Photo

Jim Londos vs Bronco Nagurski (11/18/38)

November 18 Jim Londos Bronco Nagurski

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43383 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 10:50 PM

#2 fxnj

fxnj
  • Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 11:08 PM

I've long thought of this as the first great match on film and, though I'm not sure if I'd still say that, it is easily my favorite match pre-1950's. It's also the only one feel comfortable giving a rating to as it's near-complete and in good quality. The main thing I remembered before this rewatch were those vicious forearm shots thrown by both guys in the lock-ups, but what struck me as well this was the intensity with which they locked up even before they started throwing those shots. It really makes the match stand out right from the beginning after seeing most guys look loose and relaxed in other matches, and it sets the tone for this as a tense match where every move feels meaningful. Even things that feel entirely mundane today, such as someone trying to block a snapmare or doing headbutts to a guy in the corner feel like a huge deal in here. Since it's a Nagurski match, we also get some sweet looking tackles towards the finish with Londos take some hard bumps for them. He manages to come back by capitalizing off an arm injury to Nagurski and win with a body slam to cap this off. ****1/2

#3 G. Badger

G. Badger
  • Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 05:13 PM

This was a physical all action match that is still captivating all these years later. There's no goofiness or corniness that creeps its way in during the TV era. Its kinda like a Stan Hansen match 45 years early. Great stuff

#4 Microstatistics

Microstatistics
  • Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:07 PM

A truly fantastic match. Super intense and gritty work here as there is struggle over everything. I liked how compact it was, really well paced and put together. It was built around some really interesting strategy from both and the finish was great. **** 1/2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users