Pro Wrestling Only

[1985-03-30-NWA-Worldwide] Wahoo McDaniel vs Magnum T.A. (Cage)

Superstar Sleeze

NWA US Champion Wahoo McDaniel vs Magnum TA - Worldwide 3/23/85 Steel Cage Match

Watching Mags in Mid-South, it was clear just how good of a babyface he was in terms of selling and just connecting with a crowd. Even with his technical execution being subpar, I thought his charisma overwhelmed any flaws. Once he was put in brawls with DiBiase, he could really shine. Here against Wahoo, his offense has come a long way. He is by no means the best, but it is no longer glaringly bad. Couple this with the babyface charisma and selling, he was a potent force. He has just debuted recently and was given a string of very quick wins with the belly to belly suplex, which has been established as a devastating finisher. Have not seen much of Wahoo in action, here he brought chops and lots of them. He was a good mountain for Magnum to climb. In 1985, the story was about Mags. Wahoo tried to cheat early, but Magnum overcame that and then Wahoo tried to turn it into a slugfest and Mags fought right back. In fact, he was kicking so much ass, he hurt himself on a headbutt and Wahoo was able to pull him into the cage. Wahoo worked an adequate heat segment, but Magnum's selling and how he conveyed the earnestness of his comeback was what carried the day. I loved the finish with Wahoo in control working shoulder tackles only to be caught out of the blue with the vaunted Belly To Belly! New US Champion! A perfect way to build a hot new babyface and a superb finish. Not a great match, but definitely one worth checking out. ***

• 2 months later...

I enjoyed this quite a lot. Heel Wahoo really hits the spot for me and he's great here, dicking at a pretty high level. Really brutal and intense action, a bit deliberate but not sluggish, great heated payoff feel. The headbutt/tights pull into the cage transition is beautiful and stiff. This is a great example of just how much Magnum is able to accomplish with little offense. Easily ***1/2 for me, maybe higher if I rewatch.

For anyone seeking it out, I think it's actually on the 3/30 episode, at least it is in the set I have.

• GSR changed the title to [1985-03-30-NWA-Worldwide] Wahoo McDaniel vs Magnum T.A. (Cage)
  • 5 months later...

This is now up on YouTube to watch. Its a damn fine 11 minute long steel cage match. I wouldn't say its tremendously violent but, its  expertly wrestled. It tells a nice story with Wahoo as a bit of a heel, getting Magnum bloody on the cage. TA's selling really made this work so well considering he wasn't gushing. A very good match and short enough to just sit down and watch without blocking out your schedule.