Pro Wrestling Only

RIP Roddy Piper

Stiva

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just read Meltzer's bio and wondered what is out there of Piper's 1983 tour of All-Japan, which looks like may have been his only work in Japan

http://wrestlingdata.com/index.php?befehl=bios&wrestler=275&bild=1&details=7&liga=14&jahr=1983

That's fascinating. Does anyone know if ANY of those matches made tape? A quick bit of Googling doesn't turn up any Japanese matches for Piper available for online viewing in the usual places. The closest I found were a match or two of him working The Canadian gimmick in Los Angeles; although one match against Tatsumi Fujinami shows Piper working a bit more grappling-based style than he did in years afterwards. (He also gets pinned, but does that annoying "kick out at 3.1" deal; what was WITH Piper refusing to EVER lay down, until he got to WCW and suddenly decided his pride wasn't worth more than Ted Turner's money?)

There is some Piper-in-NJPW, both as himself and the Masked Canadian, on the '70s New Japan set. Some of Piper's AJPW stuff did make tape, but the only list I've ever seen that has it is Friedlander. There's a Piper/Slater vs. Jumbo/Baba tag match that I liked--not in an '80s set-worthy way, but it was a good match.

Just read Meltzer's bio and wondered what is out there of Piper's 1983 tour of All-Japan, which looks like may have been his only work in Japan

http://wrestlingdata.com/index.php?befehl=bios&wrestler=275&bild=1&details=7&liga=14&jahr=1983

These aired per Dan:

05/19/1983 Dick Slater/Roddy Piper vs. Hara/Inoue

05/26/1983 Baba/Tenryu vs. Slater/Piper

06/03/1983 Baba/Jumbo vs. Slater/Piper

The last one was a Int'l Tag Title, and one of only two matches on the tv show. It's probably complete or mostly complete. The other two might be JIP given what else was on the TV shows.

• 3 months later...

Stumbled on this earlier. Pretty awesome collection of 122 Piper's Pit's (complete?), conveniently in chronological order. This channel was linked earlier-big time Roddy fan.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhREHzJ0Z0rX72wWub2b3fX637Yntj26z

Also, myself Johnny Sorrow and Marty "Superstar" Sleeze are planning to put together an epic career retrospective podcast on Piper later this week. Stay tuned

Stumbled on this earlier. Pretty awesome collection of 122 Piper's Pit's (complete?), conveniently in chronological order. This channel was linked earlier-big time Roddy fan.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhREHzJ0Z0rX72wWub2b3fX637Yntj26z

Also, myself Johnny Sorrow and Marty "Superstar" Sleeze are planning to put together an epic career retrospective podcast on Piper later this week. Stay tuned

If you need help for LA and SF footage, I have 17 DVD of Roddy Piper. It might be a Goodhelmet comp.

• 9 months later...

https://smile.amazon.com/Rowdy-Roddy-Ariel-Teal-Toombs/dp/0345816226/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1474812284&sr=1-1&keywords=roddy+piper

A book is coming out next Tuesday, written by his two children, about his life. Really, really looking forward to this one even if I take the claim that it's as great as Bret's book with a little salt.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

How do people rate Piper's matches with Flair in 91/92?

It's something I had wanted to see with the buildup on TV with the Survivor Series match, Rumble confrontation & the tag match on CHV, I know they did a match at MSG but can't remember if it was any good. I have a Cage match book where it showed pics of matches between the two in a steel cage so wondered maybe WWE filmed it.

Years later I read about the two having matches against each other in NWA, no idea how much is out there but I recall watching one of their matches and the promo.

It's something I had wanted to see with the buildup on TV with the Survivor Series match, Rumble confrontation & the tag match on CHV, I know they did a match at MSG but can't remember if it was any good. I have a Cage match book where it showed pics of matches between the two in a steel cage so wondered maybe WWE filmed it.

Years later I read about the two having matches against each other in NWA, no idea how much is out there but I recall watching one of their matches and the promo.

I know there are handhelds on YouTube of some Cage Matches between the pair from early 1992, not sure if any were ever pro shot however.

I know there are handhelds on YouTube of some Cage Matches between the pair from early 1992, not sure if any were ever pro shot however.

If WWE had their own team who did the magazine with some excellent photos does that guarantee that they were also filmed as I believe some took place at TV tapings. I know a Warrior/Slaughter one did and recall the mag mentioned 2 Piper/Flair ones.