Pro Wrestling Only

The Fabulous Freebirds (Michael Hayes & Jimmy Garvin)

Grimmas

The other being?

I will admit that I have a soft spot for the Hayes/Garvin version of the Freebirds since I never saw the original version growing up. Since I didn't have the background of the Birds being these legendary figures, I was able to appreciate the new version for the Wile E. Coyote cartoon characters that they were. Just a great midcard heel heat magnet team that could rile the crowd in the second or third match on the card before getting pinned with a sunset flip. A team that could literally give the crowd nothing to cheer for 20 minutes as they stalled, goofed and stooged around like Larry Zbyszko with a perm. Granted they could ham it up and eat a Johnny B. Badd for lunch if they used their powers for evil, but what a great roadblock team for the Southern Boys or Rock'n'Rolls. What a great team to put over the Steiner Brothers as Rick and Scott rose up. They could just fill out the card so nicely.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This team wasnt that bad when they first got together in 89, they just fell so hard so fast. I enjoyed their tag title feud with the Steiners as they were the old guard with the belts and the new, stronger, 90's wrestlers were coming up and finally in Nov 89 ate them alive and took the tag titles. So from their getting together in Summer 89 - end of 89, they really werent that bad. Their work with their team in WarGames was decent enough as well.

In 90, they started to fall fast, but also their spot on the card did. They had an OK mid-card feud with the RNR and that was their last gasp to me. After that, they werent much at all, and didnt look like they belonged anymore. Once end of 90 - 92 came, they were nothing, and shouldnt have sniffed the tag belts like they did in 91 even though it was VERY temporary. Hayes got heavy quickly, Jimmy got worse, they got like 10 people around them to try and prop them up, but it didnt matter, they were cooked.

Not even a thought to me as a top 25 team.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

An eyesore on WCW for many years. How Jimmy Garvin stayed employed for as long as he did is a marvel of modern science.

Has probably won the Billy Graham award more times on WTBBP than any other worker.

Parv stop hatin on Jimmy Jam. Although I am surprised to see them nominated I am also happy because I love Garvin maybe Because he was cool in wccw. Anyway he was the work horse Hayes never did much. The only critisism is that they purposely no sold and the other negative is that the early '90s MARKS were sick of all that glam and wanted EDGIER TEAMS like LOD blew up when they hit mainstream WWF & STEINERS. BUT looking back it's so entertaining watching the clash when the freebirds debut their music video! If u haven't seen it u must go watch it now!