Pro Wrestling Only

SummerSlam Brooklyn... It's Time!!!

goodhelmet

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not every match needs a rigid heel/face dynamic but every match needs a hook or a selling point. Misawa vs. Kobashi was for a title that was viewed by their audience as being very important. The match also had a back story of Kobashi coming in as the reigning champion but still needing to prove himself against Misawa. UG vs. Atlantis had two veteran masked wrestlers fighting to keep their masks. There were obvious and compelling reasons to invest in those matches so they didn’t need a heel/face structure to be successful. Those matches had genuine stakes that people bought into.

The Rollins & Cena feud was built around the idea that Rollins was an unfitting champion and Cena was out to remove him from that position. The WWE title and US title are not over in any meaningful way. What was really at stake was the babyface (Cena) trying to give the heel (Rollins) his comeuppance. While I don’t think Rollins worked totally like a face, he certainly didn’t work like a heel even though the build to the match centered on him being an unlikeable heel. If the WWE title meant something and the story of the feud was a title chase (rather than a good guy-bad guy story) I wouldn’t have had any issues with how Rollins wrestled. It was a match where the build centered on a heel/face story and dynamic. The only other thing at stake was whatever little value the WWE title has. When a match is built up like that, the heel sort of needs to work like a heel to give the match meaning.

So yeah. Here I go.

Orton vs Sheamus. Everything dull and boring and wrong about post mid'00 WWE, from the looks to the presentation to the style of work. Thanks for reminding me this was still around. Orton is STILL a black hole. His Viper deal is even more stupid looking as a babyface. Robot wrestling.

Tag team Title match. Why wasn't this the opener ? New Day are awesome. Amazing how they went from a truly embarrassing gimmick to the best act in the company (undercard at least). Them golden shoes ! Xavier Woods cracks me up every time. And I guess most of this is adlibed, which is why it sounds fun. Clusterfuck of a match, but one hell of a fun one. Big E was terrific here. Too much cool shit to go into details. Totally fun multi-men total nonspot action match. And the right guys won.

Rusev vs Ziggler. Tell me again why I should care about Billy Gunn 2.0 ? He actually managed to have a poor match with Rusev, who at points looked like he was trying to have a match by himself. Poor Lana. The point about her dressing up exactly like her new guy was funny. Yep, now she dresses poorly, and shows no charisma as a babyface. I was waiting for Joey Styles to scream the catfight call at the end. Bad. Get Lana & Rusev away from Ziggler.

Amel/Neville vs Stardust & Barrett. Life's short. I have no idea who Amel is, nor do I care. I however do know who Stardust is, therefore this gets not one second of my life.

IC title thriple threat. See above. These three guys won't get a second of my life. Nice color scheme as always on Ryback, who looks like the most jacked up leprechaun ever.

Wyatts vs Ambrose & Reigns. Fuck, finally some action. I liked it very much, Bray is much better in this tag context. Ambrose was the star of the match though, and I thought Reigns really didn't bring much apart from doing a hundred Superman punches (which is an acceptable stupid spot when you do it once) and flying clotheslines. This guy is so far removed from being the Ace they wanted him to be. He's Luger in the Allied Powers at this point. Didn't the crowd boo him quite a bit each time he tagged in ?

Cena vs Rollins. Dig the white outfit. Yeah, this is the usual Cena match, all action back and forth spotfest, in which Rollins totally shined. I couldn't care less about him working like a babyface, he's a heel with cool offense, deal with it and the crowd loved him here. Cena was awkward to watch at times, as always, but it worked until they got into the usual WWE deal of, well, ya know the drill, including some nice dubious selling on the part of both guys during the finishing stretch, worst being Cena no-selling the frog splash basically. And then, as soon as Jon Stewart hit the ring, I though "WCW finish + swerve". And right I was. The execution of Stewart was godawful too, and I don't mean only the chairshot but also the way he "hesitated". Awful and stupid finish. WCW 99 kinda shit. But thankfully, even more stupid was to come. Good match until then (like this better than the Owens matches too).

Three teams womens matches. I said it already, the way the girls have to take turns doing their own routine in front of the camera makes them look like so inorganic. Poor Sasha. Lost in the shuffle. And I actually like Nikki, but really, the best worker of the previous night (well, of both nights actually) just being "another girl" here. Well... At least we didn't get Stephy cutting a promo, or simply walking down the ramp looking annoying. Decent match, but...

Owens vs Cesaro. Yeah, probably the second best match of the night. Again, all action spotfest, but a really good one. Nothing bad to say about this one. Too bad the crowd was dead by this point.

Taker vs Lesnar. What can I say ? As far as a monster beating the shit out of an old guy, this wasn't Vader-killing-Inoki level of fun, but this was way better than it had the right to be. Although of course, by the time they got into spamming finishers and kicking out of it, I got bored and it became sadly predictable and WWErrific. Still, Lesnar laughing his ass off and Taker doing that demonic laugh in response was kinda great. Taker going MMA wasn't, but it never was. And that finish, oh, that finish. I was rolling, really. Did they hire Vince Russo to book the two main events ? This is straight out of WCW 2000. The apex of fuck finish.

So, I enjoyed the tag team title match, Wyatts vs Shieldy, Cena vs Rollins to a degree, Owens vs Cesaro (well, it was probably the match of the night after all), and Taker vs Lesnar to a degree.

In term of show, it dragged like crazy. In term of booking the big matches, it was hilarious. In term of production, yeah, when the opening guy on NXT has a better intro than *anyone*, Taker included, on this show, there's a problem (not to mention the usual stuff like the epileptic camera and the rotten announcing).

Takeover smoked this seven ways to sunday of course, and the two main events there were better than any match at the (yo Bret) SummerSlam. The crowd was also much much better.

Well. I guess I'll have to watch RAW, just so I can see how they manage their third show there.

Well. I guess I'll have to watch RAW, just so I can see how they manage their third show there.

I wouldn't really recommend it but if you do, you should absolutely fast forward through every word of that last talking segment until they do the reveal of what's under the sheet.

I wouldn't really recommend it but if you do, you should absolutely fast forward through every word of that last talking segment until they do the reveal of what's under the sheet.

Damn. Because I was thinking, sometimes those post-Mania RAWs are better than the PPV, so... Well, thanks for the warning. :) I'll watch that tomorrow (the advantage of watching the next day is that I can fast-forward, and also I get to read the entire thread of comments and bitching over here, which can be more fun that the PPV's)

Well you have the benefit of not watching in real time and getting to fast forward through a lot of the junk. There were some good parts but a lot of "same old shit" in there too. I broke my own rule about never watching current WWE without the use of a fast forward button and it was really not worth it.

It's a huge match that makes him loads of money. It does more for Brock than wrestling Cesaro.

Edit: what an earth is CTC? Cyclists Touring Club?

Cash them checks

To be more accurate, it means "cut the check". It was brought to pop culture lexicon by former basketball player Rasheed Wallace who said it as a member of the Boston Celtics and he just didn't care anymore.

I preferred the NXT show by a country mile for a variety of reasons.

The Brock/Taker finish pissed me the fuck off really bad. Never cared for Taker. Never bought into his bullshit deadman gimmick. Guy comes across as a real wanna be tough guy with something to prove and it bugs my ass. Fuck him. Fuck Vince for bookin that shit. Outta touch old fucker.

Even on the shitty black and white version I watched on YouTube, Taker/Lesnar was an easy MOTYC. Really had the feel of a stiff war between two monsters akin to Hansen/Andre, with the added bonus of Undertaker bringing his insanely underrated old man selling and building very well off his Wrestlemania story. I loved the announcers selling it as him having nothing left to prove and returning to his 90's persona of just killing guys because he felt like it and not caring about wins or losses. The screwy finish just went along with that. Also, given that this was supposed to be a renewed Undertaker it seems common sense to me to have him survive what finished him at Wrestlemania to drive that point home. But it's a WWE main event, so people love to find things to bitch about no matter what.

You're probably right, Grimmas. Though at this point, not sure if the F5 qualifies as a finisher since he hasn't beaten anyone with it in years.

The hell? Aside from the first Hunter match, he's won every match with it.

I think what he meant was he usually has to hit 2 or 3 or more F5s in the course of most of his matches before one finishes them off. But if thats not what he meant then *shrugs*