Posted 17 August 2015 - 06:03 AM

Discuss here.

#2 Goodear

Goodear
  • Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 05:19 PM

Stan Hansen & Genichiro Tenryu vs Abdullah the Butcher & Tiger Jeet Singh

Singh is notoriously awful but I've seen enough Stan taking on actually good wrestlers that I wanted to give this a shot to see how he and Tenryu did with a lesser talent.  I also figured it would be unlikely that Stan would be able to guzzle Abdullah and I wanted to see how Hansen would react.  

Honestly its not a bad outing as Tiger is not the worst thing I have ever seen and is not out of place in this context.  He's there to brawl and stuff and he actually works cuts once they are open so that puts him one up on Brian Cage.   If anyone is really the fish out of water here it is Tenryu who reacts to the brawl by selling a bunch and coming back in flurries when Stan hands him an advantage.  He seems to take the worst of the ECW style roam around the arena but as he comes back bleeding from assorted punishment.  I personally find the most effective use of blood to be when I know directly where it came from as opposed to in this match where Abby is just bleeding at one point.  The backdrop suplex spot with Abdullah, while visually appealing, felt out of place here as it came from The Butcher putting on a headlock and not having a fork in his hand which made it seem like an artificial set up.  The Meat Cleaver elbow is always a treat and the finish was fine although Genyru's lariat isn't half as good as Stan's.

Looking at the Tenyru & Hansen team individually, Genryu really came off as the sidekick in this setting as Hansen seemed to be carrying the team and making saves.  This can work if the sidekick is sympathetic or the mentor emotes in some way, but I don't think that was the case here as Stan hardly seems to notice Tenryu is there half the time.  This feels like two individuals in a match together to me rather than a tag team.

Notes in Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 Timbo Slice

Timbo Slice
  • Members
  • 1446 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 03:26 AM

The Baba/Rusher match is an all-timer, but I don't think they have nearly enough to make a list like this.

#4 elliott

elliott
  • Members
  • 1366 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 06:06 AM

The matches that made the 80s set:

Genichiro Tenryu & Stan Hansen vs Jumbo Tsuruta & Kenta Kobashi 7/15/89 #16

Genichiro Tenryu & Stan Hansen vs Jumbo Tsuruta & Yoshiaki Yatsu 10/20/89 #81

Genichiro Tenryu & Stan Hansen vs Terry Gordy & Bill Irwin 11/19/89 #70

Genichiro Tenryu & Stan Hansen vs Giant Baba & Rusher Kimura 11/29/89 #7

Genichiro Tenryu & Stan Hansen vs Jumbo Tsuruta & Yoshiaki Yatsu 12/6/89 #4

Looking at Lord Helmet's Hansen Comp, there's also

Genichiro Tenryu & Stan Hansen vs Jumbo Tsuruta & Yoshiaki Yatsu 7/11/89

Genichiro Tenryu & Stan Hansen vs Jumbo Tsuruta & Great Kabuki 9/30/89

What else exists?

The Baba/Rusher and 89 tag league final are two of my favorite matches of all time, Hansen & Tenryu individually are two of my all time favorites, but yeah, there's no way they could rank.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Genichiro Tenryu, Stan Hansen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users