Pro Wrestling Only

Tag Teams Back Again Episode 10: "The WWF's Most Unusual Tag Teams"

http://placetobenation.com/tag-teams-back-again-episode-10-the-wwfs-most-unusual-tag-teams/

20tqqlt.jpg

Join Kelly and Marty for a free-wheeling ride through unusual 1987 WWF tag teams! All the stars are here. Hogan! Savage! Piper! Kim Chee! Steamboat! Race! SB (Special Bee) Jones!

Matches discussed:

Roddy Piper, Ricky Steamboat, JYD vs Adrian Adonis, "King" Harley Race, Randy Savage, Elimination Match, 2/23 MSG
Hulk Hogan, Roddy Piper, Billy Jack Haynes vs Adrian Adonis, Hercules, Paul Orndorff, Elimination Match, 3/7 Boston
Hulk Hogan and Roddy Piper vs Kamala and Paul Orndorff, 3/14 Philly
B. Brian Blair and SB Jones vs Demolition, 6/1 Kitchener
Hulk Hogan and Koko B. Ware vs Kamala and The Honky Tonk Man, 6/2 Buffalo

Playlist

Listening right now where Kelly is talking re the memorable magazine cover. As soon as he said those words, I knew the one he was talking about.

The Steamboat/Piper/JYD vs Savage/Adonis/Race match, that is so much fun to watch. A lot of star power and I like too that it had a different flavour from everything else of the time. I watch that match about once a year. And yeah, Slick is funny on commentary.

Hogan/Piper/Haynes vs Orndorff/Herc/Adonis while not as good a match was still a fun watch.

Agree with Kelly where he said the Hogan/Kamala singles matches were a good watch. If one of those had been on PPV or SNME, they'd be a lot more talked about.

Hogans magnetism was phenomenal, as mentioned by Marty.

Special Bee-livery Jones, an honorary Bee. Not really much honor there. Great topic bringing up masked confusion between Blair and Jones :)

Hogan/Koko vs Kamala/Honky, the commentator you couldn't place was Craig De George. I remember him most for being the man holding the mic when DiBiase first stated he was going to buy the WWF World title.

One fun thing I like with Hogan is how he plays well with his tag partner in taking on their mannerisms, such as Koko's bird flapping arms, JYDs dance, etc.

Thanks for the shout out re the match recommendations. Any others I see that I think could do with the TTBA treatment, I will post them up here.

Great listen guys, thanks for covering the tag team facet of wrestling so well. Many memories bought up every ep. Always look forward to your next show.

Going through my match listings, found some from mid 1987 you may be able to track down if you have not seen them;

Bulldogs/Haynes vs Harts/Davis 14 June 1987

Hogan/Patera vs Herc/Race 26 June 1987

Tito/Jake/Bruno vs Harts/Honky 15 August 1987

JYD/Steele vs Demolition 22 August 1987

Lord Kitchener had an absolutely glorious moustache.

lord-kitchener-your-country-needs-you.jp

I'd be surprised if that image wasn't also iconic in the US and elsewhere in the world. Certainly is here.

I think the Uncle Sam poster was modeled on the Kitchener one.

He did have other posters too, he was the public face of the army.

lossy-page1-300px-Men,_Materials,_and_Mo

3g11305u-1042.jpg

Kitchener is also pretty famous for being the guy responsible for the basically disasterous "dig a trench, go over the line, and wait for the Germans to shoot you" strategy that dominated World War 1. The standard critique would be that he took tactics that worked against Zulus armed with spears and applied them in a situation in which they were outmoded.

This was spoofed famously in Blackadder in the character of General Melchett played by Stephen Fry.

melchett.jpg

That show in general does a great job of exposing the absurdity of the British high command during that war for which Kitchener was (literally) the poster boy.

Thanks guys.

Can Ams vs Harts, wow, whatta super match with a hot crowd. A Rick Martel hot tag is one of the prime reasons I am in love with 80s tag wrestling.

At about the 11 minute mark, Bret scurries from the ring, with Zenk in pursuit. It looks like Bret legit mows Jimmy Hart down, it didn't look a spot.

I would have liked Zenk to stick around, even a few more months, to get more from these two teams.

Thanks guys.

Can Ams vs Harts, wow, whatta super match with a hot crowd. A Rick Martel hot tag is one of the prime reasons I am in love with 80s tag wrestling.

At about the 11 minute mark, Bret scurries from the ring, with Zenk in pursuit. It looks like Bret legit mows Jimmy Hart down, it didn't look a spot.

I would have liked Zenk to stick around, even a few more months, to get more from these two teams.

OUI! OUI!