Pro Wrestling Only

Where the Big Boys Play #76- Top 100 Matches Special, Part 2: 50-1

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished Part 1 yesterday and now you drop this bomb on me. The commute for the next few days will undoubtedly be much improved. I find the matches you're close on just as interesting as those where you're on completely different wavelengths and look forward to seeing thoughts on matches ranked that either of you hasn't come across yet / recently.

You'll have to make sure to post the full list shortly!

You guys were wondering about the background of the Punk/Samoa Joe matches. I watched the same Joe/Punk shoot interview that Chad was talking about. I think originally that show that had the second one hour draw was supposed to feature Steve Corino vs. Joe, and Corino had to pull out, leading to Gabe asking Joe and Punk to do the rematch months early.

Bravo, guys. Chad's speech at the end about wrestling's impact on his life was major, genuine stuff and made me think about its role in my own life, sometimes for worse but quite often for better. After hearing that, I feel affirmed in saying that wrestling is genuinely an art.

A must-listen podcast.

So I'm now about an hour in and still loving it. Chad, absolutely loved what you had to say about a certain Nitro match+angle that made your list. It would never make mine, and probably not most folks, but this is your damn list and its great to hear what people love and why.

Parv, I know you'll have a few Liger recs to check out from doing this podcast, but would highly, highly recommend you check him out in the New Japan vs. NOAH junior tag series from circa 2002. To be specific:

Tsuyoshi Kikuchi & Yoshinobu Kanemaru vs. Jushin Liger & Wataru Inoue (NOAH 2/17/2002)

Jushin Liger & Minoru Tanaka vs. Tsuyoshi Kikuchi & Yoshinobu Kanemaru (NOAH 4/7/2002)

Jushin Liger & Minoru Tanaka vs. Tsuyoshi Kikuchi & Yoshinobu Kanemaru (NJPW 8/29/2002)

The heat is off the charts, and Liger as a super heel is something totally different. You're already familiar with Kikuchi from your trek through '90s All Japan and will love him just as much here. MAKE IT HAPPEN.

Finished this today. The part at the end with Chad talking about how much the hobby meant to him was oddly touching, and I loved Parv's existential crisis over a specific ranking of two matches. For the next celebration could we get Chad to just do a podcast about the different times and places where he reflected after seeing great matches? Those two stories were great.

This podcast might finally get me to try Dory, although I have a long list of projects right now.

I was surprised listening to this that Liger was someone who Jerry said he needed to look into/watch more of. I certainly wasn't expecting any Joshi to make his list, and from his posts on here kinda guessed what it would be heavy on, but that comment did surprise me. I enjoyed the diversity of Chad's list with a nice mixture of everything including a couple of Rings matches in there too.

To explain on that, I'm familiar with Liger and have seen my fair share of his matches in both US and Japan, even saw him live once, but he's not someone I think of for top 10-20, whereas Chad does. So I need to see more to understand where he's coming from to talk about him in those terms.

(Thanks for feedback all)

To explain on that, I'm familiar with Liger and have seen my fair share of his matches in both US and Japan, even saw him live once, but he's not someone I think of for top 10-20, whereas Chad does. So I need to see more to understand where he's coming from to talk about him in those terms.

(Thanks for feedback all)

My initial list had Liger at #5, so I may be the high vote.

However, I think Liger has it all. Great matches, amazing heel work, amazing babyface work, great moves, great selling, great storytelling. He really has done it all and had a career that produced great matches for at least 14 years and can still produce some good matches after 30 years.

Thank you Matt and WingedEagle for the comments.

I do think Parv would dig the Liger vs. NOAH feud a ton.

That feud is freaking great and I am sure he'd love it.

It's one of my favorite series of matches ever. Definitely check out the 2003 tag as well as the ones posted above. Watching all those matches about two years ago now definitely helped me get more excited about Liger again after awhile of not caring too much about the 90s junior stuff, really all-time great performances.