Pro Wrestling Only

[1988-01-16-NWA-Pro] Nikita Koloff vs Dick Murdoch

Superstar Sleeze

NWA World TV Champion Nikita Koloff vs Dick Murdoch - NWA 1/16/88

I think I am going to like this Dicky Murdoch character. I really like camp in my wrestling and find Murdoch’s selling entertaining without affecting the gravity of the contest too much at least in this match, but I can see if he kicked it into overdrive he could undercut the match. The match turns the standard TV title defense on its head with Murdoch (the heel & Jim Cornette’s mercenary) pouring the offense on late to win, but because it was started with a Cornette racquet shot (the ref was decked by an errant Russian Sickle) you are left rooting for Koloff to be resilient and withstand this barrage that was brought about by nefarious tactics. Murdoch is deceptively big especially tall as he is bigger than Koloff and really throws him around towards the end especially with some big bombs like the piledriver and Brainbuster. He does have a nice punch that Koloff sold nicely. Having Dusty & Windham come out along with the MX added to the drama down the stretch. Earlier in the match, I thought it was weird they teased Koloff punching Murdoch in the corner and paid it off so late that it got no pop. Murdoch just went into a really nice heat segment centered around the arm without paying the punch off. It was during the heat segment you could tell Murdoch can be a great mat wrestler. Koloff’s comeback mostly for Murdoch’s facial expressions of cowardice. I loved him slumping down in the corner after Koloff rocked him with punches and his facial expression before taking the press slam off the top. I am looking forward to watching his Mid-South classics. I thought I would watch some of his TV matches to get a feel for him first and liked what I saw. ***3/4

• GSR changed the title to [1988-01-16-NWA-Pro] Nikita Koloff vs Dick Murdoch