Pro Wrestling Only

Colt Cabana

Dylan Waco

Is he even one of the top 100 ROH workers? (Note: let's not make this list.)

I don't hate his wrestling, and I'm someone who thinks wrestling needs way more comedy, but a lot of his shtick is pretty hack. I shouldn't judge any worker by their podcast - wouldn't be fair to Flair - but even though I often enjoy the guests on Cabana's, he often sounds like Rupert Pupkin on there.

Cabana is someone that I feel like I have hated since the Homicide feud in ROH and his persona now strikes me as one of the most ungenuine in wrestling so I was pleasantly surprised when going back and watching early IWA-MS that Colt was more well versed as a super indy worker where he would sprinkle in his comedy. So far between Hero, Punk, and Cabana all three have impressed but Cabana is more polished from a persona and execution standpoint early on in his career.

EDIT to Dylan's question below. I don't know if Cabana will find my list or not, but I am thinking of carving out my last five for more personal picks and have really enjoyed the trek I have made into the indy stuff from the first part of the decade. The stuff I have watched holds up better than I would have imagined.

Chad nominated, so I'm interested to see if he's someone he is seriously considering or not.

It's hard for me to be objective about Cabana because of my personal disdain for him, but I don't want to go too overboard with the hate. Yes his schtick is hammy and overdone, and yes I have seen him drag great workers down to his level (he's the only guy I saw Finlay have a truly bad match with during his indie tour), but I've also seen him in good matches over the years. I think at his best his biggest strength is that he really does have a connection with a certain type of indie fan/audience and as a result he can have some very strong moments of babyface fire. If pressed I'm sure I could find a reasonable amount of Cabana matches I really like, and I think at one point he was a good worker, though I don't think he was ever a great one. Still he's the kind of guy I could see some people including as a lower tier pick so I'm fine with him having a thread.

I've had a few friends in the local indie scene who have told me stories of Colt gladly stepping all over them if they weren't a part of his circle. He's been known to steal ideas from other wrestlers, as well as to start rumors about wrestlers to get them kicked off of bookings that he can then swoop in on. The only issues I've had where I was involved dealt with him using religion/ethnicity against someone I was with in a very demeaning way.

No one asked me, but I was at a show in New Orleans on Wrestlemania weekend two years ago where Cabana was selling merchandise. A fan was excited to see him and asked if he remembered meeting him while acknowledging that Cabana probably didn't. Cabana was super rude and acted as if the guy was insane and completely dismissed him. I just watched and observed and he kept acting like he was too good to be there. He had a real air of superiority about him even though he was hawking DVDs at a show he wasn't even on.

• 6 years later...

In his prime, he was very competent in the ring and when he was with guys who could really squeeze something from a good hand, he could have some pretty solid matches, not gonna lie. I think if someone honestly went back to his earlier days and did a deep dive, they could very easily get a list of good to great showings that he was in, especially during his tag days with Punk, whom he worked well with. How much of that is his own talent and how much is him sharing the ring with some of the best of that era (including Styles, Joe, Danielson, Nigel McGuinness, etc etc) is another matter through.

I hate his comedy shtick so much. He's the main reason why I usually skip a lot of undercard comedy matches in the first place: repetitive bullshit that relies on his opponents looking like complete dumbasses and essentially burying them for a cheap pop. For some bizarre reason NOAH kept having him be showcased going over legit top talent for no fucking reason, stunk up the ring every time he wasn't sharing it with Hero alongside him. It's sad that he's the most well known comedy worker when there's guys that completely trump his nonsense with half of the opportunities he has. No way he gets in the top 300, let alone anything near the main list. Guy has tried so hard to get rid of the comedy ceiling and he just can't now, even when back in RoH and having all of the resources and experience to do so: that is a true sign of bad character work.