & Bob Orton Jr vs Hogan & Snuka 5/18/85 and it's an awesome match. If you were going to watch one match with Muraco, I'd pick that one. Incredible Hogan performance. 

On 5/7/2023 at 12:10 AM, elliott said:

I wanted to renominate him because @Grimmas has been threatening to make a case for him for like a decade now. 

I also just watched a tag with Muraco & Bob Orton Jr vs Hogan & Snuka 5/18/85 and it's an awesome match. If you were going to watch one match with Muraco, I'd pick that one. Incredible Hogan performance. 

One of my favourite GWE16 podcast moments was Grimmas building up the scale of GWE, all the footage people had watched, all the chat and debate...then part gleefully, part apologetically announcing his #100 was the Magnificent One.