Pro Wrestling Only

[1984-09-03-WCCW-Fort Worth, TX] Fabulous Freebirds vs Kerry & Kevin & Mike Von Erich (Cage Elimination)

Superstar Sleeze

World Six-Man Tag Team Champions Fabulous Freebirds vs Von Erichs (Kerry, Kevin & Mike) - WCCW 9/3/84 Steel Cage Elimination Match

Another raucous, chaotic brawl this time in the confines of the smallest steel cage in the history of pro wrestling. Gordy was taller than the cage. Mike had suffered a shoulder injury so this Kerry and Kevin going against their bitter rivals, the Freebirds. I liked this even better than the previous Badstreet match because the numbers game added an interesting wrinkle. Any time the Von Erichs looked to get on a roll, the free Freebird would bust it up. Also, the Von Erich would focus on things like double noggin knockers and other ways to incapacitate two opponents at once. It added some cool strategy. Of course, there was a ton of heel miscommunication. Lots of cage shots and boots. The big climax to the shine was Kerry applying the double claw on Gordy and Buddy while Kevin had it on Hayes. Hayes busted that up. Gordy applied the Oriental Spike on Kerry which weakened him for the Spike Piledriver. I was shocked that Kerry was the first to be eliminated. Kevin going up the seemingly insurmountable of 3 vs 1 definitely made things interesting. Kevin is the scrappy fighter of the Von Erich clan so he was perfect for this role. I loved him on the top rope with a boot in his hand. He has a weapon and the high ground. He dives into the fray and it was Buddy choking him with a belt that looked to do him in. He was able to get a quick roll up on Hayes, but it was evident that the 3 on 1 advantage meant quick pinfall break ups. He would some how have to incapacitate all of them. His only ally was the cage and he started throwing the Birds into it. He was able to get a pin on Hayes! It was down to 2 on 1. Gordy and Roberts beat the shit out of him and werent playing any games. Gordy nails a piledriver. He pulls up Kevin ruh roh. Robert scales the cage seemingly for the Super Spike Piledriver. However, Kevin backdrops Gordy as Mike shakes the cage. Kevin splashes Gordy and Mike pins Buddy after his long fall on his nuts. Von Erichs win!

I was not super enamored with the finish. I hate to speak ill of Mike Von Erich because by all accounts he never wanted to be a wrestler, but it did not feel like he earned his stripes and it was just a hokey finish. I really like the heated and energetic flow of the match. The '84 matches definitely do not hold a candle to the '83 matches. Definitely the case of diminishing returns. Texas was flying high in 1983, but by 1984 the cracks were showing and it was getting stale. Still a great match. ***3/4

• 2 years later...

I loved this. As I am making my journey through World Class in depth for the first time, Kevin has become my favorite of the VE's. So, I really got into the visual of him fighting all three of the Freebirds off after Kerry was taken out. I'd probably have it ranked a little higher around **** or so. The finish didn't bother me as much.

• GSR changed the title to [1984-09-03-WCCW-Fort Worth, TX] Fabulous Freebirds vs Kerry & Kevin & Mike Von Erich (Cage Elimination)