Pro Wrestling Only

Where the Big Boys Play #76- Top 100 Matches Special, Part 2: 50-1

This was not a great show. This was the best wrestling podcast of the year, maybe ever. I won't be deleting this from itunes anytime soon as I'm sure there will come a day when I want to listen again. I listened to this either at the gym or in the car so I couldn't note the specifics I wanted to comment on, but there was nothing here not to love. When discussing matches I've seen once or countless times you brought back great memories and reminded us all what makes them so special, but there were also more than few matches on both of your lists I'm not familiar with and will absolutely have to check out. If not yet posted, would you be able to send me or post the lists somewhere online?

You guys clearly get along incredibly well and have great chemistry, never talking over each other while at the same being able to disagree without ever remotely crapping on each other's opinions, as these kinds of discussions can very easily go negative. I legit cracked up in the car during Parv's top 10 when a match he had ranked 7 or 8 was only around 65 or so on Chad's list, which prompted Parv to launch a deadly serious "Incorrect." Just hilarious.

Chad, it was just awesome to hear how much your #1 meant to you and I appreciate how that may factor into your rankings as well, not that a match that incredible needs any extra help but when a match connects with you on that kind of level its going rise even further above the rest of the pack.

I also LOVED how you watch a particular favorite match every Christmas and absolutely plan to steal that idea. Not sure yet just which match it'll be as my initial instinct is the same as yours, but will have to wait until I get to that again on the appropriate Yearbook to make that determination. Also no Xmas here so perhaps I'll use my birthday or something similar, and get a head start soon as that just passed a couple weeks ago.

Very much looking forward to the next iteration as Parv has many All Japan classics yet to come that will undoubtedly rank highly, and I'm sure both of you will come across many other matches that take their place on your list.

The only potential failure here will be if this does not become an annual tradition. Everyone who is a wrestling fan owes it to themselves to listen to this because it will make you feel great about being a wrestling fan. Get. It. Done.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watched Abby/ Shiek vs the Funks -'crazy ! The violence was just sick and loved how they made he effort to meticulously use the spike to destroy Terry's arm while being sure to have it at just the right angle so the ref didn't see it. I love how Abby,is,the workhorse of his team. The finish when Terry comes back with the taped arm and fist is just great. What a wild, violent brawl. I must see more 70s abdullAh.

I also want the full list ! I'd love to try to watch every match you,guys mentioned eventually.

Chad talking about his number one pick was the most beautiful and genuinely touching thing I've heard on on a wrestling podcast and the perfect crescendo to end this labour of love. Amazing stuff. I can almost forgive him for putting MX/RnRs so low and overlooking Funk/Lawler.

Parvs list was full of surprises. Solid modern picks, Reigns/Lesnar definitely belongs in there and like Parv I find it laughable some are put the NXT women's matches in the same ballpark. Bill Watts/JYD vs MX may be my favourite pick of the whole bunch.

I've completely gone off wrestling right now but these podcasts are a blessing and still make for fun listening.

Listened to this a while back on a long plane ride, did not get a chance to comment until now, which means unfortunately I have forgotten a good chunk I wanted to say.

First thank you for giving me the kick in the ass to finally watch Cena vs Umaga for the first. Holy. Shit. I will be shocked if there is a better WWE 2000s match. That may be the single best David vs Goliath match ever. Just wow. Loved it. Also this spurred me on to finally watch Flair vs Garvin in the cage in Detroit. Tremendous war of attrition. I, like Parv, LOVE the TV match and this cage match was badass.

Next, I rarely get emotional watching wrestling, but 2003 Misawa/Kobashi is one of those matches that always tugs on the heartstrings. I just love Kobashi so much and to watch his long ascent to the top and be with him every step of the way it is just the perfect culmination. In a lot of ways as a fan it is a very bittersweet moment. I would liken it to finally beating your Dad in baseball, basketball or what have you. You finally scaled that mountain, but part of that means you have to accept you own father's mortality. It is sad. Especially when the fans the start chanting for Misawa late and you just know this is Kobashi's time and things just don't last forever. It is one of the most emotionally moving matches I have ever seen. For Chad to say he needed 10 minutes to reflect on the match and was late for work, I understand that notion completely. Just Chad talking about and me writing about it now, causes me to get emotional and get goosebumps.

I did correctly pick your number 1, because you have tipped your hand previously. Now that being said I did not know why that was your number one and just how deep your emotional connection is with that match. It was a perfect description of why pro wrestling and by extension any form of entertainment can mean so much to a person.

I echo all the comments before these are two of the greatest pro wrestling podcasts ever produced. Congratulations.

Just want to similarly echo the positive sentiment toward the show. Great job, guys! These were a blast to listen to. I was also touched by Chad's #1 reflections in RE: his personal life and fandom. This past year movies surpassed wrestling as my full-time hobby but in the last couple weeks I've sort of rediscovered or at least welcomed back my love of wrestling and could relate to that proud acknowledgement of being a real lifelong fan. Looking forward to the Beach Blast show and beyond.

Just watched Abby/ Shiek vs the Funks -'crazy ! The violence was just sick and loved how they made he effort to meticulously use the spike to destroy Terry's arm while being sure to have it at just the right angle so the ref didn't see it. I love how Abby,is,the workhorse of his team. The finish when Terry comes back with the taped arm and fist is just great. What a wild, violent brawl. I must see more 70s abdullAh.

I also want the full list ! I'd love to try to watch every match you,guys mentioned eventually.

Where is that 78 Funks v. Abdullah and Sheik match? I've the 77 and 79 matches, but can't find the 78 one for the life of me. Is it possible that Parv got the date wrong?

Where is that 78 Funks v. Abdullah and Sheik match? I've the 77 and 79 matches, but can't find the 78 one for the life of me. Is it possible that Parv got the date wrong?

youtube.com/watch?v=OYxTsZ1pdJQ is that the right match?

• 2 weeks later...