Pro Wrestling Only

[1982-05-26-NJPW] Hulk Hogan vs Abdullah The Butcher

Loss

It's really cool to see how over Hogan is in Japan at this point, with the fans chanting his name after the bell and popping huge for his posing during ring introductions. Right away, they establish that this is going to be worked Clash of the Titans-style with all the stalemates off of lock-ups and shoulderblocks. Then Abby rolls outside after Hulk hits a high jumping knee (!!) and we've got ourselves a cool layout. They work up to Hogan not just applying the bearhug on Abby, but doing it where Abby is off of his feet elevated. Then Abby puts his knees up on a splash coming off the ropes and the blood begins to flow, with Abby using his trademark pencil to inflict more damage.

I don't really know what Hogan's work looks like before this and if this is par the course or a departure. from his typical New Japan working style. But you get the sense it was this stage of his career where he really learned to work "big" and create an electric atmosphere. The execution is a little off from both guys, but that actually adds to the match because it puts over the violence factor. I don't think they were blowing spots to make us think we were seeing a shoot, but I do think this is the essence of what Dave was trying to describe in that New Japan match not long ago, only he said it in a questionable way. Hogan's blood-soaked facial expressions are great, and he's quick to make sure Abby also juices when he gets some momentum going. They brawl outside the ring for the typical DCOR finish, but they have a hell of a brawl post-match. I know it's a cliched 80s finish, but in this case, it's a well-worked cliched 80s finish. (Hey, there's Hiroshi Hase as a young boy trying to break them up!)

This shows a few possible paths both guys could have taken. Abby would have been an excellent early challenger for Hogan in the WWF, and you get the sense that if 1997 Johnny Ace could have a great match against Akira Taue, so could 1982 Hogan. Good stuff. *** (If you're not philosophically opposed to considering the post-match part of the match rating, which I'm not, tack on an extra 1/2*.)

• GSR changed the title to [1982-05-26-NJPW] Hulk Hogan vs Abdullah The Butcher