Pro Wrestling Only

[1979-03-26-WWWF-MSG, NY] Bob Backlund vs Greg Valentine

Superstar Sleeze

WWF Heavyweight Champion Bob Backlund vs Greg Valentine - MSG 3/26/79

This is the rematch to their classic one hour draw. I have never seen this particular Backlund/Valentine encounter and of all the MSG matches I think this is the least. I really like the draw, 81 series and their 84 match is unhearalded I would say all those matches are at least ****1/2. This match plays on the draw by having no countout there must be a winner so part of the psychology is too tease that they are going to go long and this causes a looooooooooooooooong front facelock sequence where a fan audibly yells “Cmon somebody do something.” I love you, Bob and Greg, but I gotta agree.
The early Backlund shine before this facelock was solid highlighted by a wicked Backlund forearm. I love Backlund/Valentine exchanges they are just so nasty. Backlund starts to break up the front facelock with some nice hope spots and Valentine responds by trying the figure-4 and the crowd ooohs and aaaahs. No not the front facelock, but he moves into the deathlock and slaps the back of Backlund’s head now that is just insulting. Backlund is ripshit and powers out, carries him over to a corner and slaps the shit outta him. I love Backlund/Valentine!
The next sequence will blow your mind. Valentine applies a half-crab, but Backlund grabs the toe and he transitions this into a cradle that is just outstanding. Now Backlund tries to go for the half-crab, but Valentine still has a leg. So Backlund maneuvers into a monkey flip, WOW! Backlund Figure-4!!!! MSG ROARING! Incredible sustained heat! Valentine makes ropes and Backlund is rocking back and won’t release. Valentine reverses and Backlund is writhing and hollering. Valentine works on the legs and Backlund responds with a crazy headbutt. TIMMMMMBBBBAAAAAHHHHH!!! Valentine big elbow to top of the head and covers. Backlund slaps his back at two and The Hammer thinks he has won. Backlund atomic drop wins the match for the Champ.
I really liked the home stretch with some hot sequences around leg work that really showcased how good both were. God that front facelock and horrible finish just really kills the match for me. For as strong as Backlund looks some of these finishes are just horrible for him. It was Valentine’s last match with Backlund in the Garden until 81 why not put Backlund over clean. Still some really great shit! ***3/4

• GSR changed the title to [1979-03-26-WWWF-MSG, NY] Bob Backlund vs Greg Valentine
  • 2 years later...

This is the first match between the two I've seen and I'll have to dig into more because I was way into this. The finish was goofy and there were some down moments but the transitions, snug work, and sense of struggle made this a great watch. Valentine struck an interesting balance of coming off like a legitimate badass while still finding ways to get cheap heat and keep this crowd foaming at the mouth to see Backlund clobber him.