Pro Wrestling Only

[1987-03-16-CWA-Mid-South Coliseum] Jerry Lawler & Bam Bam Bigelow vs Austin Idol & Tommy Rich (Double Jeopardy)

Superstar Sleeze

Jerry Lawler & Bam Bam Bigelow vs Austin Idol & Tommy Rich - Memphis 3/16/87 Double Jeopardy

A double jeopardy match for those that don’t know, like myself, before watching this match is essentially a two-ring circus. It is two singles matches going on simultaneously in rings side by side where partners can switch off whenever they want and two men of the same team can only be in the same ring at the same time for 60 seconds. I don’t like three ring circuses. I like my attention squarely focused on one thing and don’t like the idea I am missing something. I thought overall that was mitigated by them constantly interacting with each other.

The face shine focuses on Bigelow, who is portrayed as a monster babyface helping out hero Lawler dispatch the asshole heels. He busts Rich open early. This allows double teams on Idol. I would be remised not to mentioned the wretched, ugly nude-colored tights on Lawler. Only made worst by pairing it with mustard colored boots. Hands down one of the worst wrestling outfits ever. Maybe that is what was distracting me. Rich breaks up this double teaming. The dreaded falling headbutt lands on Rich, who falls to outside. Falling headbutt for Idol and then one on his nuts. It turns out the angle that kickedstarted Lawler vs Idol & Rich was Idol & Rich trying to ensure Lawler could not have any more kids by crushing his balls against a ring post. This explains a lot of the nut shots.

Idol grabs a mic and starts to punch Lawler with it as Rich and Bam Bam go toe to toe. Idol grabs a board with a nail in it and cuts Lawler open and throws him into a table. I will admit that was pretty gruesome. Throws the board to Rich who attacks Bigelow with it. I like that it takes a nail in a board to take down the beast. This is the best presentation of Bam Bam in his carer. They double team Lawler and once again they crush his balls on a post. Bieglow comes around the corner and attacks like a ferocious bear. Big face comeback and lots of revenge nutshots. Bigelow falling headbutt on Richs balls and Lawler ties up Idol and punts him in balls. They are going to post Rich, but Idol comes in with a blackjack from Lord Humongous and whacks the both of them. Ref calls for the bell?!?!? Wicked lame finish. They can use all that other shit and now you call for the bell.

They wrap a noose on Lawler and handcuffed Bam Bam to ropes. This is a really good heat segment to set up next week’s Texas Death Tag match. Bigelow tries to hulk up. Jarettt leads face locker room for the save. Bigelow’s bull in a china shop routine after the match is a sight to behold. Honestly, the match felt lukewarm to me. I did not get that feeling of real hatred or heat. There was just not that electricity of a great brawl. I am always down for revenge nutshots so this is a very good match, just not a great one for me. ***3/4

• GSR changed the title to [1987-03-16-CWA-Mid-South Coliseum] Jerry Lawler & Bam Bam Bigelow vs Austin Idol & Tommy Rich (Double Jeopardy)